Scroll Msg in Older Program

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
stringtheory
New User

Scroll Msg in Older Program

Post by stringtheory »

XMBC Version: v2.17
Windows Version: Microsoft Windows Server 2016 64bit (Terminal Server)
Mouse Information (brand/model): Various (HID/Remote Desktop Mouse Device)
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC or Windows?: No
How long have you used XMBC?: A couple of weeks :)
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: EN/US

Clear description of the problem:
Hi There,

I have an odd problem with an older program where I have to use the "Method 1: SCROLL Msg" Scroll Method, as the program doesn't seem to respond to the mouse wheel otherwise.

As a local administrator user on this server, this works flawlessly.

However, once I take my user out of the administrators group, I have to mouse hover OUTSIDE of the window, then mouse back in, then it will scroll as expected, until I click on one of the tabs inside the window - At which point, I have to mouse out of the window again.

This is a terminal server/remote desktop session host, so it is not feasible to have users as administrators. Any ideas?

Some further info:
Installed with the profile path to C:\xbmc\
Running with switches: /notportable /profile:C:\xmbc\XMBCSettings.xml
Pretty close to default settings, except a profile for this application with the scroll method set. Have played with the settings a lot (particularly hover/activate/profile switch settings)
If I override Wheel Up and Down to keypresses {UP} and {DOWN} (in this case I selected a specific section of the window, rather than the entire application), this works somewhat as expected, though sometimes will scroll through the tabs.
Have an image if you want a visual, but don't believe I can attach.

Thanks! :)
phil
Site Admin

Re: Scroll Msg in Older Program

Post by phil »

Hi, new users are required to make 3 posts (I think its 3 - it may be 5) before they can attach images/urls etc.

You can email the image to me if you like (phil at highrez dot co dot uk).
What is the application?

If it works as admin but not regular user then that normally suggests that XMBC is not running as an accessibility tool. You say you installed to c:\xmbc? Do you mean the actual application or just the profile?

If XMBC is not installed under program files then the first think to try is to install XMBC (not the portable version) under c:\program files (ie. the default location) as Windows will ONLY allow programs installed under program files (or c:\windows\system32 bizarrely) to act as accessibility tools and interact with different privilege apps. If that makes a difference, please let me know. If not I will have to investigate further.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
stringtheory
New User

Post by stringtheory »

Thanks. Sorry, should have been clearer, it is installed in program files. Just the config in C:\xmbc. I had tried the portable version prior to install if that makes a difference.

The other thing I forgot to mention is I have it running on login via a HKCU run reg key, as I only wanted some users to run it. IE. I removed the original key (I think it was in HKLM). Have also tried running via a shortcut with the profile switch added (want all users to have the same settings).

It's an obscure program called PPG Business
Manager. I'll have to grab the pic when I get back to work.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK, thats a shame, I was hoping it would be an installation issue....
Running XMBC on HKCU is not a problem

The next thing to check is to open the settings window (when running as a non-admin user) and make sure the correct profile is being detected. It will be highlighted (red (or yellow if selected) text) in the profile list if XMBC has activated the profile (ie. if the cursor is over the window).

I guess the next step is to send me some relevant debug log (turn on debug logging in settings->updates and logging tab then OK and apply that) while you try and scroll the window so I can see if XMBC is attempting to send the scroll messages. I suspect it will be sending them but they will not be getting through (for whatever reason). Is the target application running at the same user privilege level as XMBC or higher (is it running as admin for example)?

In the mean time I will try and reproduce the problem after work (its rare I run XMBC as a normal (non-admin) user, so it is likely to be a more general problem and not app specific that I haven't noticed before... Weather I can do anything about may be a different matter!).

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
stringtheory
New User

Post by stringtheory »

I sent you a couple of emails with logs and a pic. Thanks for your help :cheers:
stringtheory
New User

Post by stringtheory »

After reviewing the logs, Phil let me know that this was to do with an issue in 2.17, related to process integrity levels, which was fixed in version 2.18.

I've tested 2.18 beta and can confirm.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Thanks for letting me (and everyone else) know that my theory was correct.
I hope 2.18 will be released pretty soon - although probably not before Christmas now - maybe just after assuming the current beta throws up no more issues (no complaints yet) :)
--[ Phil ]--