Reversed buttons 4 and 5 not working as they should.

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
MGlolenstine
New User

Reversed buttons 4 and 5 not working as they should.

Post by MGlolenstine »

XMBC Version: v2.17
Windows Version: Win7
Mouse Information (brand/model): Zelotes T-80
Computer Information: FX-8320, 16GB RAM, SSD
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC or Windows?: no
How long have you used XMBC?: for about a week
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: Slovenian keyboard layout and english language

Clear description of the problem: My mouse comes with inverted backwards and forwards buttons. I have no idea why, but I don't have any other solutions, except for key mapping.

But there is a problem with some of the applications. Chrome works fine with reversed buttons, but Discord doesn't discord detects, as though both buttons were pressed simultaneously. It's annoying, so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or does discord grab input directly from mouse and windows, so it gets both.

Thanks for your help.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Reversed buttons 4 and 5 not working as they should.

Post by phil »

Sorry, I'm not completely clear what you are saying... Are you saying that when you enable swap 4th and 5h buttons" in XMBC, then discord sees the original (un-swapped) button AND the swapped button at the same time?

That sounds likely and I think I can explain why. Discord, being a chat tool that works in the background probably hooks the mouse or uses Direct Input to receive the mouse buttons at a lower level and work globally. XMBC uses similar techniques (mouse hooks). When XMBC "blocks" the source input, my guess it that Discord has already seen and acted on it, so it sees it, and then it also sees the reversed injected button that XMBC sends - hence you get two actions.

If Discord is using mouse hooks, it may depend which application starts first, but at the end of the day, unless you can disable this feature in discord itself, then you may be in trouble (esp. as discord is global sou you cant just setup a profile to disable button swapping in discord) :(.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I don't know discord but maybe you can disable the trigger on mouse buttons and instead, use a global key hotkey sequence or something that you can send from XMBC on the 4th and 5th buttons using simulated keystrokes? I'll see if I can reproduce this later (I don't have discord at the moment but will ty and install it to test this out).
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
MGlolenstine
New User

Post by MGlolenstine »

Thanks for the responses, I've contacted the company that released the mouse, and they said that they're going to give me drivers.

Thanks for all the help!