Double-click on middle button works only intermittently

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Econdoc
New User

Double-click on middle button works only intermittently

Post by Econdoc »

XMBC Version: 2.17 Portable
Windows Version: 10
Mouse Information (brand/model): Microsoft Intellimouse Optical
Computer Information: Intel i3, 8GB RAM, SSD, Windows is up-to-date.
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC or Windows?: No
How long have you used XMBC?: On this computer, this was a new install. I have used it on another computer for years.
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: UK English

Clear description of the problem:I installed the portable, 64K version of XMBC. I set the middle button to double click. This works very well in Window Explorer, desktop icons and most other places. I will not work in TotalCommander for selecting a folder or a file. As an aside, I am using XMBC on a different Windows 10 computer where double click works faultlessly.
What can I do to fix this? Thanks
phil
Site Admin

Re: Double-click on middle button works only intermittently

Post by phil »

OK not entirely sure - it looks like this is one I will have to try and reproduce here and see if its a bug/compatibility issue between XMBC and totalcommander. Is totcalcommander still free - I haven't used it for many years but if its freely available it will make it easier for me to test here.

Thanks
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Econdoc
New User

Post by Econdoc »

Thanks for getting back. Yes, TotalCommander (TC) still has shareware versions available. However, I do not know that TC is the entire problem. On my other desktop computer, also running Win 10 and XMouse, I have no problems with the double click with TC. The differences between the two computers are installed XMBC vs portable XMBC and the mice themselves. The computer that works just fine is using an Amazon basics USB mouse, and the computer that has issues is using the MS Intellimouse Optical (which no longer has a driver for Win 10.) I am mystified!
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

First thing to try, switch the mice over - perhaps the "expensive" one has developed a fault (this is not uncommon unfortunately).
When the button does not work, is it still highlighting in XMBC.doing anything else? if it is then its probably not the mouse, but worth checking!

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
Econdoc
New User

Post by Econdoc »

I first tried to switch mice as you suggested and that did not work. I got this to work by deleting the portable version and installing the "regular" version. So somewhere is different in the portable version. Thanks for your suggestions.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Interesting...
Is total commander running with any elevated privileges?
There are some thing that don't work in portable mode - normally thing that require XMBC to run as an accessibility tool - such as some key sequences like Win+X on Windows 10. I'm surprised however that it makes a difference for double click, unless its privilege related.

The actual codebase/build is identical between the installed and portable version - the only difference being related to Windows accessibility tools which MUST be installed under the programfiles folder in order to interact with processes running at a higher privilege level and to send some privileged windows commands/keystrokes.

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
Econdoc
New User

Post by Econdoc »

TotalCommander is running as Administrator. I don't understand why that matters, but I guess that you understand, and that is all that matters.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Well, it matters because Windows will not allow a process running as a normal lowly user (XMBC) to interact and control a process running as administrator - for (I think) fairly obvious reasons!!!.

If you run XMBC portable as administrator, it might work but the only real option to allow XMBC to interact with other processes running as admin is to use the installed version which allows it to run as a Windows Accessibility tool (Thank MS for that requirement - which again kind'a makes sense from a security standpoint - Windows accessibility tools MUST be digitally signed (which costs money) and must be installed under the program files folder!).

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--