Support for UWP apps

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
miQlo

Support for UWP apps

Post by miQlo »

XMBC Version: 2.18 Beta 11
Windows Version: Windows 10 Enterprise 1607 14393.2430
Mouse Information (brand/model): Logitech MX Master
Computer Information: -
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC or Windows?: Don't know
How long have you used XMBC?: >5 years
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: SWE/EN / SWE/SWE

Clear description of the problem:
I'm not able to choose a "Specific Window" from Adobe XD (UWP app). I'd like to have different settings for panels and the main document area, but it looks like the whole app is one "window".
Is this something that is true for all UWP apps or is Adobe XD designed this way or is XMBC lacking support for UWP apps?
If XMBC lacks support, is it possible to implement this?
phil
Site Admin

Re: Support for UWP apps

Post by phil »

In short, I don't think its possible.

XMBC examines the window under the cursor, in a traditional windows app, each control is its own window, has its own window class etc. but in a UWP app, the entire window is a "traditional" window (and often it is simply a "host" window). Inside that, individual controls are rendered by the engine a little bit like a browser does - and in the same way, you cant find individual elements/controls in a browser window, you cant in a UWP app. Therefore, it is impossible from XMBC to register when the cursor is over a sub window/particular window class (as is available for traditional windows programs).

XMBC has already had to work around the fact that most UWP apps are hosted inside a host window that is generic (one host window for multiple apps) and so even finding individual UWP apps and differentiating between apps was tricky. I don't believe the traditional win32 API (that XMBC uses) is able to go any deeper into the content of a UWP window.

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
miQlo

Post by miQlo »

Thanks for the explanation.

I did a quick search to see if there was a snoop tool for UWP, I was thinking that if there is then it should also be possible for XMBC to see the controls the same way. I only found one which you probably already know of, XAML Spy. I'm not sure if snooping only is possible when the app is in debug mode? XAML Spy is configured to work only when the app is build in debug mode. But since it's configured, it sounds like it's possible to configure snooping to work on a release build?

http://xamlspy.com/learn/xaml-spy-for-windows

I'm not sure about what I'm reading here but maybe this will help?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... esktop-app
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Didn't have a long look at that, but on first glance this would be a show stopper!....
In order to spy a Windows app, a small XAML Spy client library needs to be referenced by the app.
That would rely on the app author linking that in the release app - hardly likely... And it would require interfacing to XAML Spy also - which I cant imagine will be straight forward from another program!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)