CHANGE TO ONE LAYER TO ANOTHER ONE

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
diegoxeneize
New User

CHANGE TO ONE LAYER TO ANOTHER ONE

Post by diegoxeneize »

XMBC Version: Latest
Windows Version: 10
Mouse Information (brand/model): Thermaltake talonx
Computer Information:
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC or Windows?: Never knew how to make it happen.
How long have you used XMBC?: Like for 4 years
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: English

Clear description of the problem: Hello, I use this macro to play APB Reloaded. I press F1 and F2 (f3, f4, etc) to change to certain layers (to layer 1, 2, 3, etc) but there's a problem, F1, F2, F3, etc don't work in-game because i'm using it with the macro.

I want to keep changing from one layer to another layer with F1, F2, etc but i also want the keybuttons F1,F2, F3 to work IN GAME too. Right now, if I press f1, it doesn't do what it is suppose to do in GAME, it only changes the layer.

Thanks, i hope there isn't a topic like this already.
phil
Site Admin

Re: CHANGE TO ONE LAYER TO ANOTHER ONE

Post by phil »

There isn't a topic like this already...
Are you using global hotkeys to set F1, F2 etc. If so, thats probably going to cause the game not to see the keys.

Unfortunately, there is not a simple solution (not in XMBC anyway). You have the option of global hotkeys (which will likely cause Windows/Games etc to not see the key) or layer modifier keys, which do not get blocked, but only switch the layer while the key is held down.

There are other ways to switch layers, but nothing thats going to be easy / without the use of external software to trigger the layer switch command). I think it might be possible to change the behavior of the layer modifier keys so that they can be used as toggles OR to switch the layer like the global hotkeys - but that will be quite a big code change and not something I can commit any time to in the near future (I have no spare weekends for the next 8 weeks and there are other things on the list which will have to come first (as they have been waiting for ages)).

In the mean time, you could use autohotkey to trigger layer changes in XMBC - as XMBC layers can be switched using the command line interface, you could script autohotkey to switch the layers and not interfere with the key press so the game will still see it. If you want to try this and need more information just ask, but if you run XMBC from the command line, with /? it will tell you what arguments are available!

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
diegoxeneize
New User

Post by diegoxeneize »

Thanks for answering, unfortunately autohotkey isn't allowed in that game, but XMBC is allowed, that's why i'm using it.

It really helps a lot but sucks that the game doesn't see F1,F2 when i press them.

regards!
islamsaab
New User

Post by islamsaab »

IF that possible, rebind ingame F1 fucntion to any other button (lts say num1), and add in XMBC script somthing like {WAIT:1}{NUM1} :D
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Unfortunately, the problem is with global hotkeys (I think - it was never actually confirmed) in that using the key as a global hotkey causes the game to stop seeing it. It is not a problem mapping a mouse button to a key, but mapping a key to change layers.

When you choose a global hotkey (eg. F1), Windows swallows those up and they will not be passed to the game. You could use layer modifier keys instead but they only switch the layer while the key is held down. What is needed here is a effectively a layer modifier key (that is not blocked) and a sticky layer that does not switch back when the key is released. And thats a code change (it might be a simple one to have a checkbox next to the layer modifier key setup to say keep the layer active or release it with the key).

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)