Problem with layer 2 modifier key among other.

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Adrianrff
Dedicated

Re: just a TEST reporting

Post by Adrianrff »

phil wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:01 am
sukemaru wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:23 pm But, set MMB to SimKey {SHIFT}S (for typing Large-S w/o CapsLock) on Layer-3, presed [CTRL] and MMB, then "Save as" panel was open (CTRL + SHIFT + S) too... :(
Yes that is expected because you are after all holding CTRL down to switch layers. XMBC can not block the CTRL key (or any key) even temporarily - it would cause destruction to most peoples everyday use of the keyboard!

But I didn't think this was what was being reported. If it is then I'm sorry for the confusion. I think however, this is related to how XMBC sends keys if a key is already held down... It should effectively say "Shift is already down, so I don't need to send it" and then, "I didn't send shift, so I don't need to release it" but Im guessing that its not sending it, but it is releasing it or something. Although I cant see how portable will make any difference there.

I'm also not 100% sure how setting the simkey to "method 2 (button release) would make any difference, because shift is still down. But I will have to look at the code and see what is going on under the debugger and for that I will need more time (and time is limited right now what with my weekends being more busy than usual (and far cry 5 being released :p).

Regards
Phil
Sorry, Phil, I think I need to clarify things a bit.

I was having several problems, one of them was the modifier key being held down after using it in combination with a configured mouse button (a few other wierd things happened in this case, too). Another problem, totally different, is that sometimes, when using a button chord or mouse held action (without using a modifier key), one of the buttons will remain pressed. For example, I have mouse button 4 held for SIMKEY CTRL + 7, in this case the middle button will remain pressed like 50% of the times. In this case, using button released "solves" the problem because, I guess, the button has already been released before sending the ksystrokes. Another example is Button 4 + right click (this performs a copy action, configured through XMBC). In this case sometimes the right button of the mouse will remain pressed, but this happens less often that the button held problem.

I'm attaching my profile again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sukemaru
Committed

Re: Problem with layer 2 modifier key among other.

Post by sukemaru »

I could not reproduce your problems with your attached profile XML. Button4+Other chording and Layer Modifier Key worked correctly (any strange behaviors did not happen). In addition, I replaced SimKeys {CTRL}{7} with {CTRL}{TAB}, so when I pressed [SHIFT] key (for Layer Modifier Key) down it functioned as SHIFT+CTRL+TAB.

The layer switch often reverted into Layer-1 if I held pressing [SHIFT] key down and 1 second passed, -- coz I was not used to your profile settings... :( If you use Layer-2 with [SHIFT] key ONLY (NOT using other methods for switching layers), I think that it is not necessary to enable "Switch to Layer 1 after 1 second" option in Layer-2 tab.

NOTE:
XMBC v2.18 beta 9 (portable installed)
OS - WinXP home SP3
Locale - JPN
Mouse - Logitech MX Anywhere (w/o Setpoint software) **in usual, I use SetPoint to remap Tilt buttons**

It was just a TEST with foobar2000 and firefox running, but the "issue" of keeping any keys/buttons held down did not occur, (coz maybe due to a short time.)
ref. "loosing clickability Foobar2000+FFportable"
https://forums.highrez.co.uk/viewtopic. ... dda77b0a74

Regards,
suke
Logitech AnywhereMX (7 Btn), M555b (5 Btn) w/ SetPoint v6.32
Microsoft WirelessLaserMouse8000 (5 Btn), WLM5000 (5 Btn) w/ IntelliPoint v6.30
XMBC: now Latest BETA as Portable (since v1.48, 2009)
sukemaru
Committed

Re: Problem with layer 2 modifier key among other.

Post by sukemaru »

Adrianrff wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:58 pm
phil wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:01 am
sukemaru wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:23 pm But, set MMB to SimKey {SHIFT}S (for typing Large-S w/o CapsLock) on Layer-3, presed [CTRL] and MMB, then "Save as" panel was open (CTRL + SHIFT + S) too... :(
Yes that is expected because you are after all holding CTRL down to switch layers. XMBC can not block the CTRL key (or any key) even temporarily - it would cause destruction to most peoples everyday use of the keyboard!

But I didn't think this was what was being reported. If it is then I'm sorry for the confusion. I think however, this is related to how XMBC sends keys if a key is already held down...

(...)
Sorry, Phil, I think I need to clarify things a bit.
When using Layer Modifier Keys (Shift or Ctrl or etc. / for example [CTRL] for Layer-3), the physical keystroke [CTRL] is synthesized with the simulated keystrokes {SHIFT}S. In this case, SimKey acts as [CTRL]+{SHIFT}+S in Layer-3. If the target apps dont have CTRL+SHIFT+S or CTRL+S for Hotkeys, that SimKey may work as CTRL+S or SHIFT+S or nothing in Layer-3. (To open "Save as" panel in the report is an unique function of the target app.)
It seems the behavior that Phil intended and expected.

And... perhaps, Phil did not expect that {RELEASE}{CTRL} would work to counteract [CTRL] key without reverting the layer switch. (In the future, there are possibilities that {RELEASE} tag may not work the same way if Phil look at and update the codes/behaviors of Layer Modifier Keys or SimKeys. :?: )

suke
Logitech AnywhereMX (7 Btn), M555b (5 Btn) w/ SetPoint v6.32
Microsoft WirelessLaserMouse8000 (5 Btn), WLM5000 (5 Btn) w/ IntelliPoint v6.30
XMBC: now Latest BETA as Portable (since v1.48, 2009)