Windows Pointer Speed ignored, overwritten?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Automouser
New User

Windows Pointer Speed ignored, overwritten?

Post by Automouser »

I've recently noticed something that's annoyed me about XMBC.

I decided to increase the DPI setting on the mouse and lower the Windows pointer speed, in an attempt to keep the same speed I'm used to while hoping the higher polling rate would make the pointer smoother (feels better but anyway..)

Since then I noticed that when Windows starts the Windows Pointer Speed would reset to the previous, faster, setting. I first thought it was a Windows issue but found XMBC was responsible for altering (reverting) this setting when it launches, closes, etc.

Unless I'm missing something, this is rather annoying as it means Windows Pointer Speed settings would have to be applied exclusively via XMBC rendering that option in Control Panel useless, or worse misleading and confusing and constantly reverting.

If this is unavoidable in current versions perhaps make XMBC update its own speed setting to match the Windows setting. Let the value in Windows/registry be the master from which applications obtain the current system pointer speed.

Right now XMBC is storing its own speed value and ignores changes to the Windows/registry value, overwriting it at regular points. This just doesn't seem like a good way to go about things, not only does it mean using XMBC makes the Control Panel option useless but any other program with that option would also have a problem. Also imagine the joy if two programs overlapping in even just one setting if both had this kind of logic, both ignoring the Windows value and both constantly overwriting it with their own conflicting value.

Again unless I'm missing something which I hope I am, this seems a really poor way to go about something.

XMBC Version: v2.15(P) and v2.17(P)
Windows Version: 7 x64
Mouse Information (brand/model): CMStorm Recon - POS (Piece of Shi...)
Computer Information: beep-boop?
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC or Windows?: past and present v's of XMBC
How long have you used XMBC?: wow, possibly since the very start.
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: English UK/RSA can't remember, qwerty.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Windows Pointer Speed ignored, overwritten?

Post by phil »

XMBC reads the windows setting when it launches and is supposed to revert to that when it exits.
When you change the slider in XMBC, it modifies the windows setting because its the same setting after all.

However, it is possible, if you change the slider in Windows, XMBC is not noticing that and therefore setting it back to the "old" setting. I will have a look and see if thats the case, and if XMBC can see the change when made outside in the windows control panel (should be able to see that).

The reason XMBC does this is because you can override this setting on a per-applicaiton basis, so XMBC needs to be able to set the setting on the fly as the active application changes. But certainly, it should update its "default" when changing it in Windows.

Ive added it to my bug list :).
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)