¿Pc killing my wired mouse?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Secvndvs
New User

¿Pc killing my wired mouse?

Post by Secvndvs »

XMBC Version: Not using actually
Windows Version: W7 64 bits
Mouse Information (brand/model): Dragon War/ ELE-G3
Computer Information: Not relevant for this topic?
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC or Windows?: Not relevant for this topic
How long have you used XMBC?: Not using actually
What language and keyboard layout do you use?: No idea

Post might be not directly related to XMBC, but i couldn't ever find anything related to this on internet. Fell free to ignore if you dont care or think shouldn't be on this forum

Clear description of the problem: Well, i have this problem with the mouse, but i actually had it with other too. You'll see, with the first mouse, after a while, it started stutering (not sure if thats the word in english, but the mouse fluctuates speed or get freezes and get back at normal very fast many times) and used to turn off and on by itself. I just left that mouse, and its curious how after not using it for months, i can try it again and it will work good for a few days.

Now, with this mouse, it just lasted 1 month maybe. The most interesting thing is that through that time i felt two electric shocks and the mouse turned off and on. Now, it stuter too, and some times works again, and then not. Its pretty random.
USB port is working, i have an old immortal wireless mouse that is still working.
Maybe the pc is killing my mouses with static making their microchips getting bugued? that could explain why my wireless mouse had never this problem.
I'll never buy wired mouses again to be sure, but just wanting to know if there is actually a solution to this or i have to accept i cant conect wired mouses here anymore.
phil
Site Admin

Re: ¿Pc killing my wired mouse?

Post by phil »

Well thats very odd, the fact you "felt" an electric shock is a bit worrying, as the 5 volts and low current that a USB port provides should not be detectable generally.

It may be static or perhaps the mouse wire is wrapped around the mains power chord and getting some induced current (static is much more likely). Either way, it sounds like it has caused some damage to the mouse itself. I'm not really sure what advise I can offer... Are you in a particularly dry environment where static is more generally a problem? Is there any metal surfaces on the mouse itself (normally they are all plastic and wont conduct electricity, static or otherwise.

I personally prefer wired mice on my desktops and Ive never has such a problem.

EDIT: I suppose it could also be a faulty USB bus causing voltage spikes, but again, Id be surprised it it were enough to feel. Have you got any externally powered USB devices (hubs, HDD's etc) that could be injecting unwanted volts onto the USB power lines? I'd think the chances are that that could break other USB devices too (including the PC) so its unlikely but possible.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
injtsvetkov
Fanatic

Post by injtsvetkov »

Have you tried those mice at a different PC to see what happens?

I presume you have tried all USB ports on your PC already so I'm gonna suggest if your PC has an old PS/2 port
PS2.jpg
to get an adapter like this
10-stks-USB-Vrouwelijke-Jack-6-Pin-DIN-PS2-Mannelijke-Plug-kabel-Adapter-Cyaan-Kleur-voor.jpg
and try connecting the mouse to the PS/2 port.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HAMA Mirano
Windows 8.1 x64, Intel i5-3230M @ 2.60GHz, 4GB
Secvndvs
New User

Post by Secvndvs »

About if i tested the mouses after breaking in other computers... i think i did, but now im not to sure since i did A LOT of stuff with that mouse, but i think my past me wasnt too stupid to not do it.

About the enviroment. No, this region is VERY dry. And i have no idea if there are any hiden and strange source of static. Yes, i experienced a cpu killed with this cabinet once, but that was because the frontal USB was a mess (sold like that, not my fault) and somehow one day it killed the cpu. Since then, my frontal conectors are all disconected and also blocked with the plastic door it came with. So that shouldn't be related to this.
The mouse is not touching any metal. I have the mouse pad, and the furniture is wood.

The USB ports are working perfectly, at least for everything except these two mices. As i think i said, i tested them with my old af Logitech generic wireless mouse and i have no problem.
I also preffer wired mouses, obviously, but what choices i have?

About the PS/2 port, i tried it with the other mouse that got problems. I think it didnt work. Not sure if it was fault of the conector or the mouse was uncompatible with it. Anyway, that wont solve anything, the problem with USB ports killing my wired mouses persist :/

If i have powered stuff conected to my USB ports... uh, i dont think so. I don't think i have any device that can inject unwanted volts, never had HDD's and i have no idea what hubs are. And if could have break any usb port, all my other devices (and a wireless mouse) work well so that doesn't seem the case.

I know is very strange. But so far, the theory of the cable of the of the mouse getting current from the main current one is the only reasonable thing. At least, the most possible.

Stuff that only happends to me. Thank you for your awnsers.
injtsvetkov
Fanatic

Post by injtsvetkov »

Secvndvs wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:31 pmStuff that only happens to me.
Oh I've been there in the past (when i bought my first PC), it's really A PAIN IN THE .......... :(
Secvndvs wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:31 pm...but that was because the frontal USB was a mess (sold like that, not my fault) and somehow one day it killed the cpu. Since then, my frontal conectors are all disconected and also blocked with the plastic door it came with. So that shouldn't be related to this.
I think there is a possibility to be related, I'm not an expert but there might be a problem in the Motherboard which affects all USB ports.
Anyway, saying that you've used that USB port with other hardware and it didn't damage anything, makes me think that maybe it supplies slightly less voltage or current instead of spikes (given that the wireless mouse works fine and I presume the wired mouse would require straight 5V and a steady current). Not that you can do anything if that's the case, but you might wanna check to be sure whats going on so you won't get some other device damaged (or worse). I know that measuring the voltage is easy with a multimeter but measuring the max current that the USB port supplies could be dangerous (if possible at all) so if you decide to go there you better find someone who knows electronics :!:

Wow, I haven't thought about that before but it appears that a faulty USB bus could seriously cripple a PC :(

One other thing, I don't know what is the possibility for that but, if I were you I would try to find another power supply for that PC and test if the issue persists.

Good luck mate!
HAMA Mirano
Windows 8.1 x64, Intel i5-3230M @ 2.60GHz, 4GB
Secvndvs
New User

Post by Secvndvs »

Just something more, if someone is interested.
Aftear leaving this "new" mouse with retardation in the dust for a few days, i decided to try something else...
Well, now, when i conect the new mouse, it makes my pointer to constantly go to the left bottom corner. I cant move the pointer with the new mouse but it can make both clicks...
My older mouse still works and i can move it while, but my new mouses keeps pushing it to the corner...
What the actual f**k my computer does to these "new" mouses... god, i swear she is fucking hacking all my mouses or something. This shouldn't be posible.