Simulated Mouse Clicks Cause Screen to Turn Off

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Degritone
New User

Simulated Mouse Clicks Cause Screen to Turn Off

Post by Degritone »

This is not XMouse specific, it happens with any simulated mouse click, even those from autoclickers. But I first noticed it with XMouse since I use it to rebind mouse wheel down to MB3 while playing League of Legends. Everything was working fine and as intended until the evening of 1/14/2018. I had neither downloaded nor updated anything until hours after the issue started in an attempt to fix it.

Once a simulated mouse click is made, my monitor acts as if I had tapped its power button, causing it to sleep until I move my mouse, essentially forcing roughly 1.2 seconds of black screen, or longer if I don't move my mouse. I have tried a different monitor, updating my graphics drivers, etc.. As you can tell by me posting this, the issue still occurs.

My monitor is an Asus MB169B+.
The second monitor I tested on was some old monitor from like 1995. We've had it longer than I've been alive.
My mouse is some old Microsoft mouse from like 2004.
I'm running Windows 10 64-bit
i7-5930K CPU.
I use the installed version of XMouse 2.17.
Main drive is SSD with 190/462GB free.
Second drive is HD with 3.38/3.63TB free.
Keyboard layout is QWERTY, English language
Debug log is in this pastebin.
â””Debug log contains two right clicks reassigned to left clicks, both of which caused the issue, alongside the various stuff involved in setting debug logging on then off
Graphics cards are three NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN Xs
Graphics drivers are up to date
Due to my monitor being what it is, it also has to have the DisplayLink driver installed, and it is also up to date.
16GB RAM
phil
Site Admin

Re: Simulated Mouse Clicks Cause Screen to Turn Off

Post by phil »

This sounds remarkably like this post... viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2772#p14724
I have no idea what could be causing this short of some major bug in Windows/device drivers - and I'm not really sure what to suggest as its not something I have ever seen myself.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
tolvak
New User

Post by tolvak »

I have a very similar problem, and a workaround that seems to have fixed the issue for me.

I have a Logitech M570, and I had Mouse Button 5 set to "Double Click". Using mouse button 5 would cause the screen to go blank some percentage of the time. It did this in a game or on desktop. It actually seemed to happen even more frequently on desktop, but I didn't keep statistics so it could have just been random chance as to how often.

My current workaround was to not use "Double Click" but to instead select "Simulated Keys" from the dropdown, then use "{LMB}{LMB}" (without the quotes) as the Custom Keys to press. This had the same effect as a double click and so far the screen has not turned black on me during this usage. Unfortunately this solution may not work for more complicated actions, but maybe it will help troubleshoot?

Also to give feedback as to what happens when the screen goes blank, it actually is similar to if I unplugged the HDMI cable, it thinks there is no signal for a few seconds, sometimes it comes back fast, sometimes longer. Moving the mouse around seems to make it come back faster, and it seems to last longer on desktop, but once again I didn't keep careful statistics on specifics. I had this happen with two different monitors (an Asus and HP monitor), both were using HDMI. Interestingly, when I was routing sound through the monitor via the HDMI cable, sound would also go out, but if I'm sending sound through external speakers the sound continues to play when the monitor turns off, so the computer is continuing to operate as normal it seems other than the screen being off.

I'm also running Windows 10, I don't recall when I first started seeing the issue, it seems like at least for a number of months, maybe 6 months or longer, I don't recall. I have an nvidia graphics card if it matters, a GTX 1070, I upgraded to that maybe a year and a half ago, and I don't recall if I had the problem on the old nvidia card I had. CPU is i7-4790K. I have a 1GB SSD, though I don't remember the specifics.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Thanks for the info, but it has caused me some more confusion... the double click action should be doing exactly the same thing as sim keys {LMB}{LMB} under the hood - so I don't understand why one option would differ from the other.

The only slight difference I can see is that there may be some additional delays using the simulated keys option over the doubleclick dropdown option - and I cant for the life of me see how a few milliseconds here or there could make such a difference as to kill the monitor output!

The description sounds almost as if it is calling the "Activate monitor power saving" option but again, I cant see how that could be the case after inspecting the code.

And once again, I have not been able to reproduce this on my main desktop, nor my laptop or media PC :( arghhhhh.
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I would be interested to know if this issue is still present in 2.18 Beta 1 (or 2).
I have improved some performance issues when handling button clicks but as I don't really understand how the screen could be being turned off, I doubt it will help but you never know, it could be related. So it would at least be good to know if I need to continue to investigate!
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Please try 2.18 Beta 5 or 6 and see if this problem is better/worse
The double click has been modified slightly so it really does exactly the same as {LMB}{LMB simkeys.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
Photon
New User

Post by Photon »

I've been having the same black screen problem on two desktop computers. Fortunately, tolvak's solution is working for me. Specifically:

Do not set any mouse button to "Double Click".
Instead, select "Simulated Keys" from the dropdown, then enter {LMB}{LMB}

This has solved the black screen problem for me. Thanks for posting this solution, tolvak.

More details
Both of my computers have:
X-Mouse button control, version 2.17
Windows 8.1
Asus Geforce Graphics cards (eg: Asus Geforce GTX 1070)
Dell 27" monitors (eg: U2713H) connected via DisplayPort
Kensington Expert trackball mouse