½ key not working with ACDSee

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
r4ptor
New User

½ key not working with ACDSee

Post by r4ptor »

I've created ½{right} as simulated keystroke, but ACDSee Ultimate 2018 isn't recognizing the ½ part (tilde key / the key above TAB). I tested with Notepad and here it worked.

Previously (until 6 months or so ago) I used X-Mouse along with an earlier version of ACDsee and didn't have this problem.

Any ideas?
phil
Site Admin

Re: ½ key not working with ACDSee

Post by phil »

I'm not familiar with your keyboard layout - that looks like a different key to that on my keyboard (above the tab) I have ¬.
Tilde is above the hash (UK layout). Can you link to a picture just to clarify?

If it worked before and it does not now then either ACDSee has changed or an XMBC change has broken it I guess. You could try older versions of XMBC to ACDSee to test if that is the case?

It may be possible to send the key using {VKC:xxx} where xxx is the virtual keycode for that key required (you may be able to find it on Google or I may if you can assist with the picture of the keyboard/name of the language/layout). But I suspect thats only going to help if the problem is in XMBC (which I doubt but cant be sure).

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
r4ptor
New User

Post by r4ptor »

It's Danish keyboard layout. Following photo shows both Danish and US layouts.

http://www.datacal.com/images/product/large/1114.jpg

I found the root of the problem and it boils down to keyboard layouts. Until about a couple of years ago, I used both Danish and US keyboard layouts throughout many many years whereas now, I only use Danish. I used to do that mainly, and ironically, because of hotkeys and a long time habit of using US keyboard layout, so much so that the US layout was my default too.

I found a fresh portable XMBC v2.9.2 on my computer and discovered, I also still have the previous "install" of portable XMBC v2.9.2, with its configuration file intact.

Here's my findings:
Fresh 2.9.2 with ½ key: will not work
Previous 2.9.2 with the old configuration: works - it uses the US equivalent hotkey.

If I once again add US keyboard layout:
Latest XMBC will work, but only when I switch to US keyboard layout. I actually don't like that as I don't want to use multiple layouts anymore.
Old 2.9.2 works regardless of the layout being used - in fact I don't need to add the US layout at all. I like that a lot.

I'll see about this VKC thing which is something I never messed with before - but beside that it looks like I'll have to use the older version - which I think is fine for me and for now, tbh.

I'm actually quiet happy I can use XMBC again even though I won't be able to use all 9 buttons on my mouse. I'm currently using Logitech Gaming Software and what a frustrating mess it is.

Edit: I can't get the VKC thing to work at all.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Hi,

I'm a bit confused, you say a fresh install of 2.9.2 does not work, but the old install of 2.9.2 does work? Then there must be a different setting.
What have you got the setting "Load US English keyboard layout" set to in advanced settings (on both versions)? Thats the only think I can see that might have an impact?

Thanks,
Phil

PS. Sorry for the delay, I was ill last weekend.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
r4ptor
New User

Post by r4ptor »

My apologies for not getting back to this thread. Perhaps I thought I replied. Now I don't know.

I don't know why it worked. Maybe because how keys are looked at. Maybe because I used to have 2 keyboards layouts and used to swap between them all the time. Maybe something else.

/ - which it works with, is located on the right side of the keyboard, using english keyboard layout.

With danish, / is only to be found on the num pad. But it won't work with this key.

With danish, ACDSee want's me to press ½ key, which is located all the way on the upper left - but it won't work if I use this key in X-Mouse.