X-Mouse Button Control Information Please

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
howardb1
New User

X-Mouse Button Control Information Please

Post by howardb1 »

I just installed this to get control over my Logitech Expert Mouse after moving to MS Vista 64bit, but I noticed that it didn't come with much information about what the various menu options do, the ones that show when you right-click on the hot-bar icon, such as Save and Restore Desktop Icons, or a list of recognized key names, i.e., {PAUSE} and {Number Pad 5}. Would you please point me to a file or web-page description of these things. Also, is Save/Restore Desktop function compatible with Windows Vista Ultimiate SP2 64Bit? This looks to be something I've always wanted because MicroSoft's Terminal Server and NVidia driver updates both perversly like play 52-Pickup with my desktop icons!

Thank you,
HowardB1
phil
Site Admin

Re: X-Mouse Button Control Information Please

Post by phil »

Urrrm, there is no real documentation. You are correct abotu the save/restore desktop icons - it should work on all OS's and allows you to save the icon positions - esp. usefull when using remote desktop and the likes which often moves things around.

As for the keys, they are pretty self explanitory...

The dialog within simulated keystrokes lists all the recognised options. If it is not there, its not recognised.
The numpas options are available with {NUM0} through {NUM9}. I dont recall the {PAUSE} key being available but I will look into that.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
howardb1
New User

Post by howardb1 »

Thank you for replying. As to the documentation, I wasn't able to find it in the download or at the site. Perhaps you could provide me with the link.

Thank you.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Sorry, I thought I made it clear when I said
Urrrm, there is no real documentation.
Just in case, I mean there is NO documentation other than in the program or on this site. More to the point, you are the first to ask in over 5 years, which suggests to me that there is no real need for documentation either.

The program is pretty simple and as far as possible self documenting (hence all the instructions in simulated keystrokes - which is the most complex part). What are you looking to find out from documentation exactly?

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
howardb1
New User

Post by howardb1 »

I was looking for the names of special keys, such as {PAUSE} and other named keys that weren't discussed in the form. My other concern was about the compatiblity of the desktop icon saver.

Thanks.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Which I have already given you the answer to.

All supported keys are listed in the simulated keystrokes dialog.
NOTE This changes in the next version (for you). I have not only added {PAUSE} but also {EXT:<n>} where you can specify any virtual keycode if I forget any in the future. I guess that may deserve documentation but it will be in the the form of the changlog or FAQ.

I hope I answered your question regarding the icons.

Thanks again,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
howardb1
New User

Post by howardb1 »

Yes, very nicely.

One thing I did find after using XMBC for a while was that the upper left button (aka, middle button) on my Kensington Expert Mouse stangely would't 'fire'(*) its macro in EverQuest II, even though it worked in Notepad and other programs. Being able to attach keystroke macros to the upper two buttons was my primary goal, as the manufacturer's software to do this doesn't work in Vista 64-bit. However, I was able to make the button work in EQII using AutoHotKey, so I'm using that for now.

AHK doesn't have the nice interface that your program has, nor does it automatically switch macro profiles based on the active window, and the scrips, while they can be very powerful, are much harder to create that what your software provides "out-of-the-box", but AHK seems to work more reliable for the one button I really need in the program I want to use it in.

* This is why I asked about {PAUSE}. I thought that changing the emmitted key stroke might fix the problem, but even using other simulated keys hooked to the upper left button didn't do anything.

Thank you.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I have already fixes several issues in simulated keystrokes in the upcoming version - it might fix your problem. If you want to try the beta let me know - but I want to release it soon anyway, pending a few more tests.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--