X-Mouse BC causes Komodo IDE and Komodo EDIT to crash.

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
avalonnz
New User

X-Mouse BC causes Komodo IDE and Komodo EDIT to crash.

Post by avalonnz »

Hi,

Just thought you should know. I've spent two weeks trying to figure out why my programmers editor, ActiveState Komodo IDE was crashing whenever I opened a file larger than 2k. After much frustration I discovered that the culprit was X-Mouse Button Control (as did another Komodo user). The problem affects Komodo IDE 8+ and Komodo Edit 8+. Earlier versions of Komodo Edit are not affected. I didn't have earlier versions of Komodo IDE to test.

We reinstaled the Komodo products numerous times and tinkered with all kinds of settings, but the problem was only solved (in the case of both tickets) when X-Mouse Button Control was uninstalled.

Here's the full story:
https://github.com/Komodo/KomodoEdit/is ... -350755277

I'm not suggesting that this is an error on your part. Software is complex, particularly when it's trying to use hooks provided by Windows (which is constantly changing in unpredictable ways). I just wanted to post this in case anyone else was having problems with Komodo, and to give you a heads-up in the unlikely case that it's fixable at your end.

Cheers.
avalonnz
New User

Re: X-Mouse BC causes Komodo IDE and Komodo EDIT to crash.

Post by avalonnz »

Oh. FYI (in case it's important) I use a fairly recent Kensington Expert Mouse (four button trackball with scroll-ring).
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Well that's an interesting one....
Did you have any special setup in XMBC (were you using global hotkeys/layer modifier keys)?

I'll have a look (I use visual studio myself but I can install the Komodo trial and give it a try if its not going to cost me anything significant :)).
At this stage I'm not sure I will be able to do much - because XMBC does not hook into other applications, just the global mouse/keyboard hook - but I suppose it could be doing something in there that causes a compatibility issue - finding it though (as you say) may not be so straight forward!

Thanks for the heads up!
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
delirium6
New User

Post by delirium6 »

Hi,

Just a answear for tell you i have the same problem : https://github.com/Komodo/KomodoEdit/issues/3492
I use XMBC 2.17 with an evoluent mouse. And i just configure all my buttons with XBMC.

Regards.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Thanks for the reminder...
I have found the problem - the crash occurs when the code window receives a WM_GETTEXTLENGH message which is used to get the length of the text. This is called in XMBC by the window caption matcher to get the window caption (for any window/control under the cursor).

I have put an exception for this window class into XMBC so it does not bother asking for the text length or caption. This will fix the crash.
The window control in question is the (open source) Scintilla code editor control. The same is used by Notepad++ but Notepad++ does NOT crash when WM_GETTEXTLENGTH is called - so I guess its something specific to Komodo Edit.

In any case, any scintilla control will no longer be asked for the text.

The fix will be in 2.18 Beta 6 (not sure when I will release that as I have only just released 2.18 beta 5 a few hours ago).

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
delirium6
New User

Post by delirium6 »

Thanks for your work, i'm developper too and sometimes it takes many times for solve a crash.
I'm waiting for your 2.18 Beta 6 and i will give you my result.

Many thanks..
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

delirium6 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:01 pm i'm developper too
I kind'a guessed that as your using a source code editor app :)

It shouldn't be possible to crash another application by sending it a standard windows message which is what happens in this case.
So really the problem is in Komodo Edit and whatever it does when it receives this message, but my workaround will stop XMBC from crashing it at least!

I may as well make beta 6 now and publish it - then you can let me know if it works... 2 beta's in half a day - I'm on a roll! (or maybe I should have not missed this report and fixed it earlier lol).
--[ Phil ]--
delirium6
New User

Post by delirium6 »

I thinked like you, XBMC doesn't crash so the problem is in Komodo Edit.
I use Notepadd++ too and no crash.
Let me 1 week for tell you the result, because some days no crash, after a week i could tell you a good answear.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

2.18 Beta 6 is now available here

Let me know if it solves the crash for you too.
It crashed pretty much every time here if the file open in KEdit was > 2kb (as reported originally).... So im fairly confident in my fix (even if it was very quick!). But it will depend on how your profiles are setup and a few other things - so feel free to take your time - I wont be released 2.18 in the next week or so anyway (still plenty to add to it :().

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
delirium6
New User

Post by delirium6 »

Hi Phil,

For me it's ok now after 1 week and 2 days of developpement on Komodo and X-mouse.

Thanks for your work.

Regards.