Having trouble with "Lines to scroll" setting

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
xerkon
New User

Having trouble with "Lines to scroll" setting

Post by xerkon »

Hi. LOVE X-Mouse, by the way! Thank you!

For whatever reason I can't get the "lines to scroll" setting to work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'm using only the default x-mouse profile with W7 and a Logitech G9x with drivers installed. I can change the lines to scroll setting in the windows control panel and the change is instantly recognized and everything works as it should. But then if I go and change the setting in X-mouse nothing happens. Shouldn't it be overriding the Win control panel setting? I've tried both restarting and reinstalling X-mouse as well as rebooting the computer (and of course checking the "force scroll lines" box). Any ideas?
xerkon
New User

Re: Having trouble with "Lines to scroll" setting

Post by xerkon »

After a little more testing it almost seems like it just takes a little while to update. For example, I had lines to scroll in default profile set to 36. I opened LibreOffice Calc and, sure enough, it scrolled 36 lines. I went into X-mouse, changed default to 26 and applied but calc still scrolled 36 lines. I closed Calc and re-opened it a couple times, still 36. I opened notepad++ and it scrolled 26 lines so I went back over to Calc and at that point it started scrolling 26 lines instead of 36.

So is there some sort of delay between changing a value and seeing it realized in a program?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

HI, there shouldn't be any noticeable delay - there is a tiny one (but were talking milliseconds).
XMBC does modify the control panel option, but it does it when the mouse moves over each window because different profiles can have different settings. There is a delay between the mouse moving over the window and the setting changed message being broadcast to the system (because thats slow and I don't want to send it too often) but it should still happen pretty quickly.

Have you got "change profile on mouse over" enabled or disabled in the advanced settings tab? That might make a difference.

I'll see if I can reproduce the problem here (its not something I use myself so these things can get broken without me noticing) and if I can, I will try and fix it before I release 2.17.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK I think I see the problem. The code has been optimised to only change this setting when the profile changes....
If you only have a default profile, it will never change, so I need to apply the setting differently!!!

Further to that, there is another problem... Many windows dont take the setting (even when done through control panel) until they are reopened (application restarted). I'm sure this didn't used to be the case, but it does make the dynamic setting rather pointless (although it still works for other windows that pick up the change as soon as Windows broadcasts the "something changed" message. Either way this is more complex than it first seemed so I'm going to continue to think about it... In the case of just one profile, it shouldnt be too difficult to just set the value when you apply the settings but in the case of multi-profile, its difficult to explain why sometimes it works and sometimes it does not (through no fault of XMBC, but thats what will get blamed!).
--[ Phil ]--
xerkon
New User

Post by xerkon »

Thanks for your response! Yes, I too noticed that as soon as I made a few profiles things started working! I also saw that I had to close and then open programs for the change to take effect. I used Calc, Notepad++ and SciTE4AutoHotKey to test since they all have line numbers - easy to see how far you've scrolled. I never could get notepad++ to recognize its profile's lines-to-scroll while SciTE recognized and changed every time, right away, too. So, in the case of an application that seems impervious to a custom scroll setting, do I go into advanced scrolling and change that? I tried it and Methods 1, 3 and seemed to work while 2 was completely dead and 4 gave some real weird results until I closed and re-opened notepad++.

I've noticed something else I should ask you about. When "ignore repeated remapped horizontal scroll" is at 100ms OR Below things seem to go as expected (there is the 1/10 sec pause and then auto repeat kicks in) but at 101 or Higher auto-repeat shuts off. There is still the pause but no repeat. Is that intentional?

AND.....(sorry, I keep finding things! I'm sure you appreciate it though), I wanted to test chording so I set LMB to chord and gave the other 8 buttons simulated keys, and tested it in notepad++. I found that once LMB was down I could press and continue to press all other buttons in any order with great results, but after pressing button 4, button 5 no longer would chord and vice versa, (pressing 5 first disabled 4). It popped into my head that it might have something to do with swapping the fourth and fifth buttons (which I had). I unchecked that box and tested again and it's good, but re-checking it brought back the "button-canceling" effect. I'm sure you'll know what's going on with that. Thanks, Phil!!!
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

xerkon wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:54 am Thanks for your response! Yes, I too noticed that as soon as I made a few profiles things started working! I also saw that I had to close and then open programs for the change to take effect. I used Calc, Notepad++ and SciTE4AutoHotKey to test since they all have line numbers - easy to see how far you've scrolled. I never could get notepad++ to recognize its profile's lines-to-scroll while SciTE recognized and changed every time, right away, too. So, in the case of an application that seems impervious to a custom scroll setting, do I go into advanced scrolling and change that? I tried it and Methods 1, 3 and seemed to work while 2 was completely dead and 4 gave some real weird results until I closed and re-opened notepad++.
Yes it seems some apps read the setting at startup and dont listen fro the windows message that i broadcast when settings change. I cant do anything about that. I have fixed the issue where it does not work with only one profile (in 2.17 beta 14).
And yes, the scroll methods will work instead, but you need to find a method that works for the application you are using, some will, some wont - hence the different options. Again, it depends how the application itself responds to different messages.
xerkon wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:54 am I've noticed something else I should ask you about. When "ignore repeated remapped horizontal scroll" is at 100ms OR Below things seem to go as expected (there is the 1/10 sec pause and then auto repeat kicks in) but at 101 or Higher auto-repeat shuts off. There is still the pause but no repeat. Is that intentional?

AND.....(sorry, I keep finding things! I'm sure you appreciate it though), I wanted to test chording so I set LMB to chord and gave the other 8 buttons simulated keys, and tested it in notepad++. I found that once LMB was down I could press and continue to press all other buttons in any order with great results, but after pressing button 4, button 5 no longer would chord and vice versa, (pressing 5 first disabled 4). It popped into my head that it might have something to do with swapping the fourth and fifth buttons (which I had). I unchecked that box and tested again and it's good, but re-checking it brought back the "button-canceling" effect. I'm sure you'll know what's going on with that. Thanks, Phil!!!
I'll try and take a look at that - why that setting makes a difference, I dont know, but it may be doing something to the chord when it swaps the buttons (intentional or not I'm not sure yet).

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Ive had a look at this and indeed, there is a problem caused by the swap 4th and 5th.... It can cause the buttons to be left in an undetermined state, potentially "breaking" the button and/or other buttons.

Should be fixed in 2.18 Beta 5.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--