Strange scroll wheel bug

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
flang
New User

Strange scroll wheel bug

Post by flang »

Thanks for making this software. I think it will be quite useful to me.

I've run into odd behavior with the mouse wheel in the first game I tested X-Mouse on - Umbrella Corps http://store.steampowered.com/app/390340/. This game uses the Unity Engine, although I do not know which version.

By default in this game, the scroll wheel is mapped to zooming in and out with the equipped firearm - scrolling up zooms in and down zooms out - and the wheel cannot be remapped in the game's control options.

So I made a profile for it with X-Mouse and remapped scroll wheel up to keyboard key 1 (assigned to equip primary weapon), and scroll wheel down to keyboard key 2 (assigned to equip sidearm). "Block Original Mouse Input" is checked for both scroll up and down, and the input method is "As mouse button is pressed."

This works as expected, except in one instance: If the primary weapon is already equipped and I scroll the mouse wheel up, the zoom in function is activated. So "Block Original Mouse Input" appears to be ignored.

There are no other mouse wheel-related problems. If I have the primary weapon equipped and the view is already zoomed in, and then I scroll the wheel down once, the sidearm will equip, just as I would expect it to. Repeatedly scrolling down does not result in any unusual behavior, only scrolling up has a problem.

I have tried toggling the following options in the X-Mouse profile to fix this, none of which had any effect:
- Disable Scroll Window Under Cursor
- Clip (lock) mouse cursor to active window
- Ignore repeated remapped vertical scroll, for 200 ms
- Wheel scrolls in pages instead of lines
- Force Scroll Pages/Lines
- Scroll Method: None (disable scroll)

In Windows' mouse settings, I have Vertical Scrolling set to 3 Lines at a time.

Let me know if there's something else I should try.

I am using X-Mouse Portable 2.16.1 x64

My computer specs:
Windows 7 Pro x64
Logitech G700s mouse, firmware version 45.7 (up to date).
Acer 120 Hz 1920x1080 monitor (Umbrella Corps is being frame-limited to 60 FPS)
core i7 6700K
GTX 980 Ti
16 GB RAM
phil
Site Admin

Re: Strange scroll wheel bug

Post by phil »

I'm afraid that the game is probably using direct input/raw input (this is not uncommon for games) to handle the scroll - which means it can not be blocked. The direct Input API's receive the raw data from the device and this raw data can not be blocked.changed at anything other than mouse driver level (way lower than XMBC operates).

XMBC uses windows hooks/messages which can be blocked but not before the direct input has already happened.

The result of this is that both the original action (scroll) and the remapped key will be enacted upon, hence if the primary weapon is selected, it zooms in. The zoom out does not happen as you switch weapons and presumably that is already zoomed out and cant zoom out further!

So probably, there is little that can be done in this instance I'm afraid.

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
flang
New User

Re: Strange scroll wheel bug

Post by flang »

Thanks for the info. I don't think this will be a common problem, since there aren't many games where the mouse wheel is hard bound to a function that I would want to remap. So no big deal on my end.