Please Help - Can't understand how programme works

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
BAMBROSE
New User

Please Help - Can't understand how programme works

Post by BAMBROSE »

Hi,

I'm trying to replicate the functionality I've got with Karibenr (mac)

I have a Kensington Orbit track wheel.
I want to 'chord' the left and right mouse button so that when clicked at the same time this is equivalent to a 'middle click'

I then want to assign middle click to 'scroll' so that when I click on the middle mouse button and move the cursor I am then scrolling (equivalent of)

I can't understand how to set up button chording.
I would expect I assign left click and right click to 'button chord - middle click')
But that doesn't seem to work. can anyone help ?

Thanks,
injtsvetkov
Fanatic

Re: Please Help - Can't understand how programme works

Post by injtsvetkov »

Hi there,

Basically you have two choices for the chording:
1 - First press&hold LMB and then press RMB
2 - First press&hold RMB and then press LMB

So let's say you would use the second one. You set "Button chording" to the RMB and then in the chording window you set "Middle click" to the LMB. That's how chording works, first you press&hold one button and then press the other, if you try to press them simultaneously you might press the second one first and then it wouldn't work because that's a different chord.

NOTE: Using LMB and/or RMB for chording might be a bit tricky because that interferes with the normal action of the buttons. You might need to use the "Block / Delay original button action until chord is established" options at the bottom of the chording window.

To scroll with the Middle button you need to assign "Change movement to scroll" to it. Then there are several options in the "Movement to scroll" window so you have to set it up yourself.

Good luck :)
HAMA Mirano
Windows 8.1 x64, Intel i5-3230M @ 2.60GHz, 4GB
BAMBROSE
New User

Post by BAMBROSE »

Ah ha !!

I see. Thank you for explaining so clearly.
I'll have a go now
BAMBROSE
New User

Post by BAMBROSE »

can't seem to get it to work
Left button - dialogue reads **No Change (Don;t intercept)**
Right Button - dialogue reads Button Chording : **No Change (Don;t Intercept)** < when click on this to reveal the 'button chording' menu. in this dialogue, the top dialoge for Left Button reads 'Middle Click'

I've set middle click to 'brightness down' (as it's then easier to see if it is working.
- it doesn't.

When I set 'brihtness down to Right Mouse button - it works so I know that is a good test.

Anything else I can try ? I've tried every combination of Block/Delay original button action' in Button chirding dialogue
injtsvetkov
Fanatic

Post by injtsvetkov »

Untitled.jpg
This is how it should look like. That way when you hold down RMB and then press LMB XMBC should send “Middle click” to the application/window under the cursor.
If that doesn’t work then most probably there is some issue and you should report your windows version and XMBC version and even better export that particular profile and upload it here so Phil could take a look at this.
In the mean time you might try the new beta version of XMBC here and see if there is any difference :)

Typically the "Block / Delay ..." option does not interfere with the "chorded" action (in your case "Middle click"), it's for the original action of the initial chord button (in your case RMB), so if it is enabled it will block the "Right click" when you execute the chord and you will get only "Middle click", but if you disable it, when you execute the chord you will get "Middle click" and "Right click" simultaneously.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HAMA Mirano
BAMBROSE
New User

Post by BAMBROSE »

I'm afraid I didn't have any luck. My screen shots are the same (see attached)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/obpfaykt9qj72 ... t.JPG?dl=0

Windows 10 professional.
64 bit
Running latest Beta 2.17 Beta (12)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

The way you have set that up should work as follows:

Middle button on its own should become Brightness Down (brightness commands only work with some monitors/computers so perhaps not the most reliable test!).

Right button held and then left button pressed -> middle click (not brightness down, default middle click action which in most apps would be autoscroll)

If you want the chord to turn the brightness down, then set the left button to brightness down (in the right button chord setup)

What are you seeing it do?
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
BAMBROSE
New User

Post by BAMBROSE »

The brightness down does work when assigned to RMB, so I thought a reliable test.
I am using a two button track ball (Kensingon Orbit) so was hoping to have LMB+RMB chord = Middle Button, and then assigning scrolling to MMB, so that I could hold down the LMB+RMB and use the track ball to scroll ?
injtsvetkov
Fanatic

Post by injtsvetkov »

Oh :lol:

Now I think I understand what exactly you are trying to achieve. You need to set "Change movement to scroll" to the RMB->LMB chord :)

As a matter of fact, assigning "Middle click" to the RMB->LMB chord and then moving the cursor should result in scrolling but maybe there is something wrong.
Try assigning "Simulated keystrokes" to the RMB->LMB chord and in the SimKeys text field enter "{MMB}" (without the quotes) and select option "3 During" or "9 As mouse button is pressed & when released" in the dropdown right below the text field. This should also result in scrolling when you move the cursor. If it doesn't then most probably there is a problem.

NOTE: If I've understood right, you don't have physical "middle click" on your track ball. If so, then there is absolutely no point in assigning anything to the "Middle Button" in XMBC. It's quite hard for me to explain it English so here is an example of how XMBC works:
Untitled.jpg
If you do that, pressing RMB will send "middle click" to the window under the cursor and not "brightness down". In order to send "brightness down" you'd have to physically press the middle button on your input device.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HAMA Mirano