Blocking several clicks instead of only one?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
injtsvetkov
Fanatic

Blocking several clicks instead of only one?

Post by injtsvetkov »

Hi Phil,

Two of my mice have hardware problem and often send several clicks (2-3) on a single button press. I was wondering if it would be possible to somehow block the unneeded clicks in a very short interval after the first one but still be able to double-click. Or maybe block all the clicks including the first one and send only one click instead. Maybe some option in Sim Keys to intercept not only one but all clicks in a given interval. Probably would be something like the "Ignore repeated remapped scroll". What do you think?

Thanks
Iliya
HAMA Mirano
Windows 8.1 x64, Intel i5-3230M @ 2.60GHz, 4GB
phil
Site Admin

Re: Blocking several clicks instead of only one?

Post by phil »

My Logitech mouse is suffering a similar problem (so much so I have ordered some new microswitch and I'm going to fix it myself).
I tried the debounce but its really not very useful, mainly because sometimes the button releases mid-drag.

I cam to the conclusion yesterday that its not possible to properly fix this in software -and I dont think blocking clicks within a period will fix it, not lease because this wont deal with the problem of a click being released when it shouldn't be. The debounce should already block within the time period (and number of clicks) and it simply isn't reliable for a button that is past its best - I dont think this idea will help much - and could make matters worse.

:(

Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
injtsvetkov
Fanatic

Post by injtsvetkov »

Thanks Phil, that's all I needed to know!

In fact, one of my mice is also Logitech. The other one is a very old mouse at work that has some kind of a software problem I think. Sometimes it works flawlessly but very often it's wheel goes mad - sending 2-3 MMB clicks at a time and when I scroll in one direction it sends scrolls in both directions like that:
Up-Down-Up-Down-Up-Down-Up-Up-Down-Up-Down-Down-Up-Down...
I've noticed that the situation sometimes changes after reboot but randomly - might work, might not, so it's not worth trying...
HAMA Mirano
Windows 8.1 x64, Intel i5-3230M @ 2.60GHz, 4GB
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Its very unlikely to be a software problem with that mouse wheel/button - much more likely to be caused by hardware issues (like dirty/worn contacts).
There isn't a lot of "software" on a normal mouse!

Its quite common - back in the early 90s I remember (frequently) disassembling C64/Amiga joysticks and mice because the micro switches had seized/stuck or just gotten dirty... Normally disassembling, cleaning (with some mentholated spirits and or sand paper) and reassembling was all it required to fix it :).

I was going to try that with my Logitech G9 but I thought I would order some new switches before i took it to bits just in case I'm less good at that job now :P (I probably wont be able to see the things without the help of a magnifying glass these days :lol:)

Phil
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

2 new micro switches (from ebay) later, a little effort with the soldering iron and m mouse button and my Logitech G9 buttons are restored to their former glory :) The MMB is a different switch though on this device and would be much less repairable :(
--[ Phil ]--