[Req] 'Up' function

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Yakuzing
New User

[Req] 'Up' function

Post by Yakuzing »

First of all, your little program seems very nice and I would like to use it, but I would only for this;
To have a button that will do 'Up' in explorer and still 'Back' in Firefox/browsers.

I'm using 32bit XP but I also came to think about how that button is removed from Vista so there it would be neat to have it when I upgrade(probably not until Win7 or when I get a new computer but :P).

I do have the same mouse as you, the MX518 (it's a lovely mouse, isn't it :P), and the Button 4(SetPoint, think it's 3 in Windows, Left X in XMBC(which, by the way does not fit for that mouse?) is set on Generic Button since I also use it as Push-to-speak in Teamspeak2. I don't mind that the others in TS hear a little moaning when I use it for 'Back' though.

Is it even possible to get the 'Up' function?
And would I still be able to have 'Back' in FF/Safari/Chrome?

Since explorer.exe is always running won't it mess up, or does your program see which program is in focus?
I did just test by setting the button to Mute for explorer.exe and Back for firefox.exe and it worked!
So I guess it's all up to if the 'Up' function is possible, and if you would have the time to add it.

Thank you in advance.
phil
Site Admin

Re: [Req] 'Up' function

Post by phil »

Firstly, XMBC checks the focus application to work out if it needs to apply its application specific settings so it should be fine to setup a specific button for Explorer.exe only.

If I recall correctly, in XP's explorer, "up" can be archived by pressing the backspace key on the keyboard, so to make an Up button for explorer, simple choose the "Simulated Keystrokes" action and use {BACKSPACE}.

NOTE: In case others are interested, In Vista (and I guess Win7) to achieve this effect, you need to press ALT & the UP arrow, so that would be {ALT}{UP} in the simulated keystrokes - so its just as easy to setup in XMBC.

The MX518 is a great mouse. I now have a new Logitech G9 which I got so I could test the tilt functions. I don't think its as nice as the MX518 - the buttons are far too easy to press accidentally, especially the sensitivity ones. And yes, I know the left-X/right-X text does not really apply but as XMBC can not detect what mouse is plugged in, I cant go around changing the text dynamically so its based on the original MS intelli-Explorer mice.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Yakuzing
New User

Re: [Req] 'Up' function

Post by Yakuzing »

Oh yes!
I didn't think of that. Thank you.
Now I can truly live with minimalism :shock:

And XMBC works perfectly! Great application. I'll put it on my applications page once I make ;)