'Override mouse speed' setting ignored often. Always after reboot.

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Adrianrff
Dedicated

'Override mouse speed' setting ignored often. Always after reboot.

Post by Adrianrff »

Every time I reboot the PC, and sometimes randomly while the PC is on, my mouse speed is suddenly reset to max. I'm not sure if this is an XMBC problem exclusively though, it happens when I have the 'override mouse speed' checked, but it'll also happen with it unchecked, i.e. Windows itself will forget the previous setting and reset the mouse speed to max on every reboot. But XMBC is definitely not able to successfully override the setting and have it stick through reboots.

Could this have anything to do with the mouse drivers? Windows installs 'HID-Compliant driver' by default and I've never changed that.

Thanks.
phil
Site Admin

Re: 'Override mouse speed' setting ignored often. Always after reboot.

Post by phil »

Its unlikely to be the mouse drivers.
It could be an XMBC bug - what version are you using?

I would suggest enabling debug but unfortunately when you restart XMBC debug will b disabled.
It does sound a bit like an XMBC bug, you could try uninstalling XMBC and then seeing if the standard windows mouse speed setting sticks.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
feelofeel
New User

Post by feelofeel »

I'm having the same bug: after reboot or even after exiting sleep mode my cursor becomes very slow when I boot into my Windows 10, I'm forced to go to xMB options and set 'cursor acceleration' to a certain value (any, really, but I keep current acceleration on 5) and 'Apply' the changes. After that my cursor speed becomes OK.
XMBC version is 2.16.1

I'll try reinstalling later and will update after.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

There was a bug in 2.15 (that I thought I had fixed in 2.16) where it didn't save the cursor speed until you had set it at least once (applied to a fresh install if there was no settings file), but once set in XMBC, it would then behave OK from that point forwards...

That sounds remarkably like what you (feelofeel) describe, so maybe the fix in 2.16 simply didn't work (strange cos it was tested be several people)...
But I think its different from what Adrianrff has described (I could be wrong though)
--[ Phil ]--
Adrianrff
Dedicated

Post by Adrianrff »

Sorry for taking this long to reply, Phil. I didn't have the "notify me of new replies" option checked.

I'm using version 2.16. I'll try your suggestion Tomorrow(it happens in the PC at work only and I'm free today, home PC is fine) and let you know. In my case, the mouse speed is reset to max on reboot, but I as I said, it also happens when the 'override mouse speed' is disabled in XMBC, so there's a possibility that is actually Windows who's overriding the setting at reboot. Also, for me it's enough to change the mouse speed to any value and apply to have it working as expected again (I'm not sure if by "cursor acceleration" feelofeel means this as well).
Adrianrff
Dedicated

Post by Adrianrff »

Phil, this is now happening in my home PC as well, which has always been fine. It's actually worse than in my PC at work.

I always have the 'Override mouse speed' option checked in XMBC and it has always worked just fine. Now, all of the sudden, the mouse speed is set to max (Windows ignores the XMBC setting) at boot. Sometimes opening a Window that has a profile in XMBC sets the mouse speed to where it should, but sometimes it doesn't and I have to go in XMBC, set any mouse speed and apply. Once the mouse speed is controlled by XMBC it'll stay there until next reboot.

I have tried disabling the setting in every profile inside XMBC and simply rely on Windows, but this is absolute disaster. Every 2 minutes the mouse speed will set itself to max.

What do you suggest, Phil?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

If you quit XMBC, does the mouse speed remain stable and normal?
I just want to make sure it is XMBC thats causing the problem because its not something that happens for all/many, there may be something else at play.

Also, if you turn on debug logging and then let it happen again, then send me the debug (with approx time it went fast/slow) it may give me more info to follow up on.

I hope I will get some XMBC time this w/end - Ive been a bit busy recently!
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Just had a look at this, your not using the modifier key to slow down the mouse cursor are you? Are you using *ANY* modifier keys?

I have put in additional debug logging (including logging the mouse cursor speed at startup and shutdown) in the next beta, so hopefully it will help me track down any issues. The current version does not have any logging re the cursor speed (doh!) which means any debug log will be a bit pointless.

Can you send me a copy of your profile (by PM) - it may help to have a copy of your settings.

EDIT: Please try 2.17 beta 3. It wont fix the problem but I have included logging whenever the mouse speed is changed by XMBC (you will need to turn on debug logging to enable it) and also at XMBC startup and shutdown it will log the speeds. It should help us figure out what is going wrong and where (if its in XMBC).

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
Adrianrff
Dedicated

Post by Adrianrff »

Are you using *ANY* modifier keys?
Yes, I'm using ctrl to activate layer 2. Should I disable it and try?

I've sent you the profile via PM and installed the 2.17 Beta 3. Logging enabled as well.

I'll send you the file later today.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Don't forget, debug logging turns itself off again when you restart XMBC (because debug logging reduces performance somewhat).
While I wait for the log, I'm going to see if your profile has the same effect here or not.

You could try turning off layer modifier keys temporarily, but I dont *think* that will be the problem as I use them and dont suffer this.
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK two questions:
1. All of your profiles have the same mouse speed override - so why are you using override if they are all set the same?
2. Are you aware that the default mouse speed (in settings -> general) is set to maximum? So if XMBC does not detect a profile, it will revert to maximum? (Of course it *should* always detect the default profile, but for example, at startup, there will be times, until the mouse moves between profile windows, that it may not yet have applied that default override speed. I will look at that, but it looks to me like you are not making use of the override speed (as intended, to change the cursor speed in different windows) and perhaps should just use the general mouse speed setting - unless you did that just to test of course?!

EDIT: Thinking about it, the override speed should not be available on the default profile, as it should always use the general setting mouse speed for default, and only allow you to override that for window/app specific profiles. I may make that change too.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK, because you have the default speed set to maximum in the general settings tab (not override speed on the profile), I think I can see why this is occurring. In the layer modifier key handler, it gets the mouse speed from the current profile if override is ticked. If its not, then it gets it from the general settings tab (maximum), not the default profile!

If the slowdown layer key is not pressed, it sets the speed to that - so therefore it could set it to maximum (rather than the default profile's speed).
That should only happen if your active profile does not have override ticked but there is potential for it to go wrong.
I'm changing the code in the next beta to go active profile -> default profile -> general settings when ever it looks for the mouse speed to set. It should help. Of course, my point above (why use override mouse speed if your setting them all the same?) still applies!

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
Adrianrff
Dedicated

Post by Adrianrff »

I must admit I never saw the mouse speed selector in general settings. Of course I didn't know it was set to max either.

Sorry, Phil, you must be right. That's got to be it.

The reason I use override in all profiles is because I used to have it turned off everywhere and set the mouse speed in Windows (I didn't know about the general setting in XMBC until now), but that would mess up quickly.

I now see that what you've written explains it all beautifully: with the override setting ticked in all profiles It would happen at boot and it will go back to normal if I opened e.g Firefox (a Window with a profile). Without the option ticked, it would revert to maximum everytime I pressed ctrl because that's what it was set to in XMBC general setting, which, again, I didn't existed until now, and go back on profile change.

I forgot to re-enable logging on boot. Do you still need the file?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I don't think I need the log file now seeing as I think we understand what was happening.

In 2.17 beta 4 it should be OK doing it either way, it will use the default profile if that has override set, rather than the general setting, which will only be used if the default profile is not set to override :). That should prevent further problems if anyone else misses the general setting :).
--[ Phil ]--
Adrianrff
Dedicated

Post by Adrianrff »

Thank you, Phil. And sorry for the buzz on such a silly problem. At least an improvement of the app came out of the fact that I missed the general setting. Slightly more robust now :)