Mouse but 5 sometimes need to be clicked twice

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
warmwhisky
New User

Mouse but 5 sometimes need to be clicked twice

Post by warmwhisky »

Hey,

I have a strange issue that has been going on for the last few version. I have my two side mouse buttons set up as copy and paste. the problem is though, sometimes I have to press copy twice. This can be quite tiresome going back and forth to pages when the first time it didnt copy.

Are there any know issues? This happens on both my home and work pc.

I am running Windows 7

Thanks
Ben
phil
Site Admin

Re: Mouse but 5 sometimes need to be clicked twice

Post by phil »

There are no known issues with XMBC in this area (and I pretty much use copy/paste all the time - it was my reason for starting XMBC :)).

Severall thoughts...

I occasionally have issues (I have clipmate installed which makes a notice when copying to the clipboard so I normally know its not worked before I try pasting). I don't think this is XMBC related unfortunately, as sometimes I have the same problem when using CTRL+C also.

Copy and paste actually just send a CTRL+C and CTRL+V so if you have any other keys pressed they may interfere. Also if the software that receives the copy request is busy it may not respond reliably (I find this often in certain programs that dont work well, sometimes I need to close and reopen the program and all is fine (Eclipse IDE).

There is also a possibility that the actual mouse button is misbehaving... Sometimes older mice develop button faults and bouncing (dirty switch contacts). In that case, the mouse may not actually be sending the click.

Unfortunately, in all cases that I am aware of its not an XMBC problem. But of course your experience may be different. The only way to see if XMBC is receiving the click and sending the copy command, is to turn on debug logging and try to capture the problem and then look to see if XMBC received a click at the time that your copy was missed - it will be difficult/impossible without knowing the time the problem, esp. if it is an intermittent fault because debug log produced a lot of information and I suspect narrowing it down to a click that didn't work (esp. if XMBC didn't receive said click so its not in the log, or it received the click, send the command but the command failed) so debugging this could be very difficult!

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
warmwhisky
New User

Re: Mouse but 5 sometimes need to be clicked twice

Post by warmwhisky »

Thanks for the reply.

Wow I am late to reply. The only reason I use this software is to use copy and paste

I have this issue on every machine I work with. I have never had this issue with using the keyboard to copy, but always with x-mouse.

I have now got into the habit of clicking mouse button 5 twice to make sure it copies. I have to say it must be this software or its basically a limitation of windows and using extra mouse buttons.

There is no other software that I have found that can do this so I guess there is nothing that can be done.