XMBC 2.16 Beta

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
BriHecato
Dedicated

Re: XMBC 2.16 Beta

Post by BriHecato »

Sorry to separate my message into three responses but i got "invalid form error" returned form this forum or from my browser ...
injtsvetkov wrote:I have profile for "explorer.exe" which remaps the Middle click to Double click. I know that a few betas ago there was a change to separate the "Desktop" from "Explorer" so one would need two different profiles for them. Since I haven't changed this profile after that change, it was working for both till beta 14. In beta 15 (#475 - Attempt to fixed an issue with profiles after explorer (desktop) restarts.) it stopped working for the "Desktop" and works only for the "Explorer" . I reverted back to beta 14 and now it works for both again. I'd like to hear your comment Phil. I'm not suggesting to revert that change! I just need to know would it be possible somehow to make it work like before beta 15 (e.g. if ''explorer.exe" is entered in the "Application" field) and if the user wants it separated to chose the specific window in "Find window"? It just feels strange to make another profile for a simple double click
It don't feel strange at all to create such single-command-profile, it's not dummy, it's not pointless :) It's still the way the XMBC should be used. I remeber my begginings, and my co-worker - he only use XMBC to rebind [ctrl] key to his 5th button and [shift] to 4th button, and nothing more.
Currently I create basic settings in my "default" profile and then copy it to any other profile with additional desired actions. In one app i need to copy default profile because copy+paste wasn't working as it should and i didn't need to add any other actions to this "dummy" profile.
Of course Phil can think about add checkbox in settings like:

Code: Select all

"separate explorer windows from explorer desktop"
- checked by default.
Let the PC do the hard work = AHK + C# + HTML/CSS/JS + XMBC + Clavier+ + AutoLisp + VBA/OOB
BriHecato
Dedicated

Post by BriHecato »

JTB3 wrote:Request: Per profile (in each layer), provide a checkbox option to 'Activate' the window under the cursor when the 'Middle Button' is pressed - This option is ONLY needed for the middle button (see below).
Why only MMB? Why not LMB - maybe someone rebind it also?
IMHO it's bad practice to rebinding global profile for core button with such a strong command (close or delete). You are frustrate all by yourself only, and want Phil to solve your problem for you.

I understand and confirm your example but it's like during dinner: you eat meat and potates, and want to try soup,it doesn't work because you forget that you have still fork in your hands :P You're very experienced user and should already know what can be done and what should be avoided.

Anyway there's already option included in windows to activate window by hovering (always was). If not, you need to remember to click the desired window before closing it.

------------------------------

To settle this "arguing" Try also the second option - change MMB default close to simkey like this:

{ESCAPE}{LMB}{ALT}{F4}
It should escape all that you are doing in active window (also avoid clicking hightlited buttons but i'm not sure of this), then left clicking (activating) the window you are hovering on, then closing it.
So you will always close the app you are hovering over.

If you think it's not safe try maybe this:

{MSAVE}{ASET:100,10}{ESCAPE}{MREST}{LMB}{ALT}{F4}
Starting from window you want to close (unactive), saving mouse position, jumping to safe position in active window (somewhere on top bar), then escaping, then restoring mouse to unactive window (previous position), activate it by LMB, then closing it.

Even safier solution would be to eliminate clicking (cos you can click something you don't want during activation) but alt-tab can put you in wrong window...

-------------------------

Phil - it is possibble to save and restore 2 different mouse positions?
Like:
MSAVE1 - do something - MSAVE2 - do something - MREST1 - do something - MREST2 - do last thing.
Let the PC do the hard work = AHK + C# + HTML/CSS/JS + XMBC + Clavier+ + AutoLisp + VBA/OOB
phil
Site Admin

Re: XMBC 2.16 Beta (Feature Request) Middle Button-Activate Window Under Cursor

Post by phil »

JTB3 wrote:Hi Phil,
I appreciate, once again, all of your great work on the recent 2.16 Betas. An issue has been bugging me for years, so I finally thought of a possible solution which is hopefully a (relatively) straightforward and useful feature to add to XMBC (perhaps in the next beta series). I wouldn't be at all surprised if this has been previously mentioned. Let me explain.

Request: Per profile (in each layer), provide a checkbox option to 'Activate' the window under the cursor when the 'Middle Button' is pressed - This option is ONLY needed for the middle button (see below).

Rational/Use Case: With the exception of the 'Middle Button', ALL of the other (non-wheel) mouse button presses automatically activate the window under the cursor (if it is not already active). Go ahead try them all... This presents an issue for XMBC users (like myself) who have profile customizations for the 'Middle Button' in that it often produces unexpected (and undesired) behaviors when clicking the 'middle button' while hovering over a non-active window.
I was wondering why you cant just setup simulated keys to send an {LMB} first in order to activate the window - is that not an option?
Interestingly, here on Windows 10 1067 (the same as yours?), the middle button already does activate the window under the cursor already (even without XMBC running).

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

BriHecato wrote:Phil - it is possibble to save and restore 2 different mouse positions?
Like:
MSAVE1 - do something - MSAVE2 - do something - MREST1 - do something - MREST2 - do last thing.
I dont see why I couldn't add that - right now there is only one save/restore location but I could add more (maybe up to 10 :))?

I'll add it to the todo list, probably for the next (2.17) beta run.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
injtsvetkov
Fanatic

Post by injtsvetkov »

BriHecato wrote:
injtsvetkov wrote:I have profile for "explorer.exe" which remaps the Middle click to Double click. I know that a few betas ago there was a change to separate the "Desktop" from "Explorer" so one would need two different profiles for them. Since I haven't changed this profile after that change, it was working for both till beta 14. In beta 15 (#475 - Attempt to fixed an issue with profiles after explorer (desktop) restarts.) it stopped working for the "Desktop" and works only for the "Explorer". I reverted back to beta 14 and now it works for both again. I'd like to hear your comment Phil. I'm not suggesting to revert that change! I just need to know would it be possible somehow to make it work like before beta 15 (e.g. if ''explorer.exe" is entered in the "Application" field) and if the user wants it separated to chose the specific window in "Find window"? It just feels strange to make another profile for a simple double click
It don't feel strange at all to create such single-command-profile, it's not dummy, it's not pointless :) It's still the way the XMBC should be used.
I agree my friend :)! I just wanted to hear Phil's opinion if it would be possible/easy to have both options without any conflict (like in beta 14). I can imagine other users updating to v2.16 and freaking out why their "explorer.exe" profile stopped working for the desktop. I don't mind creating another profile but anyway I decided to ask.
BriHecato wrote:Of course Phil can think about add checkbox in settings like:

- checked by default.
Well that would be a decent solution, but I think it must be unchecked by default so it would continue working like before the change.
Anyway I hope I won't give Phil too much headache with this question :angel:
HAMA Mirano
Windows 8.1 x64, Intel i5-3230M @ 2.60GHz, 4GB
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

injtsvetkov wrote:I agree my friend :)! I just wanted to hear Phil's opinion if it would be possible/easy to have both options without any conflict (like in beta 14). I can imagine other users updating to v2.16 and freaking out why their "explorer.exe" profile stopped working for the desktop. I don't mind creating another profile but anyway I decided to ask.
I think you will find that in 2.16 beta 14 is simply wasn't working properly I didn't change anything in beta 15, other that to detect the desktop correctly, using another means because the first method I used to detect the desktop was not working after it crashed/was restarted?!

In 2.15, XMBC could not distinguish between desktop and normal explorer. In 2.16 betas, it now does. I dont think its difficult to either copy your existing profile to a new one for the desktop. I see that users might get confused, but the release note/change log will give the information away and they can always ask here for assistance. I dont think an option to effectively "work the old way" is really worth it. It will be a one off hit that I think we can manage.

I guess I could automatically add a new profile, copying the existing explore.exe profile for the desktop - I didn't think that was wort the coding effort (and I still dont really!!). I'd rather make it more obvious in the change log somehow.
BriHecato wrote:Of course Phil can think about add checkbox in settings like:

- checked by default.
Well that would be a decent solution, but I think it must be unchecked by default so it would continue working like before the change.
Anyway I hope I won't give Phil too much headache with this question :angel:[/quote]
No headache :)
--[ Phil ]--
injtsvetkov
Fanatic

Post by injtsvetkov »

Thanks for the clarification Phil, it makes sense now :)
phil wrote:I guess I could automatically add a new profile, copying the existing explore.exe profile for the desktop - I didn't think that was wort the coding effort (and I still dont really!!). I'd rather make it more obvious in the change log somehow.
IMO adding a new profile automatically is not just worthless but it would be even more confusing to users when they see that new profile (before seeing the changelog, not to mention that a lot of them can't speak english...), some may even delete it thinking that they don't need it and it would be a mess. I think that making it obvious enough (maybe mention it also in the "v2.16 released" thread) is the best choice so anyone would know that they need to copy their "explorer.exe" profile and specify the "Desktop" via the "Find window" feature.

Thanks!
Iliya
HAMA Mirano
Windows 8.1 x64, Intel i5-3230M @ 2.60GHz, 4GB
JTB3
Dedicated

Re: XMBC 2.16 Beta (Feature Request) Middle Button-Activate Window Under Cursor

Post by JTB3 »

JTB3 wrote: Request: Per profile (in each layer), provide a checkbox option to 'Activate' the window under the cursor when the 'Middle Button' is pressed - This option is ONLY needed for the middle button (see below).

Rational/Use Case: With the exception of the 'Middle Button', ALL of the other (non-wheel) mouse button presses automatically activate the window under the cursor (if it is not already active). Go ahead try them all... This presents an issue for XMBC users (like myself) who have profile customizations for the 'Middle Button' in that it often produces unexpected (and undesired) behaviors when clicking the 'middle button' while hovering over a non-active window.
Thanks for your response, Phil. I now need to make some revisions based on your observations.
phil wrote:Interestingly, here on Windows 10 1067 (the same as yours?), the middle button already does activate the window under the cursor already (even without XMBC running).
Thanks so much for testing and reporting this!! Yes, I'm running both 1067 and 1703 and you're correct - Windows normally does activate the window under the cursor when the 'Middle Button' is pressed (my apologies, I had made a faulty assumption). So, it now appears that it is XMBC that's failing to activate the Window under the cursor!

Interestingly, sometimes this is desirable (e.g. in a 'Desktop' profile), and, for most other profiles, this is potentially undesirable and can cause frustration, like the original example I gave (e.g. Chrome.exe profile). So. now the question shifts back to "What is the best solution to handle this issue/inconsistency?" First off, I'd like to respond to your idea...
phil wrote:I was wondering why you cant just setup simulated keys to send an {LMB} first in order to activate the window - is that not an option?
The problem with sending an {LMB} first using symkeys is that if the cursor just so happens to be hovering over a hyperlink or 'button', the {LMB} will not only activate the window, but it will also click the link/button as well - resulting again in undesired behaviors.

So, given all of the above and your suggestion idea. I'd like to offer another idea that could perhaps more easily address the main issue here (and remain backward compatible):

1) Under the 'Simulated Keystrokes' section, add an {ACTIVATE} tag that would simply activate the window under the cursor. So in my case, I'd prepend this to the 'Middle Button' symkeys on most of my profiles (except for the 'desktop').
2) Alternatively, under the 'Simulated Keystrokes' section, provide a checkbox that says 'Activate Profile Window Before Sending Keys (If not already activated) - This option might offer less flexibility, however, than the one above.

My original suggestion (place an 'Activate' checkbox next to the 'Middle Button' on each layer) could also still work - but that might be a less-subtle change and more work.

Penny for your thoughts? -JT :)
System: Win10 Pro-x64 v1702+v1607, Intel i7-7700K (Z270) + i7-4771 (Z87)
Logitech M570 Wireless (5-Button) Trackball + M705 (5-Button) Marathon Mouse
[Bay Area, California]
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I like the {ACTIVATE} tad idea - and it may also help resolve Maxoku's copy under the cursor issue as we can activate the ctrl+c etc too

Good thinking - I will see what I can do (in the next beta).
--[ Phil ]--
JTB3
Dedicated

Post by JTB3 »

phil wrote:I like the {ACTIVATE} tag idea - and it may also help resolve Maxoku's copy under the cursor issue as we can activate the ctrl+c etc too

Good thinking - I will see what I can do (in the next beta).
So Cool! 8) Glad this resonates and thanks for listening. Really looking forward to this! :)
-JT
[Bay Area, California]
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Done it already :) - it nice and easy!
Question is, do I release a new beta without the "documentation" in the simkey window - in case it does not work and then is not worth doing all the translations....

.... Yes I think I do - and if it works (you can confirm) I will add the documentation to the simkey window tomorrow!

Prep for 2.16 beta 16....
--[ Phil ]--
JTB3
Dedicated

Post by JTB3 »

phil wrote:Done it already :) - it nice and easy!
Question is, do I release a new beta without the "documentation" in the simkey window - in case it does not work and then is not worth doing all the translations....

.... Yes I think I do - and if it works (you can confirm) I will add the documentation to the simkey window tomorrow!

Prep for 2.16 beta 16....
Totally awesome! Can't wait to test... :)
[Bay Area, California]
maxoku
Committed

Post by maxoku »

BriHecato wrote:
maxoku wrote:What a deserted topic it is lol.
If there's nothing change (for me) and all is working fine - what should i talk about :)
What a lively topic it is XD.
phil wrote:I like the {ACTIVATE} tad idea - and it may also help resolve Maxoku's copy under the cursor issue as we can activate the ctrl+c etc too
It's paste under the cursor (ctrl+v), but you can do the same with copy too if you like :P .
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK I will try that again... Here is 2.16 Beta 16.

If you have check for beta versions enabled, you should get notified of a new version and prompted to update in the next day or so. This is the most efficient method (bandwidth wise) as the updates are only a fraction of the size of the full install. Otherwise, you can get the full installation beta HERE. Note that this link will always get you the latest beta version!

Changes since v2.16 Beta 15:
  • #488 - Add {ACTIVATE} simkey tag to activate the window under the cursor (note: probably wont work in portable version).
  • #487 - Add ability to save/restore up to 10 cursor position {MSAVE:x} {MREST:x}.
There are no changes to the translation template since 2.16 beta 15 BUT if these changes work, the simkey window text will need to be updated in the next beta.

Any problems, PM me a copy of the log file (or post a snippet in a code block here).

Thanks,
Phil

PS: And there goes my plan of not doing anything XMBC over the bank holiday weekend :lol:.
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

phil wrote:
BriHecato wrote:Phil - it is possibble to save and restore 2 different mouse positions?
Like:
I dont see why I couldn't add that - right now there is only one save/restore location but I could add more (maybe up to 10 :))?

I'll add it to the todo list, probably for the next (2.17) beta run.

Thanks,
Phil
OK OK. I did it in beta 16 :).
{MSAVE:1} - {MSAVE:10}
{MREST:1} - {MREST:10} / {MRESTORE:1} - {MRESTORE:10}

Let me know if it works!
--[ Phil ]--