X-mouse tilt activation

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
shaddow501
New User

X-mouse tilt activation

Post by shaddow501 »

Hello
How do I enable the tilt on the 1.40 version?
phil
Site Admin

Re: X-mouse tilt activation

Post by phil »

Are you running on Vista or later - if so, it should be enabled, there is no need to "enable" it?
Tilt functionality only works on Vista and later because earlier OS's do not natively support the messages for the horizontal scrolling from the wheel.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
bkc56
New User

Post by bkc56 »

phil wrote:Tilt functionality only works on Vista and later because earlier OS's do not natively support the messages for the horizontal scrolling from the wheel.
I'll admit that I'm not knowledgable about drivers and programs that access them, but...

I'm using a Logitech mouse with the SetPoint bloat-ware installed. It fully supports the tile-wheel and re-mapping of its function.

I turned off SetPoint (leaving it and it's drivers installed), installed XMBC but it still had the tilt-wheel disabled. I'd have thought that if the driver supported it (as Logitech's seems to) that XMBC would see it.

What am I missing? Is it possible for XMBC to somehow query the driver for tilt support and enable it even on an older OS (like Win-XP)?

Thanks.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

What am I missing? Is it possible for XMBC to somehow query the driver for tilt support and enable it even on an older OS (like Win-XP)?
On XP, the TILT is handled by the drivers, they send some message to the setpoint software, or they translate the tilt into messages that windows understands.

However, it does not translate into the WM_MOUSEHWHEEL message that is used as standard in Vista and later. The older OS's (XP, 2003, 2000) had no such concept as a standard message, therefore, each and every driver is likely going to do it their own way.

And I'm not about to write custom code to support mouse drivers which I know nothing about - its impossible.

There is one possibility, RAW INPUT. I have been playing with that recently and it *may* expose the tile buttons in XP. But don't get your hopes up, when I last tried enabling raw input, everything else in XMBC broke, so its not going to be a simple job - and again, even with this method, its quite likely that mice will do different things, making a generic solution like XMBC impossible.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
bkc56
New User

Post by bkc56 »

Yes the configuration mode has been mentioned by someone else. Unfortunately, in my experience, there is no mouse message sent at all, and last time I looked (when trying to get >5 buttons to work on my Logitech MX518) I found that the drivers talk to the application like "setpoint" directly without using messages, and then the app like setpoint does the message sending - therefore, without setpoint installed/running, you will see no messages of any sort.

I spent hours trying to find a work around back then and came up with nothing.
Unless RawInput works, then I doubt I will have much more luck now - but rawinput may work for the tilt (although it does not work for the extra buttons as far as I can tell - and as the tilt is treated as buttons - who knows.)

As I said earlier, rawinput causes other problems and I think it only works from XP onwards. Therefore its not simple but I am still looking into utilising it where possible without removing backwards compatibility.

Thanks,
Phil
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Opps, I might just have edited your last post rather than replied :oops:

Anyway. I've just tried to get rawinput from my tilt wheel on XP... and no joy - its not there either.
So it really is a no-go :(.

Phil
--[ Phil ]--
bkc56
New User

Post by bkc56 »

OK, thanks for giving it one more look.