5 buttons and 4 directions roll mouses

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Kukurykus
Fanatic

5 buttons and 4 directions roll mouses

Post by Kukurykus »

This is a topic about 5 buttons (left, right, middle, 4th and 5th) mices with 4 directions roll which are recognized by Windows. You find in first post of this topic a list of all old/new mouses in mentioned configuration, 5 + 4. In the first instance there are two groups of mouses tested by forums users. In the first group all of those which passed, so with buttons, scroll and tilt recognized by XMBC, which also works correctly and there are not problems to use them as chords. In the second group you'll find mouses which failed, so didn't fulfil conditions. Then you find alphabetical list of all mouses which I hope will be updated when someone find a new one and post about. If any of XMBC users is willing to participate in the tests of their mouses they can post if their mouse should be placed in first or second group, and if in the second then what problem was with a mouse.

Now, on the day of this post there is long list of mouses in this topic, but only a few were tested, while many others perhaps some other users can do if they have them or going to buy.

There is probably no need to say how buttons should work but I'm not sure it's a rule about a tilt. If I'm right a correct behaviuor is when after a push of tilt it should give back a signal, and then when tilt is still pushed make break to give back constant repeated signal with very short unnoticable delays (300ms probably).

PASSED:

Tester: BriHecato
Natec Genesis GX88

Tester: injtsvetkov
HAMA Mirano

Tester: Kukurykus
HAMA Roma
Rapoo 3920P

Tester: Phil
Logitech G9
Logitech MX518
Logitech MX500
Trust ComfortLine Bluetooth Mini Mouse (No tilt)
Microsoft Intellimouse Optical (No tilt)
Microsoft Wireless Mobile mouse 4000 (4 Buttons)
Tecknet Bluetooth Mouse BM306 (No tilt)

NOT TESTED BUT PROBABLY PASSED:

HAMA Torino / the smallest 1 of 3 and wireless

Rapoo 7100P / bigger sister of Rapoo 3920, though with other shape
Rapoo 7800P / the biggest sister of Rapoo 3920, thouth with other spape
RAPOO N6200 / the same as model Rapoo 7800P but wireless

Natec Genesis GX78 / a little worst clone of Natec Genesis GX88
Shogunbros Ballista-MK-1 / clone of Natec Genesis GX88

FAILED:

Tester: BriHecato
Logitech 502 Proteus Spectrum / "XBMC doesn't recognize wheel tilt"

Tester: coldlucas23, Kukurykus
Logitech M560 / "does NOT work 100% with XMBC", Middle Button changes behaviour of (fast/slow) scrolling

Tester: Kukurykus
Logitech M510 / chording 5th with 4th doesn't work, while 4th with 5th hardly works. With SetPoint installed 4th with 5th works but 5th with 4th still not and additionally chording left/right button with tilt left/right stops working
Logitech M545 / chording 5th with 4th doesn't work, while 4th with 5th hardly works. With SetPoint installed 4th with 5th works but 5th with 4th still not and additionally left/right button with tilt left/right stops working
HP 5-Button Comfort / generally it works, but a tilt work unproperly itself (read beginning of this post)

NOT TESTED BUT PROBABLY FAILED:

Logitech 502 Proteus Core / it looks like clone of Logitech 502 Proteus Spectrum
Logitech M546 / I don't know what is difference but it looks alike Logitech M545

THE LIST OF ALMOST ALL MOUSES MEETING REQUIREMENTS (5 + 4):

A4Tech BW-5
A4Tech RP-680
A4Tech SWOP-80

Ace Edge3200
Ace GX300
Ace GX500
Ace ML20
Ace ML20W
Ace ML30W
Ace ML500W
Ace MLUC100
Ace MLUC250

Acme MN01
Acme MW01
Acme Deluxe MA01

Acteck MI-750

BTC M877U
BTC M969TAL III

Dell Alienware TactX
Dell Black Matte XPS Premium
Dell XPS 18
Dell WM326

Gigabyte Aire M93 ICE
Gigabyte Aivia M8600
Gigabyte Aivia M8600 V2
Gigabyte GM-M8000
Gigabyte M8000x
Gigabyte M6900
Gigabyte M6900 v2
Gigabyte M6980x
Gigabyte M7800
Gigabyte Uranium

Hama Mirano
Hama Roma
Hama Torino

HP 5-Button Comfort

Logitech G300
Logitech G300S
Logitech G5
Logitech G500
Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Logitech G518
Logitech G600 MMO
Logitech G700
Logitech G9
Logitech G9X
Logitech G900
Logitech LX7
Logitech LX8
Logitech 318E
Logitech M500
Logitech M510
Logitech M545
Logitech M546
Logitech M560
Logitech M705
Logitech M705 Marathon
Logitech MediaPlay
Logitech MX Anywhere
Logitech MX Anywhere 2
Logitech MX Master
Logitech MX Revolution
Logitech MX400
Logitech MX500
Logitech MX510
Logitech MX600
Logitech MX610
Logitech MX620
Logitech MX700
Logitech MX1000
Logitech MX1100
Logitech Notebook
Logitech NX80
Logitech Performance MX
Logitech RX1500
Logitech V400
Logitech VX Nano
Logitech VX Revolution

Mad Catz Office R.A.T.
Mad Catz M.O.U.S. 9

Natec Genesis GX78
Natec Genesis GX88

Rapoo 3920P
Rapoo 7100P
Rapoo 7800P
Rapoo N6200

Razer Mamba
Razer Naga Epic Chroma
Razer Naga Hex
Razer Naga Hex V2

Revoltec FightMouse
Revoltec Fight Mouse PRO
Revoltec FightMouse Elite

Roccat Kone
Roccat Kone Plus
Roccat Kone V2
Roccat Kone XTD

Shogunbros Ballista-MK-1

SilverCrest NM1005
Silvercrest PC-Funkmaus OM1007
Silvercrest PC-Funkmaus SOML807A1

Steelseries RIVAL 500

Tracer EAZZY RF

Trust MI 2830RP
Trust MI 2950R
Trust MI 4950R
Trust MI 6600RP
Trust MI 6960CP
Trust MI 7600RP
Trust MI 7700R
Trust MI 7760CP

Phil if you think this topic let people to find a good mouse they can use fully with XMBC normally and with chording make this topic sticky. You may also edit it when someone make new post containing information about a mouse from list or just new one. It would be nice you can do it as only you'll have rights to this, however I don't think people will deliver any info about some passed / failed tests so often that you should feel as you got another work to do :D
Last edited by Kukurykus on Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz, 8GB,
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, Intel SSD 179 GB HDD
phil
Site Admin

Re: 5 buttons and 4 directions roll mouses

Post by phil »

Consider it sticky - thanks for the research so far!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
injtsvetkov
Fanatic

Post by injtsvetkov »

I've got HAMA Mirano :) (bought it for €25) It works great with XMBC - tilt is recognized normally and works like it should, chording with all button combinations works fine (IMO 4->5 and 5->4 is not so comfortable though as they are a bit curved). It's a wireless laser mouse with a DPI switch, ON/OFF switch and a button for connecting the mouse (which I've never used as it always connects automaticaly) on the bottom. The LMB and RMB are "Silent" - you don't hear a CLICK when you press them, but all other buttons are CLICKing like usual. The wheel is sloped and quite comfortable to tilt IMO. It uses two AAA batteries and there is a whole in the bottom to put the USB receiver when you transport the mouse, which is quite handy :wink: It's a great mouse, however indeed it's a small one which is a disadvantage in my case and I'm still trying to get used to it but I'm not sure if I ever will be :?
If someone has some other questions about that model, or want me to try something, please don't hesitate to ask me :)

Iliya
HAMA Mirano
Windows 8.1 x64, Intel i5-3230M @ 2.60GHz, 4GB
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

Iliya it seems I still have rights to edit a topic I created, so I just moved Hama Mirano to Passed section and added you as Tester. It's good reveiw and I confirm it's exactly same with Hama Roma, however I don't have problems to use 4th and 5th buttons as chords. It's probably because my model is bigger or I do it other way than you. I press one of these kays with a stright thumb. If I want to press 5th button then I do a little arc between a finger and a mouse and then press 4th button and when firestly I press 4th button I do it by a middle part of thumb where there's hard part of bone. I wanted to order Mirano model too to see isn't mine a little to big. Now I think it's enough comfortable while smaller model, especially after your description seems to be for people with little hands. Anyway don't be sad, there's even smaller model, Torino, and what's bad it's cable vesion :D

I have only problem with pressing left button, then keeping it tilting a scroll to the right. It's only one hard thing I had to practise and find a method to do it. But it's still not so good as you have to change position of your left button finger to the left mouse edge. Regarding other combinations I'm happy that there is no need to move and bend your fingers what I experienced with very little Rapoo 3920P. Using chords makes a cursor is moving. The conclusion is that the more massive and more heavy mouse it's easier to use chords.

Width x Depth x Height of:

Hama Torino is 6,2 x 10,7 x 3,4 cm
Hama Mirano is 6,8 x 10,7 x 3,7 cm
Hama Roma is 7,2 x 12,3 x 4 cm

What's funny cost of Roma and Mirano is the same.

I like also that wide and flat roll. It's easy to keep your finger on top and tilt to left, but to tilt to right you unfortunately have to change position of finger to the left side to push it to right. It's because right side of roll is smaller and lower than left, and like I said it's additionall reason there is problem with chord of left button with tilt to right.

I like too that you can transport your USB receiver, but as I see it's already normal for present mouses, still a good idea though, especially for me when each day I bring it to work and then back to home. Clicking is silent in fact, but I would add that clicking as pressing not, and that is very good. You don't hear clicking but hear and feel pressing otherwise you would never know without watching a screen did that worked. The sound of left and right button is very relaxing in my opinion and using this mouse only for these two kays is very exciting (similary with a kind of light-soft serrated roll it got). You didn't mention about surface. It's excellent that on side of your thumb there is a rubber what let your finger to be placed all the time in one position. it doesn't move down like it's on right side where mouse is made from slick and shining maretial to let your 4th finger freely falls down to the desk. Top of mouse is a kind of "teflon", what's not so sticky as a rubber and slick like right mouse side, but something beetwen - a little rough but still smooth, that your clicking may be more precise.

Another thing I'd like this mice had is additional little button next to roll to hand direction letting you changing a speed of roll since if you move it harder to up/down it stops after 6-7 moves. Not good when you browse every bunch of images or scroll to skip some text code lines.

Other things not said earlier:
They wrote it's an office mouse because of that left and right buttons, and in fact where I work I'm only one person others don't hear I do something or I'm still in job :) You wrote 4th and 5th are curved. Yes that's true. honestly I noticed it after your words. But trying other mouses, Logitech's mainly I'm glad I'm not owener of one of them. Their 4th and 5th buttons are too thin and not enough protrude to handle them as chords. I think you should have bigger model as I tried now again those 2 buttons and here's their curve gives a positive effect. That button under mouse for connecting I use sometimes as maybe I should change a USB port for my transmitter, every now and then a mouse loses connection and only when I press that bottom button it works again in no time. From my experience USB 3.0 are not good to use with mouse. When I plug in receiver to USB 2.0, a mouse never fails.

PS. when there are more mouse oweners leaving their posts that a main topic will be growing by my updates I start adding at its bottom, so underneath that long list of mouses, pictures of tested mouses with perhpas a description like yours under related product.
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz, 8GB,
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, Intel SSD 179 GB HDD
MAx1234Ita
New User

Post by MAx1234Ita »

Hi, New here :-)

I own two Logitech mice: a M560 and a MX Anywhere (v1).
Unfortunately both of them are not 100% working with XMBC, since I can't get 4th and 5th button to be recognized.

Think there's also some issue with wheel tilt but I'm not sure, I don't use that function

Any trick to get those buttons working?

Cheers,
Max - Italy
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Several things to try...

If you have setpoint installed, make sure the tilt is configured to send the default messages (which I guess are scroll left/right horizontally).
Uninstall setpoint and see if that makes any difference

Normally mice that have configuration software (eg. Logitech & MS and a few others) all intercept the tilt at a lower level (driver or configuration software) before the messages get to windows to generate the standard windows mouse messages that XMBC works with.

Normally uninstalling the software works - although some mice (Logitech G9 for example) can have multiple profiles directly in the mouse hardware, and in those cases, those profiles need to be configured to send defaults or it simply wont work!

Thanks
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
beryfarnandas
New User

Post by beryfarnandas »

nice article dear it would be very helpful for me i am using Logitech G502
16kbzx81
New User

Post by 16kbzx81 »

I have a g300S

Working:
L
R
L1
L2
Wheel
Wheel Press

Not working
R1
R2
Middle1
Middle2

Pic
http://prntscr.com/fgflnc
Texta
New User

Post by Texta »

Hi there,

ist' my first post. Thanks for this piece of really nice software. I tried it with a new mouse, the

Razer Mamba TE (Tournament Edition) - "XBMC doesn't recognize wheel tilt"

- XMBC highlights scroll up / down in settings on tilt left / right. That's the intention of Razer, too - but not mine. Does anybody managed to set copy / paste on the Razer Mamba TE wheel tilt?

Thanks!
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Hi Texta, you really should have created a new thread for your issue, but never mind :)
I suspect you either have razor software installed which is remapping the tilt to scroll, or the razor driver does this.
Try unloading any razor software (I'm not familiar with Razor devices so I dont know if they have any of their own software) and if not, try removing the driver and using the generic HID device driver instead.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
Bertino
New User

Post by Bertino »

phil wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:43 pm try removing the driver and using the generic HID device driver instead.
Hi Phil, where can we download the gneric HID driver?
Last edited by Bertino on Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

You cant download it as far as I know - its part of Windows!
--[ Phil ]--
ergoZ
New User

Post by ergoZ »

Kensington Pro Fit Ergo Vertical Trackball (K75326)
The first four buttons are recognized but not the fifth. Tilt recognized.
rbarrios
New User

Post by rbarrios »

Hi,

Great software! Thank you. I'd like to use the wheel to adjust volume up or down while holding the 4th or 5th button.

I have found that chording is not working for buttons 4 and 5 on the Logitech MX Anywhere 3.

I have noticed that the actions triggered by those buttons (on any application, appart from X-Mouse) happen when the buttons are RELEASED. In other words, there would be now way to tell when that buttons remains being pressed.... If that behaviour is done in hardware (well... firmware) inside the mouse, then I see little chances of chording being a possibility with this buttons...

Are you aware of this?

Thank you!
Roberto
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Hi Roberto, this thread is not for asking questions or reporting problems. It is to list mice that are known to work/be compatible with XMBC.
Please create a new topic (as per the forum rules!) where we can discuss and work out what is going on..
--[ Phil ]--