Is IE set by XMBC as default during updates?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Is IE set by XMBC as default during updates?

Post by Kukurykus »

I'd like to ask is it set by XMBC by default that each time it opens a site section with update (I mean when they are available it promts to chack for them if earlier I didn't it myself) it opens Internet Explorer instead of Chrome browser I have chosen as main? Can I change it somehow in XMBS settings? Just I noticed if there are some other apps. oppening internet browser it hapens in that browser I set personally.

In first instance there appears http://vps2.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMB ... on=2140005 and then https://www.microsoft.com/pl-pl/welcomeie11/ so like after fresh system installation (it happened on previous Windows I used with Chrome too).
phil
Site Admin

Re: Is IE set by XMBC as default during updates?

Post by phil »

That's odd, for me it opens in the default browser (that's firefox for me). Its the installer not XMBC itself but it just calls the shell Open which should use your default browser.

The only thing I can think, is maybe because the installer runs as admin, its using a different user account and that account's default is IE?

Thanks
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

You are right installer has Admistrator yellow - blue sheiled, so it's why that had to be opened in IE. Problem is that in properties when I want to untick running as admin there's it already unticked so I have no idea how to get rid of it. I downloaded it from your site and it had admin control from beggining. Perhaps if I copied that it would be free of it. I tried now to turn off some things in Windows security, including some SmartFilter which prevents web applications to making changes in system. Then I reseted computer, downloaded xmbc, but it had a shield on icon still. After another installation (to C:\Program Files\Highresolution Enterprises\X-Mouse Button Control) I wasn't surprised your site opened in IE, and what's funny I got even advertisment (as I don't use IE so ad-blocker for too) to download Chrome :/

Well any idea what could I do, or just some trick to do something with that shield if that is problem though in settings shows it's off...
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz, 8GB,
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, Intel SSD 179 GB HDD
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

The installer has to run as admin - as most installers do - they (generally) need admin to be able to write to program files. You'd be better off changing your admin account so it's default browser is also chrome (just login to the desktop as that admin user and then change its default browser). Im not sure if I can change the installer to launch the browser in user space (that would actually be much better) but it uses NSIS which is quite old now (and im not just about to re-write the whole installation routine just to change that one little thing!).
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

What I did previously to make it working however it failed again I write in second part of post. At the beginning is what made IE didn't open after running installer what unfortunatelly is not solution for me.

I simply took into consideration you mentioned that you don't have this problem with Firefox you're using. Well I installed Firefox broswer, set it as default and ran installer of XMBC again. Your website opened in Firefox!

Why I'm not happy? Because I do want to use Chrome. (of course after all it's not even problem, however I think it should be linked to browser user of XMBC set in his Windows).

Second part. I hope I understood you correctly. I can't log in as admin as my only account (if I'm right) is Admin account (I didn't create any user account like I have for example in my work where I share computer with other workers). I tried to change everything I could in default applications settings (including those single ones opened by IE (though internet generally was set already to be opened in Chrome), like files(?) with .website extension what has to open web links of applications (I thought maybe here's a problem, but not). Some bound to IE (Windows 10 / settrings / system / default applications / different sections) had option to un/tick but were untickable though.

It seems some browsers (or only chrome) don't open XMBC site after installation for some reason or I just don't know how to change it in Windows if it is what it's really causing. Anyway you do great work with XMBC and this one little bug(?) is not important at the end, but irritating to see it quite often due (what's fantastic) often XMBC updates :)
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz, 8GB,
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, Intel SSD 179 GB HDD