XMBC 2.14 Beta

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
phil
Site Admin

Re: XMBC 2.14 Beta

Post by phil »

Maybe it should, but right now that's not what I did - only the active tab has Layer prefixed so if scrolling & navigation is active, the other tabs don't have layer....

The problem with making changes are that what ever I do, someone wont like it :(.
Still its late now and I have work tomorrow so I'm going to see what other reaction I get.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
BriHecato
Dedicated

Post by BriHecato »

Beta13

You've made it with layer tabs, nice, clean and tidy :)

This darker background in some groups of actions in drop down menu - i don't really see how darker it gets. No difference for me. Maybe others got brighter screens (or more contrast).

Personally don't like Kukurykus suggestion about wider tabs that fill whole width. But as I do not really use them every solution would be ok. For me tere can be no TabControl with tabs, just one layer and "scroll & navigation" could be on separated button.

Got one thing unfortunatelly - should this look like that? It's #390 but hmm strange...
http://i66.tinypic.com/2lcm7q.png
I got some chording there, but got default action also ...

OMG!
i'm stupid before first coffee ... was writing about implementing rebind of default action apart of chording - but it's already there and works ...
http://i65.tinypic.com/2s8245e.png
Let the PC do the hard work = AHK + C# + HTML/CSS/JS + XMBC + Clavier+ + AutoLisp + VBA/OOB
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Thanks for the feedback.
OMG!
i''m stupid before first coffee ... was writing about implementing rebind of default action apart of chording - but it's already there and works ...
http://i65.tinypic.com/2s8245e.png
LOL - yes I know what you mean about that first coffee... :)
--[ Phil ]--
injtsvetkov
Fanatic

Post by injtsvetkov »

Wohoooow, Awesome :D
It's just that the tabs are too small :( (maybe they should be somewhere about twice that width). But if you can't center the number when they are wider then better do it your way ('Layer 1' fixed and the others - fixed width with centered numbers).
Unfortunately that 'Scrolling & Navigation' tab is always a potential trouble. So here is another variant: Why not change it to a button and locate it in the upper right corner of the 'Profile Information' area. Such a button that gets darker when clicked/activated and turns back to normal when clicked again/deactivated (I don't know how it is called). And the contents could still be in the Layer container like it is now. It's just that when you click the button the 'Scrolling & Navigation' contents will appear in the Layer container and will stay there until you click to deactivate the button no matter if you click the layers meanwhile. Or if you can do it to automatically deactivate the button when a layer tab is clicked and the corresponding layer is shown. That way you can set the tab width so they fill the whole line when all 10 layers are shown (or even make it 12 :P). As I think of it, the option for the number of layers would become somewhat pointless as all layers could be shown always.

By the way - the grey is perfect IMO :)

And thanks for the default chord button action in drop-down text!

Above all this is your app, your hobby, your time, your effort so you decide what to do and how it's gonna be no mater if some of us don't like it as long as you like it (as you noted - it's impossible to satisfy everybody). We just try to help as much as we can with our feedback, opinions and suggestions and what ever you decide we are going to like it eventually :).

Greetings!
Iliya
HAMA Mirano
Windows 8.1 x64, Intel i5-3230M @ 2.60GHz, 4GB
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

I read BriHecato comment and was affraid what injtsvetkov say before he posted too. Now I'm after breakfast and I'm happy not only me thinks those layer buttons are too small (perhpas because I use often many of them).

1) if they had to be as now it's not comfortable to choose them as I had to do it precisely, I mean with more focus to avoid choosing not that I wanted to click. If there is way to make their size greater at least a little it's always better than now.

2) regarding "Scrolling & Navigation" Button I thought to move it somewhere else like injtsvetkov proposed, but I'm not sure whould be that good idea, especially a way (if I imagined that proper way injtsvetkov described). Of course that be best solution if helped to specify longer length of number tabs irrespectively of tab content length.

3) I thougth yestarday before sleeping that now there is no need to specify in setting how many layers have to be displayed, now when all of them can stay in one row (not max two like before). So to solve the problem I agree with injtsvetkov you could Phil set by default number of layers to 10 and remove option to increase them from settings or leave it if someone like to have displayed only those tabs layer he acctually uses (but then they'd be probably narrowed). No sense to add another layers, I'm not sure someone got even 10? but if that had to help then 12 in sum or whatever number of them maximally (not too much certainly) would be fine. And the case when you have by default 10 (max) tab layers displayed but you want to know without checking which are inactive/disabled/unused: tabs could have simply darker grey colour while those a user didn't turned off were still light grey. It's like now with selected tab and that unselected (yet), but those inactive had to be much darker than unselected & enabled to see difference. Obviously I have no idea is that possible to achive in this C++ panel(?)

4) maybe you can add 'space' or tabulator' characters before and after numbers, so if these start white spaces characters wouldn't be interpreted by C++ as empty space what casued their reduction, this way wider buttons let to have 10 layer tabs with only digits in them perfectly adjusted to menu length. It's a trick I personally use when I build my panels in Javascript and I want everything be good looking if there is no option to do it other way.

UPDATE:

Am I doing something wrong - I can't choose buttons from shortcuts. I tried alt, shift and ctrl and they didn't work:
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz, 8GB,
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, Intel SSD 179 GB HDD
injtsvetkov
Fanatic

Post by injtsvetkov »

I also have tried that a while ago but it seems it doesn't work :?
HAMA Mirano
BriHecato
Dedicated

Post by BriHecato »

"Scrolling & navigation" could be moved (whole tab) to settings. So main window has only Layers tabs (or no tabs for me ;) )
Tabs can be bigger (imagine hit it on 4K monitor where everything is in 1mm square :D).

Is there TAG in "simulated keys" to switch layers ?
Or Ineed to set first "modifier keys" combination for switch layer and then tag this combination manually in simulated keys?
My coworker thinks about using layers 'cos he got only small wireless 3-button mouse (A4tech with rapid fire=double click button), not 13-button mouse like mine :P
But he require immediately switch to another layer after action/command is executed. Not after 1 or 2 seconds of waiting. He got his own pace, and of course software let us wait sometimes.

He would like to make sequence for commands and switching layers:
Start with rightclik chord (hold right and press left) - this chord should be "simulated keys" that send command to app and switch to another layer - in another layer he define the same chord and but with another "simulated keys" command - that send him to 3rd layer and 3rd chord .. etc.
Remember The Jetson Cartoon? Mr Jetson has a job that he smash one button - that's the goal :D
http://i63.tinypic.com/6puxjo.png

Maybe TAG that switch profiles and force app to focus and come to foreground??
Profile window could have labels [Profile1][Profile2] - and there can be tags {PROFILE1} etc...

The more I read about layers the more I'm thinking is this usable to me :D I like improvements but clicking on icons that i see, know and recognize is faster than remember 20 combos programmed on my mouse or keyboard. I don't even use Ctrł+U for underline in MSWord, and it takes for me last two years to remember F4 in excel (to change cell adress A4 into $A$4) :D :D
Last edited by BriHecato on Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let the PC do the hard work = AHK + C# + HTML/CSS/JS + XMBC + Clavier+ + AutoLisp + VBA/OOB
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

Yes there is. I used it in my long simulated keys codes long time before choriding were available and I still had 3 buttons mouse without tilt. I communicated between layers and buttons where each button had specific long code finished with (if I remember well): {layer:2} (or whatever other number or else what somone suggested about year ago and Phill did implemented (layer:next}).

The problem was I used it often but never posted here (dunno why), and never reported a bug which I'm still not sure was fixed. When I used it there was no matter position of for ex. {layer:3} in simulated keys code, it opened your code, was somewhere inside or closed it it always worked as that was at beggining of your code :( Although I wanted active layer to that where combination started, it firstly switched to destinated layer and then executed the code. Phil do you know something that was changed for better?

UPDATE:

Sorry, that wasn't {layer:next} however that might working too, that was {layer:last}, so whatever layer you had to set before (for example now you have layer 7, and before that was layer 3), program remembered that and called history state, so it was always set back to layer you used. I have to say it is very useful, this way you can make many repetitive tasks without many codes where only difference was number of layer. It still can be the same code with {layer:last) bound to the same layer, or layers where there is need to go back to previous layer, which is something like start layer for next ones you use.

Ps. Phil I know your politics, you don't want manuals for users of your tool, you say it can make more problems than you answer on forums (or something like that you said some time ago), but I assume there are many functions I don't use though I could only because I can't read about them nowhere :(
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz, 8GB,
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, Intel SSD 179 GB HDD
BriHecato
Dedicated

Post by BriHecato »

Thanks Kukurykus - will look into it tomorrow, theres no info about those layer-tags in plain sight.

To Phil - found possible-bug:
Simulated keys replace apostrophe

Code: Select all

'
with weak accent

`
in keystrokes.

I need to send command with value in apostroph quotes

insert_text 'thistext'   30.00 ... 
but get this

insert_text `thistext`   30.00 ... 

It's not problem with target app, because in word/notepad I also get weak accent. Tried also something like regular expressions

\'
but it didn't help.

If i put weak accent in keystroke I get weak accent, if I put double qoutation mark I get double quotation mark, but no apostrophe. Is this bug or maybe some limitation?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

BriHecato wrote:"Scrolling & navigation" could be moved (whole tab) to settings. So main window has only Layers tabs (or no tabs for me ;) )
Tabs can be bigger (imagine hit it on 4K monitor where everything is in 1mm square :D).
No because that tab is profile specific - not global (like settings).
BriHecato wrote:Is there TAG in "simulated keys" to switch layers ?
Or Ineed to set first "modifier keys" combination for switch layer and then tag this combination manually in simulated keys?
Yes as mentioned... {layer:x} x=1-10 and {layer:next{ {layer:last}/{layer:previous}
BriHecato wrote:Maybe TAG that switch profiles and force app to focus and come to foreground??
Profile window could have labels [Profile1][Profile2] - and there can be tags {PROFILE1} etc...
Oh no, profiles are detected and activated by the active window. It is not possible (i don't think) in Windows to activate another window from an external program (MS explicitly prevent this so apps can steal focus).
BriHecato wrote:To Phil - found possible-bug:
Simulated keys replace apostrophe
I'll have to look at this one - I'm not sure why it would do that - what input language are you using - English or other? I'll try and see if it does the same for me.

To everyone else... I'm getting to the point where I'm spending a disproportional amount of time on the GUI compared to actual functionality (this is a problem with the complexity of c++). I want to close out 2.14 but I will try and get the tabs right. I'm not moving/changing the scrolling and navigation - its to much work and the things on that tab do belong to the per-profile!

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
injtsvetkov
Fanatic

Post by injtsvetkov »

phil wrote:To everyone else... I'm getting to the point where I'm spending a disproportional amount of time on the GUI compared to actual functionality (this is a problem with the complexity of c++). I want to close out 2.14 but I will try and get the tabs right. I'm not moving/changing the scrolling and navigation - its to much work and the things on that tab do belong to the per-profile!
Couldn't agree more :!:

It's time for 2.14
HAMA Mirano
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Oh, that and the problem that some are still seeing missing buttons occasionally :twisted:
--[ Phil ]--
injtsvetkov
Fanatic

Post by injtsvetkov »

Well I've been through every beta and never had such problem on win 8.1! Always all buttons and lines has been there. I hope that could give you a clue.

And that apostrophe thing BriHecato reported, I tried with both English and Bulgarian input and both are working fine - no accent.
HAMA Mirano
BriHecato
Dedicated

Post by BriHecato »

phil wrote: BriHecato pisze:
"Scrolling & navigation" could be moved (whole tab) to settings. So main window has only Layers tabs (or no tabs for me ;) )

No because that tab is profile specific - not global (like settings).
Didn't realize that.
Is there TAG in "simulated keys" to switch layers ?

Yes as mentioned... {layer:x} x=1-10 and {layer:next{ {layer:last}/{layer:previous}
Excellent!
Maybe TAG that switch profiles and force app to focus and come to foreground??

Oh no, profiles are detected and activated by the active window. It is not possible (i don't think) in Windows to activate another window from an external program (MS explicitly prevent this so apps can steal focus).
Alright. Just researched, there're some tricks but Windows doig everything to avoid stealing focus, so tricks sometimes works, sometimes not. Drop it.
phil wrote:To everyone else... I'm getting to the point where I'm spending a disproportional amount of time on the GUI compared to actual functionality (this is a problem with the complexity of c++). I want to close out 2.14 but I will try and get the tabs right. I'm not moving/changing the scrolling and navigation - its to much work and the things on that tab do belong to the per-profile!
I think it's settled.

Apostrophe-accent thing happens in each app in every profile. I'm using polish language (programmer keyboard). Also checked english and theres apostrophe without a problem ...

---update---
I got two languages that i can switch i Windows - when i removed English and left Polish only problem is gone.
I do not need more :)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

BriHecato wrote:
Apostrophe-accent thing happens in each app in every profile. I'm using polish language (programmer keyboard). Also checked english and theres apostrophe without a problem ...

---update---
I got two languages that i can switch i Windows - when i removed English and left Polish only problem is gone.
I do not need more :)
OK that is good - thanks for letting me know. Odd though and may be worth following up next time round.

All:
I think I have got 2.14 Beta 14 ready to go but ran out of time by 4am (had to sleep!!!). I think I have eventually resolved the random missing picture buttons on the tabs - but no doubt as soon as someone else tries it it will fail :roll: Its one of those nasty sequencing issues that seems to different from system to system, never mind OS to OS!

I have modified the tabs again so that if you have less than 5, it keeps the "Layer X" in full and if more than 5, the first tab has "Layer 1" then all other tabs are "| 2 | 3 | 4 |...." (i.e. wider than in 2.14b13 and centered (pretty much). Seems to work.

When I get home tonight (probably wont be untill after 10pm (BST) today) I will see if I am awake enough to push it out here!

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--