XMBC 2.13 Beta

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
WayHow47

Re: XMBC 2.13 Beta

Post by WayHow47 »

Hello Phil,

Thanks for your reply. It can be almost any page but one that I use regularly www.cnn.com has a problem. Today sometimes I could scroll but others I cannot. Problem goes away if I shut down X-mouse.

You may recall I was having issues before but I am now using a new mouse for about 3 months. I've not had any issues up until now.

I will create a log when the issue next arises.

Wayne
WayHow47

Post by WayHow47 »

Hello Phil,

Attached is my log as I try to find solution to my lost ability to scroll in Chrome. I did see one warning: Warning: Low Level Hook Timeout is low. If you have problems try increaing this value. I tried increasing from 200 to 300 and it did not make a difference.'

Thanks,

Wayne
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I'm a little confused, was debug logging enabled when you had the problem, because it looks like you turned it on, but then there were more sessions where it was off.

Debug logging only stays enabled until you restart XMBC so maybe you turned it on but the problem didn't happen until it had been restarted???

For future reference, you can always setup a global hotkey (settings) to toggle debug logging on/off so when the problem occurs, you can turn on debug logging, reproduce, then turn it off again.

What is interesting in the log, for chrome, it looks like its redirecting the scroll message so a strange window
02-05-2016 18:11:25.0609> Redirecting vertical wheel message 0xFF880000 to 0x00010A54: 'Intermediate D3D Window'

The problem is, I don't know if it was working or not working at that time... It would be useful for you to indicate roughly what time the problem occurred so I can align the log entries to that :).

I presume you don't have a profile specifically for chrome?
Have you tried changing the setting "Scroll Window under cursor" because that might be having an effect. If it is, you can disable that option for chome only by creating a profile for chrome.exe and disabling scroll window under cursor on the scrolling and navigation tab for that profile.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Here is 2.13 Beta 12.

If you have check for beta versions enabled, you should get notified of a new version and prompted to update in the next day or so. This is the most efficient method (bandwidth wise) as the updates are only a fraction of the size of the full install. Otherwise, you can get the full installation beta HERE. Note that this link will always get you the latest beta version!

Changes since v2.13 Beta 11:
  • #375 - Scroll window under cursor not working on different DPI (esp. under remote desktop on Win10)
There are no new translations in 2.13 beta 12
Any problems, PM me a copy of the log file (or post a snippet in a code block here).

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Well Beta 12 did last long - it turned out that the DPI issue was actually caused by the change to VS2015 in Bet 11 - and the proper fix was to sort that out rather than try and code around it (which didn't work properly).

Here is 2.13 Beta 13.

If you have check for beta versions enabled, you should get notified of a new version and prompted to update in the next day or so. This is the most efficient method (bandwidth wise) as the updates are only a fraction of the size of the full install. Otherwise, you can get the full installation beta HERE. Note that this link will always get you the latest beta version!

Changes since v2.13 Beta 12:
  • #375 - Re-fixed scroll window under cursor broken by VS2015 upgrade (#374)
There are no new translations in 2.13 beta 13
Any problems, PM me a copy of the log file (or post a snippet in a code block here).

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
WayHow47

Re: XMBC 2.13 Beta - Chrome

Post by WayHow47 »

Hello Phil,

I solved the problem I was having with Chrome by creating a new profile for Chrome and choosing Disable Scroll Window Under Cursor as you suggested. It didn't work at first so I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and then creating a new profile and rebooted. I suspect that it didn't work the first time since I did not reboot (not because of the reinstall).

In any case it seems like my issue was resolved and I am happy as a clam! Thank you! I'm thinking that Chrome recently added a new column with active videos on the right side of the screen and I think that may have been confusing my mouse response.

Thanks again for your help,

Wayne
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Hi All,

Just a note to say I hope to release v2.13 sometime this week. 2.13 beta 13 so far has been stable for me. If anyone has any remaining issues or comments, please let me know so I can decide how to proceed.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
testfire
New User

Post by testfire »

phil wrote: If anyone has any remaining issues or comments, please let me know so I can decide how to proceed.
Hello! Well, not intended to spoil your fun, but… :D
I recalled occasional freezes. Very unsystematic ones, unfortunately. They started to happen after about last October(?), I think, definitely after upgrading to early new betas.

The case: Happens at a seemingly absolute random time, with or without user activity/presence, no obvious events/reasons/triggers. OS (W7-64) suddenly becomes almost completely unresponsive, with only very rare frame refreshes (about 1 frame in 10-20 sec) and reports of X-Mouse crash with a common window with 3 button choices, which (instead of manual and dead-slow movement and aiming with a mouse), fortunately, can be activated with a space or enter. After this everything instantly comes to normal state. Unfortunately, since OS comes to a real screeching stop, I cannot tell anything else useful, unfortunately. :( Even CPU/IO/Memory load is non-observable — all monitors just hang in there and continue drawing their graphs like nothing happened.

Again, it happened quite unfrequently and only about 5-6 times in total, so I don't want to delay new release since nobody had anything similar (from what I saw on forums, may be wrong on that) in the last year.
----
Not related to above, but I recalled another question not worthy a separate post. :D
There is a nice launcher software — WSCC http://www.kls-soft.com/wscc/ with two scrollable lists, left is for selecting categories, right is for viewing filtered items. The problem is — trying hovering a mouse cursor above and scrolling does not work! Only one list is actively scrolling, as if the option "…scroll window under cursor" was not active.
Could you explain, what is the cause of this, forms' custom policy or non-standard implementation or something else entirely?

Thank you!
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Well, this is certainly the first Ive heard of anything like this, and I struggle to see how XMBC could reduce frame rate. Is there anything of note in the log file?

I don't expect this will hold up my release plans, simply because as you say, it does not appear to be a common issue.

As for the second question, I'm not familiar with the application so I don't really know. My assumption would be that the mouse wheel messages are handled by the window rather than passed to the list under the cursor. I would have to have a look and see if I can reproduce this in order to answer more fully - maybe I will get some time to have a look this weekend!
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK I have released 2.13.

Thanks for all the help guys. I wonder how long we can keep a clean 2.13 release this time (before having to go to 2.13.1 - fingers crossed!

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
testfire
New User

Post by testfire »

phil wrote:I struggle to see how XMBC could reduce frame rate.
I must have been not quite correct with my words — I meant to describe the state of OS GUI which is "almost freeze". I think that the most close to that will happen if you run some heavy burner, something like 7zip benchmark/prime calculation two times per number of CPU cores simultaneously AND with realtime priority. Well, you get the idea. :D
phil wrote:the wrong Is there anything of note in the log file?
Unfortunately, no. But AFAIR I did check for somethink back then in last year and found nothing of interest. But there was no debug built-in at that time, I think. But If this happens again, I'll definitely show you that log.
phil wrote: I would have to have a look and see if I can reproduce this in order to answer more fully - maybe I will get some time to have a look this weekend!
Thank you, will wait for the results.

Cheers! :)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK Regarding WSCC, it looks like the right list is not responding to mouse wheel scroll messages unless it has focus (you have clicked on it). I have found that if you setup a profile for the list window, and change its scroll method to Method 1, it works.

Try the attached profile and let me know if it works for you:
WSCC Right List.xmbcs
Thanks,
Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--[ Phil ]--
testfire
New User

Post by testfire »

phil wrote:I have found that if you setup a profile for the list window, and change its scroll method to Method 1, it works.
Try the attached profile and let me know if it works for you:
Darn it, I always forget about that wonferful feature! :D Almost every day I adjust sound volume by hovering and scrolling mouse over collapse tray button, it feels so natural now! :D
So, upon seeing that attachment I decided to simply go and setup another profle by myself. At first I did an explicit call to that list and it did the job, but later I decided to go wild and experiment. So after some playing with wildcards in class fields I cleared everything but the program's name and started to switch methods. One method (I don't remember which one) did scroll only one of the list/text fields, another did the opposite. :D But in the end "WPF ScrollMsg" method did a perfect job, fortunately.
So, another couple of questions:
1) WPF has, obviously, a strong presence in desktop software. Since I've never used any other method apart from first one, perhaps "WPF ScrollMsg" is better up to the second place in that list?
2) I totally understand why it can be undesirable, but… Could you make some testing/research on purpose of making up some kind of "smart" scroll detection engine? So in most basic cases (of properly coded software, of course) there will be no need to switch from default method at all?

Cheers!
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

In general cases, with properly coded software there is already no need to change from default!!!!

The problem is that when "scroll window under cursor" is turned on, XMBC redirects the scroll message and instead sends it directly to the window under the mouse cursor. This window may not be designed to handle that message (maybe its parent window or even child window handles it) thus the window does not behave as expected. That is why the profile support is there, to override the defaults.

If it transpires that too many overrides of the defaults are required, then I can add code into XMBC that recognises this, but unfortunately it is pretty much impossible for XMBC itself to detect what to use. The only thing it could go on are class names - and as you can see, they are pretty random.

There is already quite a lot of "specifics" code in the XMBC "default" for known applications. But unfortunately, its not easy to be generic, other than most software works without having to do anything special! The whole point about the profiles and ability to change it is in rare occasions, the default does not work because the software is doing something strange!

The WPFScrollign "simply" tells XMBC that instead of sending to the window under the cursor, send to its parent (I think) window. And actually I dont think WPF does have all that that big a presence in Windows desktop yet. Its going in that direction though. And just because something is written in WPF does not mean that it wont respect the mouse scrolling - it depends on the architecture.

So I dont think there is much more I can do other than provide as much flexibility as possible!

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--