OneNote 2016 - select stuck

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
ariuskooo
New User

OneNote 2016 - select stuck

Post by ariuskooo »

Hi I am having a problem with OneNote 2016, every time I select something my left mouse button act as it was stuck down. Ony way I know of to unstuck it, is to alt+tab to another application and back, or select using the keyboard. Any ideas?
(I could make a video if the description is not enough)
Thanks
ariuskooo
New User

Re: OneNote 2016 - select stuck

Post by ariuskooo »

Ok nevermind, I've had left mouse button to left mouse button... strange that it only makes problems in OneNote...
Anyway, I am leaving this here, as someone might have this same problem.
flebas
New User

Post by flebas »

Hello,

I have the same problem. OneNote 2016 on W7 64bit. X-Mouse 2.12.1

My X-Mouse settings are for using a Kensington Expert Mouse trackball with left hand :
Layer 1 : Left button : right click, Right button: left click
Scrolling & navigation : Invert mouse wheel scrolling

Any idea ?
Thanks
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Looks like there may be some issue send simulated buttons. Have you tried the swap mouse buttons instead of assigning left to right and visa-versa?
Check the scrolling and navigation tab, or general setting (it uses the built in windows swap buttons which is always going to be more reliable that XMBC sending the remapped input.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
farbul
New User

Post by farbul »

Hello,
I just stumbled across this problem myself and since i did not find any solution, i am reopening this old thread.
When xmb is disabled (scroll-lock) it works, and when it is enabled and either offolowing mappings is done, it is stuck in "select mode":
- left button is mapped to right click, right button is mapped to left click
- left button is mapped to left click, right button is mapped to right click
This is a problem since i need remaping of buttons because of remote connections that use same mouse layout as host computer.
Is there any solution in sight for this? Thank you.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I never looked into it as its not a problem when using "swap left and right" only when changing the mappings in XMBC. I guess in your remote desktop situation, you cant just use the swap left and right?!

I'll try and have to have a look to see if there is anything obvious I can do to prevent this problem (at least I have onenote 2016!), but XMBC is only using standard windows APIs to simulate the buttons, so there may not be much I can do (as in it may be a onenote problem with simulated input and if that is the case, it will require a fix from MS (not much chance of that!)).
--[ Phil ]--
farbul
New User

Post by farbul »

Exactly. If i "swap left and right", main button becomes right, but in remote desktop it is still left, so quite confusing to operate that way. If i swap them through xmb, remote buttons are the same as on host computer.

Thank you for looking into it.
I just looked for alternate solutions, and for button swapping i found it in "Moure". It swaps buttons for specific device (which is usefull in case of laptop), and xmb can work from there onward. Additional benefit is that click on scroll wheel works as double-click again which i did not realize stopped working when i remapped left/right buttons in xmb.
I do not know if this can be usefull for xmb or if it can be implemented/improved, but just thought i should share my find.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Unfortunatly, although I can reproduce this, I can not for the life of me figure out why OneNote is doing this.
I have tried several different things with no success...

Ive also seen others reporting such problems in the autohotkey forums, where onenote behaves badly with simulated input.
I had a quick look at Moure - and its a kernel mouse filter driver - ie it operates at a much lower level than XMBC.
I have always tried to stay away from drivers due to the complexity and signing requirements - but it could be interesting to look at, especially if the filter driver does not need to be signed (if it does that rules me out because driver signing is not cheap and more to the point, an individual cant purchase a driver signing certificate!). But Moure is open source so I'd be surprised if its signed - hence maybe signing is not required for filter drivers.
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Moure uses a signed kernel mode driver to swap the buttons. Whilst the source code is published on github, a kernel driver requires driver code signing certificates which are a) very expensive and b) not available to individuals (only registered companies) so I think that idea is off the table. At least Moure is a workaround for you - but I think that is as good as it is going to get I'm afraid.
--[ Phil ]--
farbul
New User

Post by farbul »

Pity it is dead end for your implementation. :(
Thank you for looking into it though.

I will use one with the other for now as it seems they do the job well together. :)
aawood
New User

Post by aawood »

I knew this thread's not been updated in a while, but just wanted to thank you all for it. I've been having the same issues with OneNote and thanks to you, was able to solve it just by setting left click to "don't intercept" (rather than left click). Cheers all!