When XMouse opens, it CTRL + ALT + DEL's, what gives???

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
ebaydan777
New User

When XMouse opens, it CTRL + ALT + DEL's, what gives???

Post by ebaydan777 »

So what gives??

I have two pc's and installed the latest version on both to disable my mouse button 4 in chrome.

But anytime I turn my PC on and XMouse loads (and yes it is XMouse because I uninstalled it and it didn't happen again, reinstalled and it was back).

You know in Windows 10 and other versions if you CTRL+ALT+DEL twice it takes you to a full screen where you can lock screen put computer to sleep, task manager, shut down etc.

Why is it doing this and how can I stop it.
Thanks!
phil
Site Admin

Re: When XMouse opens, it CTRL + ALT + DEL's, what gives???

Post by phil »

Ever heard of searching?
https://forums.highrez.co.uk/viewtopic. ... +del#p9143

Unfortunately I still have no idea whats causing this. There is no code to intentionally do any CTRL+ALT+DEL and I haven't been able to reproduce it here at all :(

So I cant really offer any suggestions right now :(
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
ebaydan777
New User

Post by ebaydan777 »

yes i have heard of searching..

My problem has nothing to do with XBMC. It has to do with Windows 10 as this is literally a fresh install with almost nothing on it. SO.....its something to do with Windows. I dont even have XBMC on here or anything to do with it like the other thread mentions....
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK now I am confused, you say it has nothing to do with XMBC but the previous post said
But anytime I turn my PC on and XMouse loads (and yes it is XMouse because I uninstalled it and it didn't happen again, reinstalled and it was back).
As the other thread states, this has happened to 3 (or 4) other people but I have been unable to reproduce it on any of my Windows 10 PC's, and also one of the users who had the problem fixed it "simply" by reinstalling windows. So I suspect you are right that its something in Windows, but I don't have an answer as to why.

Strangely one user has reported this happening with Windows 7 too (which is stranger still because XMBC and Windows 7 have been happy together since it was released).

I wish I knew why it happened but right now I don't.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
SmashedAtoms
New User

Post by SmashedAtoms »

This happens to me as well. Running Windows 7 Enterprise and XMBC - installed to gain control of left/right tilt on mouse wheel, as Microsoft hasn't done anything about it (and it's a Microsoft mouse, for crying out loud).

I log in to Windows and it immediately sends a CTRL, ALT, DEL and I'm suddenly at the screen with options (to lock windows, reset my password, etc.)

I uninstall XMBC and the problem does not happen. I install it again, and it's back. I'd rather have the tilt functionality, so it's just something I'm living with. However, for your notes and what not, I wanted to report to you that I have the same issue with it on Windows 7.

Thanks
BarryTikkanen
New User

Post by BarryTikkanen »

I was also experiencing this CTRL+ALT+DEL issue on two PCs. I did find a few things that might clear up the issue for some.

While I did have the issue on two extremely different PC hardware configurations, both are running Windows 10 x64. I had the unfortunate circumstance of needing to unexpectedly reinstall one of the two PCs. Following the re-installation of Windows 10, the CTRL+ALT+DEL issue was no longer present.

On the remaining PC the problem remained, but I was unable to find any difference in the configurations of XMBC. I tried reinstalling XMBC on the affected PC, with no luck. I tried debugging but the logs showed the same on both PCs.

I then turned to the Windows Event log and found the following error visible in the affected PC.

Code: Select all

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
 and APPID 
{9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
 to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
I found a fix for this error by searching against "The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160} and APPID {9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}"

Unfortunately, the CTRL+ALT+DEL issue still persisted, but now without an Event Log error to accompany the on screen action. I then uninstalled XMBC, and downloaded the portable version of XMBC. I extracted the x64 folder and renamed the folder to X-Mouse and then moved the folder to the root of C: drive. I then created a shortcut for the executable and placed the shortcut in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp

I then tested the {LWIN}X {RWIN}X {ALT}{TAB} Simulated keys without any problems, as the FAQ for portable stated there might be a problem with these types of combos. At least in my instance the key combos are working with portable XMBC in Windows 10 x64.

Hopefully this helps.
throwaway0
New User

Post by throwaway0 »

THANK YOU. Portable version + startup folder shortcut works perfectly.
I used the user profile one, not global (didn't want to bother with permissions reset)

C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

This was driving me a little nuts. Finally, a solution to a problem I've long had (this software), only to run into this bug. It also did something else - slowed mouse speed to slowest setting. Took a second, then with program setting override, usually came back to normal.
Portable app has none of these problems.

I have no idea, but suspect it's due to hardware. Zero issues on a desktop. Then again, Windows 10 does a lot of things strangely. Combine with laptop hardware, and whatever else is starting up (I've seen HP soft/bloat-ware do very, very weird things to what is otherwise "standard" software), anyone's guess as to the problem. Stock laptop here. There's still some HP software, and even though it isn't running on startup, I believe a few services still do, which may have hooks back into some other things.

Anyway, now I can use RDP without needing to either use right click, or flipping mouse settings constantly.
I use a "left handed" mouse setup, except, not on a laptop. Should've sought this out long ago. Previous laptops were easier to just deal with it.
Now I can simply run this software, and with RDP, it's fantastic. Why on earth MS enables "reverse mouse buttons" on Mac, Android, iOS, but not their own Windows client is beyond me. Sending donation.

Thanks for a great little program. Thank you also, BarryTikkanen for suggesting the portable app for a solution to this issue. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I have found the problem!

Thanks to a friendly user who let me have a remote debug session.... One function I was calling, which I thought checked if the application had permissions to run as an accessibility tool, actually caused this screen to come up - my mistake (I dont understand why this problem does not happen to everyone, including me!).

I have removed the call and everything appears to be normal.

2.17 Beta 2 has the fix.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
Tryzen
New User

Post by Tryzen »

throwaway0 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:40 am THANK YOU. Portable version + startup folder shortcut works perfectly.
I used the user profile one, not global (didn't want to bother with permissions reset)

C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

This was driving me a little nuts. Finally, a solution to a problem I've long had (this software), only to run into this bug. It also did something else - slowed mouse speed to slowest setting. Took a second, then with program setting override, usually came back to normal.
Portable app has none of these problems.

I have no idea, but suspect it's due to hardware. Zero issues on a desktop. Then again, Windows 10 does a lot of things strangely. Combine with laptop hardware, and whatever else is starting up (I've seen HP soft/bloat-ware do very, very weird things to what is otherwise "standard" software), anyone's guess as to the problem. Stock laptop here. There's still some HP software, and even though it isn't running on startup, I believe a few services still do, which may have hooks back into some other things.

Anyway, now I can use RDP without needing to either use right click, or flipping mouse settings constantly.
I use a "left handed" mouse setup, except, not on a laptop. Should've sought this out long ago. Previous laptops were easier to just deal with it.
Now I can simply run this software, and with RDP, it's fantastic. Why on earth MS enables "reverse mouse buttons" on Mac, Android, iOS, but not their own Windows client is beyond me. Sending donation.

Thanks for a great little program. Thank you also, BarryTikkanen for suggesting the portable app for a solution to this issue. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
I have the same problem. It started a couple of weeks ago. I've done all of the remedies above with no improvement.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Sorry, but you have just re-opened a 4 year old thread - with very little to go on.
The previous problem was fixed, four years ago, in 2.17. You haven't said what version your running but I'd e very surprised if its 2.16?
--[ Phil ]--
Tryzen
New User

Post by Tryzen »

phil wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:02 pm Sorry, but you have just re-opened a 4 year old thread - with very little to go on.
The previous problem was fixed, four years ago, in 2.17. You haven't said what version your running but I'd e very surprised if its 2.16?
Sorry about that and thank you for your reply but my version also is 2.17. :(
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Well firstly it should be fixed in 2.17 - but why are you not using 2.19 - and does it still happen in 2.19?
--[ Phil ]--