What mice work with XMBC?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
boskar

Re: What mice work with XMBC?

Post by boskar »

I'm using relatively cheap A4Tech evolution Glaser 70D - USB, @Windows Server 2003 and Debian Linux
4 and 5 buttons work, the 6th, "office button" is ofc unsupported - A4Tech provide support tool which permit to bind it, but it's much less powerful then XMBC. (Sometimes under Windows I use both - In A4tech I set up "don't intercept" mode for 1,2,3,4,5 button, and something useful for the 6th).

What is quite interesting, under Linux this 6th button is triggering some X event, with generic driver, so it might be not so difficult to capture it.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

With linux, its realitvle easy to work at a low level, closer to the driver.. Thats not so easy in Windows.
If the default driver does not recognise the button, then your out of luck.

There is a mouse called an Office Mouse that has a 6th button that works by sending a middle mouse button message with a special code in the message data. XMBC has been made to work with this - its called "Office mouse" mode. Its not available in the GUI, because it does not support tilt etc, but Office mouse mode can be turned on by editing the XML config file or by specifying a command line switch. But be aware that this proably wont work for anything but the specific odffice mouse it was designed for.

Take a look in the XML - the option should be failry obvious, just set <OfficeMouse Enable="true"/>

If it works, then all good - let me know. If not then dont expect a quick solution.
Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
boskar

Post by boskar »

I've just tested the "office mode" - unfortunately it does not work with my A4Tech mouse. :(
VID:09DA PID:000A

If you have any idea how can I help to improve this mode - just write.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Sorry, but I have to say I expected it.

Giveing me the VID/PID emphasises my point. Thats pretty much driver lelve stuff. XMBC operates at the user level and only sees the messages that the window driver and windows message system reveals. Without writing a driver, I dont think its going to be possible - and drivers are beyond my relm of experience I'm afraid.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
boskar

Post by boskar »

I also expected it, don't worry ;)

I also understand that writing mouse drivers is not the way You want to spend your free time ;)

If I could add just another idea to the endless wishlist: Maybe I'm wrong, but it might be much easier to catch the events with vendor provided software, and "redirect" them to XMBC in some way - for example set up a keystroke in mouse vendor software, catch it with XMBC - and permit it to be configured as any other mouse button. But you know, It's just an idea ;)

I've just looked around the drivers - Vendor Software comes with the driver - Amfilter.sys and Amusbprt.sys, on the other box I didn't even installed it (XMBC was sufficient).

XMBC supports my mouse with both drivers (1-5 and wheel up/down).
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

XMBC is not a driver, and I dont know how to write drivers (well I have some idea but Ive never actually tried doing it). As for vendor software, I am not intending to make XMBC work with every piece of vendor software out there (there are soooooo many - and of course they are all different, so that sounds like hell). You might be better off trying (I think its called) Hydra mouse? It claims to be the only software that works with ll buttons, but I think it relies on vendor software alot.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
oligator
New User

Post by oligator »

Wintech CM-6029 - an affordable/cheap mouse which learns all the tricks thanks to this WONDERFUL software.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! :D
Dwarden
New User

Post by Dwarden »

it's really shame there is no free / opensource / microsoft driver which sort of 'standard' way supports more than 5 buttons ...

i use this software with several older mouses and i can say it's really helpful and would be even more if it could use 5+ buttons w/o special drivers (if mouse needs it)...
SquishyDeadFrog
New User

Post by SquishyDeadFrog »

I downloaded this to try with a Microsoft Mobile Mouse 4000. It works for the buttons, but doesn't detect the mouse wheel tilt left/right which is the only thing I want to remap. Why can't Microsoft do things in a standard way...
m2200
New User

Post by m2200 »

SquishyDeadFrog wrote:I downloaded this to try with a Microsoft Mobile Mouse 4000. It works for the buttons, but doesn't detect the mouse wheel tilt left/right which is the only thing I want to remap. Why can't Microsoft do things in a standard way...
have you windows 7 or Vista? on that s.o. my MS wireless 2000 work, and work tilt wheel remap

under XP no tilt wheel, is a problem of the s.o.
waraw
New User

Post by waraw »

The Logitech Trackman Marble does work with XMBC, as long as you run Logitech's SetPoint software and tell it to treat button 4 as "generic button." Out of the box this is set as "Universal Scroll" but by changing this, XMBC works just fine. Thanks for the great app!
Davidc
New User

Post by Davidc »

I just took delivery of a fine Gigabyte M8000x gaming mouse that I wanted to run with x-mouse. Unfortunately the tilt wheel isn't recognized though everything else is. In Firefox and IE the tilt wheel scrolls horizontally just like my Logitech 5 button so it's not clear what the problem might be. The problem exists with and without the Gigabyte Ghost software installed. The mouse, through programmable through on board firmware, is running with default settings and nothing programmed. Any ideas where the problem might lie?

David
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

You are running Vista or later right (otherwise the scroll will never work in XMBC)?
Presumably the horizontal scroll is not sending the standard windows WM_HSCROLLWHEEL messages - but as to why - I don't know. Does the horizontal scroll work in windows explorer/ie without the mouse's own software installed?

Other than that, no ideas - I'm completely unfamiliar with this device - I didn't even know Gigabyte made mice!

Thanks,
--[ Phil ]--
Davidc
New User

Post by Davidc »

Hi Phil,

Yes I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate.

I think I've figured out what's going wrong. The horizontal scroll works in IE and firefox ONLY when the Ghost control software loads something called tilt.exe. This must translate whatever native codes the mouse is sending to the proper values but it's not being picked up by X-mouse. Pity, it's a slick piece of hardware.

David
meruhl
New User

Post by meruhl »

Works great with my BFG Sniper Boomslang 2100. Thanks!