What mice work with XMBC?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
sirverik
New User

Re: What mice work with XMBC?

Post by sirverik »

I have an uncommon mouse made by a mexican company called acteck, it is a 6 button mouse and the first 5 buttons work perfectly under your progam and the sixth button seems to activate both the middle button and button 4 at the same time, so maybe there is a way to assign an independent action to this button by adding a feature that can combine simultaneous clicks int oa completely different action. I have no diea if this is possible but it would be a ncie feature to add if it is not such a complicated matter.
CaptainCode
New User

Post by CaptainCode »

I too am running the Kensington optical trackball, (K64325) on Vista Ultimate. The left click and the right click buttons, and the scroll ring, all function properly. The right front button, which appears to correlate with "Mouse button 4", can be programmed as a "Right Click-Drag" which is what I want for it. The problem is with the left front button, which I want to function as a "Left Click-Drag". Programming this functionality to either the "Middle button" or to the "Mouse button 5" does not work. Instead, on touching the left front trackball button, all open windows: 1) duplicate themselves, and those duplicates 2) shrink, and 3) reorient themselves by pivoting on their left edges so as to appear to be viewed at a 30 degree angle. Retouching the button changes the order of the tilted windows by placing the formerly rightmost window all the way to the left and advancing the other windows righward one position at a time. Touching the front left button concels this effect, and restores the normal windows appearance. How can I get this button to work the work the way I want? Does the tilted window effect correspond to the "Flip 3D *Vista Only*" function itemized in the program command list available for the various buttons?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

It certainly sounds like Flip 3D... Verify this by trying the Windows key and Tab to activate Flip 3d and see if it looks the same!

Are you saying that you get Flip 3D instead of left drag click? I cant reproduce that here. Maybe the mouse driver is doing this and not XMBC? If you exit XMBC so it is not running, what does the button do?

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

sirverik wrote:I have an uncommon mouse made by a mexican company called acteck, it is a 6 button mouse and the first 5 buttons work perfectly under your progam and the sixth button seems to activate both the middle button and button 4 at the same time, so maybe there is a way to assign an independent action to this button by adding a feature that can combine simultaneous clicks int oa completely different action. I have no diea if this is possible but it would be a ncie feature to add if it is not such a complicated matter.
Without having access to the hardware, its pretty much impossible to implement hardware specific functions. It is possible the 6th button sends some extra data that can be interpreted, but recognising dual clicks alone is not easy right now, because windows does not send a single message saying "two buttons are pressed" but two messages, one for each button, and therefore its not so easy (without adding complexity and potential delays and errors) to tell if it is genuinely two buttons or a combination.

This is really the job of the mouse driver which runs at a completely different priority where it can make such decisions much more reliably.
--[ Phil ]--
CaptainCode
New User

Post by CaptainCode »

OK, it is indeed Flip 3D. I'm new to Vista, so I wasn't aware of this functionality. If I disable XMBC, that button (rear left) behaves the same as when XMBC is fully functional. I get Flip 3D even with all mouse buttons not otherwise assigned configured as Left Click-Drag.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK, That suggests to me that the mouse driver itself is translating that function to Flip3D (unless you have any other button configuration programs installed, maybe that came with the mouse?) - which I think means that it is not one of the 5 "standard" mouse buttons that can be configured with XMBC.

How many buttons are there in total on this device?

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
CaptainCode
New User

Post by CaptainCode »

The Kensington trackball has a scroll ring around the trackball itself, with a left and right button at the front left and front right of the trackball respectively, and a rear left and rear right button to the rear left and rear right respectively. Put another way, the trackball sits in the middle of a basically square receptacle with a knurled circular ring (the scrolling device) around the trackball. Then there is a button at 2:00 (right rear), 4:00 (right front), 8:00 (left front) and 10:00 (left rear). Kensington has excellent software for this device, "Expert Mouse", but the last upgrade only supports Windows XP (and previous) and it is not a 64 bit program. XMBC has been recommended as a work around, and I agree. I just wish I could get the rear left button to be governed by the programming choices in the XMBC software. I completely rely on this trackball to make the very fine movements I need when running my graphics software.
CaptainCode
New User

Post by CaptainCode »

I now have proper function on my Kensington trackball, and the fix may be interesting. These trackballs are USB devices by default, but they come with a USB-to-PS2 adapter plug. I was using the PS2 connection for the trackball. Just to see what would happen, I reconfigured the trackball to a USB connection. Voila! Now all the buttons work as programmed. Comments?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Ahhh that is not actually all the surprising. The USB HID mouse driver is almost certainly much newer and therefore is more likely to have built in support for the basic 5 buttons mouse. Maybe the default PS2 driver does not have this advanced function without a custom driver from the manufacturer.

Glad you have got going :)

Phil
--[ Phil ]--
mrstab
New User

Post by mrstab »

Work Computer - XP 64 Kensington Expert Mouse - All 4 buttons working and programmable.

Thank you so much for that!

I have XP 32 on my home computer and using the Kensington software to program the trackball buttons... any chance of XMBC being programmed to allow for 2 button functionality similarly to the Kensington software?

Chris
RedSaint
New User

Post by RedSaint »

A few days ago I installed Windows Vista for the first time. But! My Logitech MX-300 isn't supported by the SetPoint software - not even with ÃœberOptions installed :(
So I was pretty much screwed at that point - Until my long and dedicated Google search pointed my in this direction. Now I can disable the default "Back/Previous" action the mouse button 4 is sat to, and I'm free to remap it as well :D Unfortunately not to Scroll Lock as I had hoped, but it's good enough.
AlexV
New User

Post by AlexV »

Another happy Kensington Expert Mouse (4 button, trackball) user here. Win XP, 32 bit.

The Kensington MouseWorks software (6.1 or 6.2) causes access violation exceptions when running WinForms (.net) applications, which makes it useless. I wonder if they even *have* a QA department?

This software replaces it entirely, thanks very much!

I wonder, has anyone tried it with the new Slimblade trackball from Kensington? Reviews I read suggested that the hardware was nice, but the driver software unusable.
RngrHawk
New User

Post by RngrHawk »

Is there any reason why its not working (at all) with a Logitech MX 500 on Windows 7? It used to work on Vista with an older version (not sure what version). Is it a Windows 7 thing?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

No its not likely a Windows 7 thing - its working well for me on Windows 7 with my logitech and MS mice.
Ive tried it on 4 different Windows 7 RTM (Pro and Ultimate) machines in both x64 and x86. No problems so far on any of them :)

What are the symptoms, does it load? Try enabling debug logging and see if there is anything in the log of interest.

Other than that, I dont know what to suggest.

EDIT: Have you got setpoint installed? If not, what mouse driver are you using?

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
Lost1
New User

Post by Lost1 »

I have not SetPoint installed and my Logitech V470 Bluetooth mouse works great with Win 7 Ultimate x86.
All buttons are functioning, not like in Win XP.

Thanks for the program!