REQ: Reorder profile list (plus minor 'bug' report)

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Hoggy
New User

REQ: Reorder profile list (plus minor 'bug' report)

Post by Hoggy »

Hi, I just discovered this little gem. And for the time being have unistalled Logitech Setpoint and MS Inteli-whatever. (I use 3 mice due to a disability.) Miss those extra buttons big time, but have read the FAQ - so I may reinstall those later under a more limited function if I can. I noticed my system was faster after uninstalling that bloatware.

However, it would be wonderful if one could reorder the profile list to keep things tidy as I add new windows or portions of windows to its list. Plus that just makes it really confusing for those of us with cognition/memory issues.

As to the 'bug' report, I've discovered that XMBC will crash with a 'has stopped working' prompt from Windows 7 if it can't find the profile directory. I tried going from v2.7 to v2.8b6, but it didn't resovle it. ..... I had it set to a shared directory for multiple computers and sometimes the mapped drives don't get 'recognized' right away - even if the mapped drive is a local disk directory, apparently - go figure. :) I ended up setting it to a local drive to stop it from happening (seeing as how I'm dismantling my client/server-type setup right now anyways.)

Thanks,
Brian
phil
Site Admin

Re: REQ: Reorder profile list (plus minor 'bug' report)

Post by phil »

I'll see what I can do. the profiles get searched in the order they are displayed, so if you had two with different window name or different parent classes, the order can become important, so sorting alphabetically may not be sufficient.

Having said that with the new profile search in 2.8b it may not matter quite so much.

Are you talking about alphabetical sort or manually re-ordering with and up/down type control?

As for the bug, I can stop the crash, but if the profile cant be loaded there is not much point continuing... Unless it sits and retries a few times maybe?

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Hoggy
New User

Post by Hoggy »

As to the 'bug', maybe throw up a message stating that the settings weren't found.. It took me a fair while to narrow down what was actually happening. Retrying a few times would be helpful for anyone putting the config on a mapped network drive like I was.. However, definitely throw up something saying that the config wasn't found so one knows exactly what's going on.

For the rest, I don't know what you mean by profile searching (using 2.8b6 here). Although I am quite new to this program, so...
But yeah - I mean be able to re-order them manually, as in up/down on the list. Especially if it's as you say where order can be important - I didn't fully know that mattered until now. And I have several that operate on different windows in the same program. Or at least I've been trying to get it to do that.

Thanks.
luke9
New User

Post by luke9 »

Hello, and thanks for XMBC, can't imagine computing without it (I actually consider it as a "driver", and on fresh OS installs, it gets installed right after audio & video drivers, that's how great I think it is :D OK, sorry for digressing, back on topic now...)!

I welcome the addition of up/down controls for manually sorting the list of application profiles, but I have a long list that requires scrolling and quickly finding a specific profile for editing is difficult. I think an alphabetical sorting control would help with this a lot.

I'm thinking it could be implemented as a check box in settings or even in the main window:
(1) checked = existing profiles are sorted alphabetically, new profiles get placed in the right alphabetical order when created, up/down buttons grayed out
(2) unchecked = current state, manual sorting possible via up/down buttons.

What do you think?

Thanks!