OneNote Page list won't scroll

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
dpreussII
New User

OneNote Page list won't scroll

Post by dpreussII »

First off, I love your product, thanks so much, it affects my entire computing experience!

OK, in Microsoft OneNote, in both version 2010 and 2013 (and likely earlier versions), in both 32 and 64 bit versions, once you enable the "make scroll wheel scroll window under cursor" check box in X-Mouse, this particular column, typically located down the right hand side of the window, and contains the list of pages in a given section, which natively does scroll vertically when the mouse hovers over it, no longer does.
I've found this to be true using several different machines, all running Windows 7 or 8, 64 bit or 32 bit.
If I uncheck the "make scroll wheel scroll window under cursor" check box, then of course none of my other applications scroll but this column sure does. Check the above box and now only this column refuses to scroll.

I can't find a registry value associated w/ it, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.
My OneNote Layout is as such, it's typical: notebooks and sections down left column, sections across the top, and pages down the right column, active page smack in the middle of it all. With the above mentioned check box checked both the left column and active page scroll but the page column on the right does not. With the above mentioned check box unchecked everything in OneNote scrolls fine (but then I lose the use of this main feature of X-Mouse all together in all my other applications.) You get the idea.

When I create a profile in X-Mouse (V2.6) and use the "Specific Window" dialog, and opt for the hover feature, and hover over the page list column in OneNote (the column that won't scroll) this is what populates:
Handle 0x0003053A
Process onenote.exe
Class NetUIHWHD
Parent Class OneNote:NavigationUIHost

For the profile settings using the above specific window capture to set the profile, and alternatively creating a profile for OneNote.exe in general, and in ea (at separate times), for the scroll wheel value, I've put **No Change (Don't intercept)** and this didn't help the issue.

Is there a way to toggle the primary global setting of the "make scroll wheel scroll window under cursor" check box for just one application as such? Could you add that setting to be toggled in individual profiles rather than having it a global setting? (Even if this were possible I don't even know if it would work but I think it would.)

Or do you have any other suggestions? This is the only application out of all that I run (and I run quite a variety) that is negatively impacted by using X-mouse, it also happens to be one of the applications I depend on for all my computing.

Thanks for your time,
David
phil
Site Admin

Re: OneNote Page list won't scroll

Post by phil »

The main suggestion would be to try different scroll methods on the scrolling and navigation tab for the onenote profile. Its not possible to toggle the scroll window under cursor option based on profile right now - not sure if it will be possible to add/change.

If the scroll method does not help I will take a look later today

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
dpreussII
New User

Post by dpreussII »

Hi Phil,
Thanks a ton for your reply. I've now tried every setting on the X-Mouse scroll options for the OneNote profile with no noticeable difference between them. I hadn't seen the settings previously, and was hoping that the None (Disable Scroll) would rectify the situation, but it didn't. Let me know if you need any other details on my methodology or system configuration.
I appreciate your time,

Thanks,
David
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Firstly, None (disable scroll) swallows all scroll massages so it certainly wont help :)
I will have to fire up onenote (I have 2010 on here and 2013 on laptop) and test it.

I#m sure someone at work had simular issues and I was able to work around it.
I'll let you know what I find.

right now I'm frantically trying to fix all the little bugs in v2.6 (this I released yesterday) that no one found during beta testing!

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Well you will be pleased to know I have reproduced it, and fixed it :)
The next release (coming shortly) should work.

The scroll messages need to be sent to the parent of the window. At some point, I should add that as a "scrolling method" but thats a significant chance so right now, its will be a hard coded fix for that specific window.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
dpreussII
New User

Post by dpreussII »

Phil,
Thanks so much not only for the great program but also for your diligence all the way around.
I look forward to the next release!
David
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

You ae aware that the 'next release' I referred to is already here?
V2.6.2 has this one note fix in it.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
MainTrane
Dedicated

Post by MainTrane »

phil wrote:The scroll messages need to be sent to the parent of the window. At some point, I should add that as a "scrolling method" but thats a significant chance so right now, its will be a hard coded fix for that specific window.
May I suggest adding a check box to the 'Find Window' dialog for 'also apply to parent class', so that commands will also be sent when the parent class is seen as the active window. That may help, though I may not be fully grasping where the miscommunication is between XMBC and the problem app.

• Beta Tester ‖ Global Moderator
    Logitech [ G700 | G500 | MX1100 ᵛ¹ ᵛ² ]
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
    Intel Core i7-960 @ 3.85GHz
    18GB (3x4GB+3x2GB) RAM
    DirectX 11
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
[/size]
dpreussII
New User

Post by dpreussII »

phil wrote:You ae aware that the 'next release' I referred to is already here?
V2.6.2 has this one note fix in it.

Thanks,
Phil
Well no, I wasn't aware of it...
That's faster than McDonalds.
And it really works.
Phil, thank you. You've taken my multiple monitor, multiple application, day in and day out computing experience to right where it needs to be. It wasn't even close without X-Mouse... and it's pretty much perfect now with it.
Thanks again.
David
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

No problem, glad its working.
One of the advantages of me messing up the release of 2.6, and the fact that I could easily reproduce your problem to test it was that I could fix it in 2.6.2 :)

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
grog368
New User

Post by grog368 »

I'm using X-mouse 2.10.2 and after recently installing it (to disable my mouse buttons 4 and 5), I'm unable to scroll in OneNote (and sporadically in one other app). I'm running on Windows 10, and my OneNote version is from Office 2013 I think. The About page simply lists version: 17.6131.10051.0

I cannot scroll vertically with my mouse anywhere in OneNote.
I also cannot scroll in the Windows 10 Start Menu. I used to be able to, but for some reason today I cannot.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm not as technical as I'd like to be, sorry about that, but if you can tell me what button/checkbox to chose in my X-mouse interface that would be fantastic. :)

My browsers (Chrome, FF), my Excel and Word, notepad, and the rest of the apps all seem to scroll without problems.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

My first comment would be why are you still using 2.10.2, especially on Windows 10?
2.11 has been out for some time now, and I'm just about to release 2.12.

Now onto the problem....
I just checked my windows 10 start menu and I can scroll in that - which bit are you talking about - the tiles or the all apps section?

What version of One Note do you have? Is the the "basic" universal app that comes with Windows 10 or the version that comes with Office - in which case, what version of office?

EDIT: Apologies, I see you have already said One Note 2013...

I have Office 2010 on here and scroll *seems* to work, as does the Windows 10 universal app.

There is a known issue with Universal Apps scrolling in 2.10 (and possibly 2.11) which has been fixed in the 2.12 beta run. You could try installing 2.12 Beta (Its so close to release we shouldn't be having any significant issues with it - and if that still does not work, I can perhaps fix any issue before I release 2.12!).

You can install the beta by either turning on the "Check for beta versions" setting in the advanced settings tab or by downloading it in the forums here.

Maybe I need to apply the same fix for Office 2013 or maybe you can create a profile for it - I will have to check on that and I'm just about to leave for work, so maybe tonight.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
grog368
New User

Post by grog368 »

Well, good question. B/c 2.10.2 was the version the support email from my Gearhead mouse pointed me too recently.

By the way.... last night I found that I can turn off x-mouse and I get my scrolling back for onenote. I will wait patiently for 2.12 (no beta) version. With the workaround, I'm good. I really do appreciate your quick attention to it though.

I've made this a link in my onenote so I'll remember to check back for the release. Will let you know at that time.

Thank you!
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Hi, just to be clear, I was suggesting that I could modify 2.12 if it still has a problem with onenote. I was hoping that you could tell me if that was the case. Oh well nevermind, I do have onenote 2013 on my laptop so I can try it on there - but if I can't reproduce your problem then I wont be able to engineer a workaround for something that I cant recreate or know if the problem is still there or not!

I'll let you know if I need further assistance or not!

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--