Layers via Modifier Keys & Sticky Button w/axis lock

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.

Layers via Modifier Keys & Sticky Button w/axis lock

Post by Ville »

XMouse Button Control continues to be one of my day-to-day utilities. I recently switched to a trackball with fewer "auxiliary" buttons, and while configuring X-Mouse to adjust the button functionality, noticed one functionality that might be good to adjust.

I have two layers defined: the default, and a temporary overlay (Layer 2). If I switch between the layers via the hot keys, everything works perfectly. Since the Layer 2 is needed infrequently, I thought of trying out the Modifier Keys, and so I assigned a modifier key to temporarily activate the Layer 2. When I click on the Modifier Key to bring up the Layer 2, and then click on the right trackball button which I have assigned on the Layer 2 to "Sticky Left Button [Click-Drag] Y-Axis", click-drag is enabled but axis lock is not.

I realize there is a note underneath the "Axis Locking" about the Modifer Keys options, but I don't want to have to hold down the modifier key to lock the axis when the Layer 2 right click is already supposed to set "Sticky Left Button [Click-Drag] Y-Axis". I think the selected operation should behave as if the Layer 2 was active normally at the time of its selection, even if the layer is activated with a Modifier Key. The Axis Locking by a modifier key is also useful, but for different purposes... if the selected operation already includes axis locking, then that should override the Modifier Key -based axis locking.

Hope I'm outlining this clearly enough.. please let me know if it's not apparent what I'm after. :)
phil
Site Admin

Re: Layers via Modifier Keys & Sticky Button w/axis lock

Post by phil »

I think I understand you - it sounds like a bug to me - I cant think of any reason I would have done that on purpose :)

Its on the list (which need to be tackled soon because its growing too long!)

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)

Post by Ville »

Sounds good! I'm looking forward to the new version in the new year! :)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Lol - I'm not saying which "new" year though!
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Finally got to looking at a few bug reports... Only 4 months later than I'd hoped).
Out of interest What modifier key did you use?

EDIT: I think I have this fixed in the next beta (2.6b2)
--[ Phil ]--

Post by Ville »

Better later than never! :)

I'll get back with you later today with more detail... the configuration I was talking about is on my home workstation.

Post by Ville »

I had to play with the settings for a bit to remind me what I was talking about. :mrgreen:

I was using the App Menu Key back in December as the modifier to temporarily enable Layer 2. I was just testing with various modifier keys, and it seems sometimes some keys worked correctly also for the axis lock (e.g. Click-Drag Y-axis lock), but not always.

On a quick test 2.6 beta 2 seems to fix it; I'll keep testing and will let you know if I come across any problems.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Some keys alter the windows click behaviour, so, for example is you used CTRL, it might be a problem because CTRL+Drag can be different from just drag!

One of the problems with the modifier keys in general for layer switching is that it can effect the actions when you are holding certain keys. Thats life I guess, there isn't much I can do about that! But better to work and allow the user the choice than to refuse to work at all like before :)

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--