Kensington Slimblade now works (needs TrackballWorks)

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
pocococo
New User

Kensington Slimblade now works (needs TrackballWorks)

Post by pocococo »

I just got a Kensington Slimblade Trackball, hoping that the scrolling would be smoother and the lower profile more ergonomic than with the Expert Mouse I've used for a few years.

When I first plugged it in, only the lower 2 buttons worked - the others had no effect whatsoever, and couldn't be remapped in X-Mouse. I was rather distraught.

However, after installing Kensington's TrackballWorks software from their website, the Slimblade behaves exactly like the Expert Mouse. All four buttons (as well as scroll up and scroll down) are now detected and remappable in X-Mouse.

I saw some earlier threads from before TrackballWorks was released where this trackball wasn't working for people. I just wanted to report that it works now : )
pocococo
New User

Re: Kensington Slimblade now works (needs TrackballWorks)

Post by pocococo »

Well, I spoke too soon; this is not working well. When using TrackballWorks, sometimes (inconsistently) button 4 acts as "Back" in addition to whatever action I have programmed in X-Mouse.

In my case I have it programmed to be "Middle click". It's really annoying now that when I "middle-click" to open links in new tabs in a browser, *sometimes* the original tab also goes "back".

It's not really usable like this; I may return the trackball or stop using X-Mouse if I can't figure this out.

EDIT: And now, after getting a little more creative with mouse button remapping, I seem to have it working well again. Now I've mapped MB3 and MB5 to the trackball buttons in TrackballWorks, which avoids the unwelcome MB4 (Back) signals.