Remap mouse button without app?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
ozzzo
New User

Remap mouse button without app?

Post by ozzzo »

I've been using X-Mouse for many years and I can barely function without my middle mouse button mapped to <Enter>, but now I'm working at a company that won't let me install anything. Not X-Mouse, not even M$ Keyboard and Mouse Center. Is there a way to remap the middle mouse button to <Enter> without an app?

I tried the portable app, but only approved executables are allowed to run on my win$ 10 workstation.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Remap mouse button without app?

Post by phil »

Not that I know of, sorry. Even the mice with built in support like logitech and others require the logitech software be installed to configure the buttons.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
ozzzo
New User

Post by ozzzo »

Would it be possible for me to write a batch or powershell script that would run on my win$ workstation and change my middle mouse button?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I doubt it - you need to install a low level mouse hook (at least thats how XMBC does it) to intercept the messages and inject new ones, you can do that from .NET using WinAPI calls (but it wont be as efficient as doing it from C++ native Win32/x64 apps) but I believe that's a bit beyond the scope of powershell and defiantly not possible in batch scripts.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)