More than 1 action/event for each mouse button

General chat. Do not talk about XMBC, InpOut32 or any other Highrez software packages in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please post to the correct forum, otherwise your post may not be seen.
Before posing, be sure to read and respect the forum rules
jfhenault
New User

More than 1 action/event for each mouse button

Post by jfhenault »

Hi,

It would be so great if you could find a way to assign 2 or more actions for the same mouse button.

I have set my shortcut keys in VLC and would use those keys with my mouse.
In this example, I could use the side button of my mouse to :

1. go to the next song with a single click (Simulated keystrokes {CTRL}{ALT}{RIGHT} as mouse button is pressed)

2. advanced quickly in a song by holding the same mouse button (Simulated keystrokes {CTRL}{SHIFT}{RIGHT} repeatedly while the button is down)

Right now, only one event can be assigned for each mouse button. Many events for each button would be really appreciated.

First, is it possible?

Thank you

JF
phil
Site Admin

Re: More than 1 action/event for each mouse button

Post by phil »

Hi,

Its something that is asked quite a lot - although this is a slightly different take and may be more possible. The problem is that the mouse button DOWN (press) will have to be delayed until we know if it is a hold action or a click action and on the left or right buttons this could be problematic, not least because delaying the button down means dropping it - and then simulating it later on.

Some programs ignore simulated input (some games etc.) and this could prevent the mouse buttons functioning normally.

Still, on a per-application profile basis, it might work I suppose but while it might be possible, its a lot of engineering work (and probably a significant re-write of XMBC) and my time is limited - and this is a hobby and something I do in my spare time which gets less and less as all the other pressures of life/work increase!.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
jfhenault
New User

Re: More than 1 action/event for each mouse button

Post by jfhenault »

Thank you for your quick reply and taking the time to explain.

Your work is appreciated.

Have a good day.
JF