Iconoid 64 Bit Works With Vista Then Stops

My port of Iconoid by SillySoft
max53000
New User

Iconoid 64 Bit Works With Vista Then Stops

Post by max53000 »

This is my first post to this forum. Twice, on two separate Vista Ultimate 64 bit installations on my computer, I have had Iconoid 64 bit working normally. All the functions I use are Save, Icon Dance, and Restore. Then suddenly it stops having any effect on the icons. The first time I tried multiple restore points with no joy. The second time I tried resetting all the iconoid settings, double-checking that Drop Shadows are permanently disabled (they are), and tried stopping third party processes from running with Process Explorer. Still there is no joy. Is it possible there is a need for an updated C++ runtime? Is it possible the DLL either became registered, corrupted, or unregistered? Do you have any other troubleshooting suggestions? Thanks in advance for responding to this thread.

Max
max53000
phil
Site Admin

Re: Iconoid 64 Bit Works With Vista Then Stops

Post by phil »

Hi,

I don't really know what to say on this. I am certainly no expert with iconoid - I dont actually use it myself any more - I did briefly about 3 years ago.

I cant think of any reason for this problem, the DLL does not need to be registered (its not a COM object). I guess it could be corrupt but that's easy to test because you can download a new copy and and try again.

The runtime requirements haven't changed. I did rebuild it the other day to fix some windows 7 issues - Did you try the latest version on my download site - is that what "broke" it (did it work prior to my change last week)?

Failing that, you could try asking the original author? He cant test on 64bit but maybe the problem also occurs on the 32bit version - I just don't know. You can contact Doug at Sillysoft using the built in "email support" options.

Sorry I cant be more helpful on this one.
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)