Tilt Scroll Wheel

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
Dmukasjr
New User

Tilt Scroll Wheel

Post by Dmukasjr » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:14 am

XMBC Version: v2. 17
Windows Version: Windowas 10
Mouse Information (brand/model): Alienware AW959
Computer Information: Alienware 15 R3
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC or Windows?: No
How long have you used XMBC?: about 2 months
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: English, qwerty keyboard

Clear description of the problem: My mouse has an option to tilt the scroll wheel and when i try to bind tilt scroll wheel in x-mouse, nothing happens once i try to use it. X-mouse detects that i am tilting the scroll wheel but nothing actually occurs.

phil
Site Admin

Re: Tilt Scroll Wheel

Post by phil » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:44 pm

I presume by"XMBC" detect the tilt, you mean that the tilt configuration drop-down boxes highlight in orange?
So what have you tried mapping to the tilt (i.e. what mapping is not working as expected)

Its important to remember that TILT (and scroll) is different to normal buttons in that there is not a discrete "down" and "up" message, but instead, the tilt function sends a single "tilt" message that is repeated (the repeat time seems to be mouse specific). XMBC has the option to attempt to translate this repeat into a simulated discrete down and up but its not as reliable as a mouse button. Check the ignore repeated remapped horizontal scroll on the options tab.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-6600k, Asus 170-A, 16GB DDR4,
nVidia GeForce GTX 970, 2xEvo 850 (RAID 0), 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)

macpeteo
New User

Post by macpeteo » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:27 pm

So I have the same issue with the Tilt Wheel.

I mapped my Right Wheel Tilt to be a {SHIFT} but it seems to work sometimes, in other words, it does not behave like the SHIFT on my keyboard, is there a selection to choose that will make it behave just like a keypress of the SHIFT key on my keyboard, meaning, when I TILT RIGHT, all my letters will be uppercase until I release the tilt.

So, when I tilt right and hold it there, I do get a upper case letter but its like (guessing) 1 out of 7 times, I tried all the options 1-9. Option 8 works but its a Sticky and I have to press right again to release, I would like that beaver when I have the wheel tilt actually tilted right and stop when I release.

MY mouse is the Engage Optical Mouse, don't have a model number.

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:57 pm

Is that the same issue? I don't know - as the first post gave very little away.
Your issue should be fixed as best as possible using the "ignore repeated horizontal scroll" option on the options tab.

BUT as I said, because the tilt does not send a discrete press and release to Windows, its very difficult to accurately get around that fact as in the end, it is effectively guessing if you are holding the tilt or not (because there is no way of knowing if it is down or up, other than the repeated message ever 50ms or so if it is held down).

This is a feature of the hardware (or at best the device driver) and there is nothing I or any other user level software can do about that (that I am aware of).

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-6600k, Asus 170-A, 16GB DDR4,
nVidia GeForce GTX 970, 2xEvo 850 (RAID 0), 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)

macpeteo
New User

Post by macpeteo » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:06 pm

TY for reply, yes that seems to give me what Im looking for (without using #8, the sticky), so now I'm using #3 and along with your suggestion it seems to be doing what I expected it to do when I tilt right and stops doing the SHIFT when I release the tilt.

Thanks,
Pete