Delay in highlighting text

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
saveli
New User

Delay in highlighting text

Post by saveli » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:21 am

Hello. Thanks for XMBC. I found it recently after some frustration with Logitech's software and really find it useful. Unfortunately, however, I am experiencing an issue.

When I go to highlight text on the screen, there seems to be a few milliseconds before it recognizes that my mouse button is being held down. This results in the first character of the word I am attempting to highlight being missed. That is, unless I remember to press and hold while pausing a half second or so before moving to the side to continue highlighting.

This behavior seems to occur in Firefox, Chrome, and Edge. Interestingly, Microsoft Word seems fine. At first, I thought I was having a mouse problem. But after some testing, I found that the minor delay only occurs when I have XMBC loaded. I have a total of 3 profiles, including the default, and am only using Layer 1.

Thanks in advance for any insights you may have on this.

Useful info:
XMBC v2.17
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
5 button mouse (Logitech model M510)
Microsoft's HID-compliant mouse driver version 10.0.16299.15
No other mouse software installed. Happily uninstalled Logitech's when I found XMBC.

saveli
New User

Re: Delay in highlighting text

Post by saveli » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:35 pm

I also notice that this delay results in problems when trying to resize a window/text box. Because of the slight delay, the window ends up not being resized. It appears that the press-and-hold of the left mouse button is recognized after I've started moving the mouse to resize the window, which since I'm no longer on the edge of the window when the button press is detected, results in the window not being resized. If I again pause for a moment after pressing-and-holding before starting the mouse drag process of resizing, then it works.

Also, I checked the processor priority of XMBC, and it appears to default to High. For testing purposes, I tried setting the priority to realtime, but that resulted in no change.

phil
Site Admin

Re: Delay in highlighting text

Post by phil » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:50 pm

Have you remapped the left button?
If you have, the what to?

If not, then I'm unsure what could be going on - what process priority have you set?
XMBC uses mouse hooks to intercept the mouse button, so in theory this could introduce delays, but none that I have ever noticed myself on any computer from the last 10 years or so (What spec is your cpu etc?). Is it more noticeable when the CPU is under high load (it would make more sense if it were).

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-6600k, Asus 170-A, 16GB DDR4,
nVidia GeForce GTX 970, 2xEvo 850 (RAID 0), 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)