XMouse on Vista

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.

XMouse on Vista

Postby phil » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:17 am

Well, Vista RTM has been out for several weeks now, and it just went MVLA today....

So, does XMouse work on Vista?

The simple answer is YES.

The more complicated answer is SOMETIMES.....

The only real issue I have discovered so far, is that when you run XMouse in \"user mode\", it will not do its job for any process running in a higher security context (ie. Admin mode processes).

This is all thanks to UAP and more importantly, UIPI (which is a good thing generally I think!). It stops processes from interfering (by way of hooks like Mouse Hooks) with processes running at a higher security level.

This may not be a big problem - that remains to be seen. Maybe I can do something about it (when I can get Vista to run stably on my development desktop).

For now, v1.28 includes two new items exclusivly for Vista.
\"Flip 3D\" and \"ALT-TAB\". I think those two options are self explanitory :)

Anyway, give it a go and let me know of your experiences.

Thanks,
Phil
Last edited by phil on Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 8 x64, Intel i5-3570k, Gigabyte z77x-ud5h, 16GB DDR3
2xOCZ Agility 3 (RAID 0!), 3x1TB HDD, nVidia GeForce GTX 460
phil
Site Admin

x- mouse on Vista 64bit

Postby v64mouser » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:29 pm

Generally I like your mouse button remapping functions, thanks for the good work you have done.

If I remap one of my Evoluent Vertical mouse2 buttons to be a \"right click\" button, there is a problem, probably related to your posted \"user mode\" issue, if anything that requires admin permission (I think) is running, eg Device Manager, then I right click on an item in Device Manager, then I right click on the system tray icons - (processed incorrectly as the button re-mapping has dropped out, it probably is processed as the default action -\"Back\") - I lose the ability to do either left or right mouse button clicks on any program, and I lose mouse-hover ability (eg when you move the mouse over the buttons in the top right hand corner of any window the buttons dont light up). This happens quite often to me, I would be grateful if you can fix it. It may happen at other times also but I am not sure.

The only way I found to restore mouse function after that is to press Ctrl+Alt+Del then left click twice on Cancel.
v64mouser
New User

Postby phil » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:38 am

Hi, heres a quick reply,

Ive just had a very quick check and I can't reproduce that problem here.
I have my main buttons mapped as \"Nothing don't intercept\" and the 4th and 5th buttons as Copy / Paste respectively.

FYI, I'm using 32bit Vista, with UAC enabled.

Let me know your system spec and what version of Windows your running (I assume Vista, but x86 or x74?)

I'm going on Holiday tomorrow so I wont be able to reply until next week.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

x-mouse on vista64

Postby v64mouser » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:28 am

I have an AMD64 3000+ processor & Vista64. I have UAC enabled.

The problem is hard to describe, and I think not 100% consistent. Another example of how it triggers:

I am running the Right Mark CPU Clock utility in the system tray (it runs itself with administrator priviledges). Sometimes when I right click on that & click various things it triggers the problem, but not 100% consistently.

button re-mappings:

Left - Nothing
Right - Double click
mid -Flip 3D
Left X - Right click
Right X - back
v64mouser
New User

Re: x-mouse on vista64

Postby ToolPackinMama » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:55 am

v64mouser wrote:I have an AMD64 3000+ processor & Vista64. I have UAC enabled.

The problem is hard to describe, and I think not 100% consistent. Another example of how it triggers:

I am running the Right Mark CPU Clock utility in the system tray (it runs itself with administrator priviledges). Sometimes when I right click on that & click various things it triggers the problem, but not 100% consistently.

button re-mappings:

Left - Nothing
Right - Double click
mid -Flip 3D
Left X - Right click
Right X - back

I marvel that you can get it to work at all. I have had zero success with my Evoluent Vertical Mouse and Vista64.

It's a new AM2 system I just built myself, with Vista64 clean-installed. System specs on request.

Evoluent's site says Xmouse is a driver, but the creator here says it isn't. I haven't been able to get anything but two button usage, I think because I have no driver (except the generic one). Evoluent's drivers won't install.

I'd appreciate any advice.
ToolPackinMama
New User

Re: x-mouse on vista64

Postby v64mouser » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:06 am

looking in Device Manager I see I have the generic \"HID-compliant mouse\" driver from Microsoft installed. I then installed the x-mouse driver, that allowed me to remap all the 5 buttons on the Evoluent Vertical Mouse2 successfully. The only problem I have is explained above.

I also couldn't install the Evoluent drivers, Evoluent said they are working on a Vista driver, but I don't know if it is a 64 bit driver or only for Vista 32 bit.
v64mouser
New User

Postby phil » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:17 am

Hi,

Firstly, v64Mouse, If you have UAC enabled in Vista and your program runs in admin mode then XMouse will not work in that program unless XMouse runs in admin mode (which it does not do by default).

Does the \"Right Mark CPU Clock\" utility ask for elevated permissions every time you start windows/login or does it run in admin mode silently?
Also note that if that utility runs another program, its almost certain that it will have the same permissions (ie. admin mode) also.

Having said all that, XMouse should continue to work normally in non admin programs so it is a little odd. Maybe there is a compatibility problem with Vista 64bit. This is looking more and more like \"Phil you need to install 64bit Vista :?)

I cant promise anything soon but maybe next week I can give 64bit a chance and do soem testing here.

Phil
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

x- mouse on Vista 64bit

Postby v64mouser » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:38 am

Yes I have been running x-mouse for some time now on Vista64. It does seem to work OK apart from when admin priv programs are running. I am always running a couple of admin priv utilities such as \"Right Mark CPU Clock\" (displays an UAC elevation prompt when it runs), and in my work I frequently use other admin mode programs. So the \"loss of left-mouse-clicking ability\"issue seems to trigger off frequently when using those admin priv programs, as previously described in my posts.
v64mouser
New User

Postby phil » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:54 pm

Well, the easy way to fix that, is to run XMouse as administrator. That should allow it to work with both admin (elevated) and non-elevated apps.

But of course, it means you will get asked if you want to allow it, every time you run XMouse.

I still havn't found a way of running XMouse elevated without the prompts - although I stumbled across TweakUAC yesterday which may help to reduce the UAC prompts while still giving the advantages of UAC. I haven't tried it yet though.

Edit: I just downloaded TweakUAC and it does seem to do what it says. Apps requiring elevation run without prompting. This still means normal apps run with lower privs (so its a lot better than turning UAC off).

Still to make XMouse run as admin you will have to modify the way it is started. PM me or reply if you need help with that!

If only MS would allow a method to \"always allow\" an application to run elevated once you trust it.
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

x- mouse on Vista 64bit

Postby v64mouser » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:57 pm

thanks. OK how do I start it as admin, as I can't see x-mouse in the Startup group.
v64mouser
New User

Postby phil » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:50 am

OK, I've been doing this now :)

the easy way... Find the EXE...
its in c:\\program files\\Highresolution Enterprises\\XMouse Button Control......
The folder is different for 32bit and 64bit but it should be obvious when you get there.

Right click the EXE and select Properties.
On the \"Compatibility\" tab, tick the box at the bottom \"Run this program as an administrator\"

That will bring up the UAC prompts when you run XMouse - unless you use TweakUAC to put UAC in quiet mode.

EDIT: PS its not in the startup group, its in the registry in the \"Run\" key.

Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

x- mouse on Vista 64bit

Postby v64mouser » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:19 am

I am now using TweakUAC in quiet mode, and am running your app as an administrator. That works fairly well, except that now Vista64's built-in Windows Defender blocks 2 out of 3 admin priv utilities (including your app) from running on startup. Every reboot I have to right click on the Windows Defender icon & select \"run x-mouse\" to get it to run, then do the same for the other admin app. The other app runs from the startup group, yours runs from the Run key, and I can't find an option in Windows Defender to stop this happening.
v64mouser
New User

Postby phil » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:23 am

Ah OK, that could be a problem - I havnt rebooted yet so I hadn't noticed it..
If I find a solution I will let you know but that wont be at least until tomorrow.

Phil
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Postby phil » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:39 am

Well I can verify that I have that problem too after setting XMouse to run as administrator... But after a very quick google, it seems this may not be \"fixable\".

I will investigate but for now, Ive turned off the run as admin option because Id rather not have to click that \"Blocked programs\" every time...

Whilst I can appreciate why MS may do this, its really annoying that there is no way of disabling these things for \"power users\".

I'll let you know if I find a solution.
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Postby phil » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:09 am

If maybe found an interim solution to this problem.

I have now written a service which runs XMouse at logon (or at service startup) if its not already running. The service is able to launch XMouse elevated with no prompting but there is one problem..

XMouse stores its settings in the registry under the current user key. When running from the service, the current user key is NOT the usual logged on user key but a \"global\" default user key. So the settings will be the same for all users AND will be different if you run XMouse manually (without the service).

However, the benefit outweighs this for me (seeing as I'm the only user usually its not a problem for me).

At some stage, I will probably modify XMouse to use a configuration (XML?) file to store its settings - thus avoiding this problem (I hope).

Until then, let me know if your interested in trying this service.
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Next

Return to XMouse Button Control