XMBC with W-7 & W-8

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links or images until they have at least 4 posts.
jrw1
New User

XMBC with W-7 & W-8

Post by jrw1 »

I have an old Logitech 4 button mouse (left-right-scroll -thumb) that I am currently using with Windows XP. I have XMBC installed along with Logitech's Mouseware software. Everything works great.
I am looking to upgrade to either Windows 7 (32bit) or possibly Windows 8. Logitech's Mouseware software is not designed to work with either W-7 or W-8. Will XMBC work with either of these operating systems without having to install Logitech's software (ie., with only the native mouse drivers for these programs)?
THANKS.

phil
Site Admin

Re: XMBC with W-7 & W-8

Post by phil »

XMBC works fine with both windows 7 and windows 8.

Does the mouse work with XMBC on XP without the logitech software running? Assuming it does, I dont see any reason why your would have any problems with the default mouse driver on 7 or 8, so long as it sends the messages for all your 4 buttons (as it usually supports 5 buttons) it should be fine.

v2.5 has a few small issues with windows 8, mostly because MS tightened security a bit. 2.6 Beta fixes those issues (I really need to get that out finally - esp. as Win 8.1 is just around the corner - although the latest beta is working fine with that for me so far :))

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-9600k, Asus Z390-ROG, 16GB DDR4,
nVidia GeForce GTX 970, Evo 970 500Gb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)

jrw1
New User

Post by jrw1 »

No - it only works on XP with the Logitech software running. The mouse is a Logitech Mouseman Wheel. It worked fine for years with the Logitech software and then it began operating erratically. On Logitech's forum some other people noticed the same problem. Best guess was that it may have been caused by an XP update. That is where I learned about XMBC. I installed XMBC and the problem was solved. (Thanks by the way!).
I was hoping to be able to continue to use this mouse. Perhaps I will have to try to use the Logitech Mouseware software in XP3 Compatibility Mode. Do you know if XMBC will work with it under this situation?
Thanks for your response.

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

XMBC is not a driver, it will run anywhere on Windows, but thats no guarantee that the windows mouse messages it relies on will be sent by whatever driver you have installed.

The only real answer it to try it. I use logitech mice that usually use SetPoint, but I dont need setpoint installed. Its going to be down to the mouse and if the standard (generic HID) driver can see the buttons >3 and tilt wheel I guess.

Sorry I cant be more precise, maybe someone else here can, but dont get your hopes up, its not the busiest of places!

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--

jrw1
New User

Post by jrw1 »

Can the generic mouse driver for W-7 recognize more than the standard 3 mouse buttons of left, right & scroll ?

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Yes, the generic driver recognises 5 buttons, scroll and tilt. But on XP, it should work with 5 buttons & scroll (XP does not natively support tilt). Of course, there is no guarantee that the generic driver will work with your mouse, but being Logitech, and as all my 5 button logitech mice work fine, I would expect it to be OK!

Phil
--[ Phil ]--