XMBC 2.6 Beta

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links or images until they have at least 4 posts.
iamntz
New User

Re: XMBC 2.6 Beta

Post by iamntz »

Hi, thanks for your reply. No wonder you didn't hear about 3rvx, probably i'm one of its three users :mrgreen:

So, 3rvx is a silly app that allows me to change volume via win+scroll wheel without triggering the start screen when is used (although pressing win key without scrolling will show the start screen).

I also tried to remove all xmbc settings from appData and downgraded from beta to stable with no luck. I think the problem started to pop after i migrated to w8, a year ago.

I posted this more like a heads up though, because I figured out a small workaround for this but making sure that 3rvx will start after a minute when the pc starts/wake up from stand by (so basically after xmbc). Is not the perfect solution, but it works.

//edit: ~15 years ago, when mices with scrollwheel where fairly rare, i used an app that allowed me to fake middle click. Pressing both buttons => middle click. Pressing button 2 while button 1 is pressed => an action (back). Pressing button 1 while button 2 is pressed => another action (forward).

Fast forward to present day, I don't need prev/next and middle click (i bought another mouse meanwhile :D ) but would be nice if this could be done via xmbc because there is a fairly limited customisation on mices with fewer buttons. (there are also a lot more combination: button 1 to 5 plus our friend, scrollwheel)

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I'll have a look at 3rvx and try and figure out if I make XMBC do that with the win key too then... Im not sure how, without breaking the keyboard input buffer it can fool windows into not reveicing the key up message but I guess thats what its doing.

But I warn you, this probably wont get into 2.5 simply because its been almost a year and I need to get 2.6 out. As this is not a new problem, it will probably have to wait for the next version (which I hope wont be quite as slow as 2.6!!!!)

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 500Gb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)

iamntz
New User

Post by iamntz »

Thanks! (i'm using latest 2.6 btw)

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Someone has reported a problem with Autohotkey scripts after resuming from sleep (with Beta 9 and possibly before). Can anyone help me test it since is seems the person reporting the issue is unwilling to help (yeh I know - clearly does not understand BETA!).

If anyone has AHK and XMBC installed, can you please try sleep/resume and make sure there are no problems in either. The only think I cant think of (and maybe this relates to iamntz issue above), is that the hook (re)install is somehow dropping other hooks. I dont believe that should happen - so I will have to have a closer look, but if anyone else can reproduce this problem then let me know.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--

iamntz
New User

Post by iamntz »

I'm also using autohotkey but i saw no issues (but i use it only for couple of keyboard mapping)

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I did some poking around last night and found nothing. I dont think the issue that you had with 3rvx is related (I installed 3rvx and it worked - but it was unreliable but not in the way you described - I think because XMBC redirects scroll messages to the window under the cursor and that is not how 3xvr expects scroll messages to appear (i.e. depending on where the mouse cursor is, XMBC blocks the scroll messages before 3xvr gets them). If you turn that option off then 3vxr worked better).

I think the autohotkey issue (if indeed it is an issue) is different and as I dont have any useful information about that the issue is from the person who reported it, I guess I will have to put that to one side. I dont want to delay release of 2.6 any more - its been too long already..... I do however want to make sure beta 9 is running OK before I make it 2.6 final so I will hold off bit longer :)

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--

iamntz
New User

Post by iamntz »

I think because XMBC redirects scroll messages to the window under the cursor
If i remove that settings 3rvx will work (tested right now). But this is number one reason for what i'm using XMBC! :mrgreen:

As i told you before, is not a big of a deal, so I'll just live with this issue. Thanks for looking into it!

bobthebuilder
New User

Post by bobthebuilder »

Hi Phil, XMBC is wonderful. (Especially not having to click to scroll a window)

I'm having trouble with Visual Studio 2012, specifically the IntelliSense (code-completion) pop-ups, which behave quite oddly when the "Make Scroll Wheel scroll window under cursor" option is selected.

When the pointer is over the completion list, the wheel events simply disappear. When the pointer is over the editor window (outside the list), it scrolls the list. I suspect that MS are doing some funny mesasge routing to keep the focus with the editor window for when the completion list closes.

Tested with XMBC 2.5 and 2.6 Beta 9

In Beta9, also checking the "activate window when scrolling" option sends the first wheel event to the editor window before routing the others to the completion list (which then scrolls as intended).

Thank you,
Robert

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK I will have a look at vs2012 (handy I have that one :)) - its about time I upgraded XMBC to use 2012 (or maybe 2013 now) but its still on 2008 (2010 was not great for C++ IMHO). I dont know if I will be able to squeeze this into 2.6 final though - it might have to wait until 2.7....
--[ Phil ]--

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK here is 2.6 Beta 10.
This is it. If no more problems are found, it gets released this weekend (or thereabouts).

As usual, you can get the beta HERE.

Changes since v2.6 Beta 10:
  • #191: Fixed problem with VS2012 scrolling caused by fix for VS2010. For now, the 2010 fix becomes a hidden XML setting, disabled by default as most people would have moved to 2012 anyway I guess.
Once again, keep me updated of any new/reoccurring issues.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--

bobthebuilder
New User

Post by bobthebuilder »

Cheers! Thank you so much for the prompt update!

Scrolling now works like a charm in VS 2012, both with "activate window when scrolling" and without (which I personally prefer).

Best regards,
Robert

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK I'm locking down this topic now as I have released v2.6.

Thanks for all your help testing, and sorry it has taken so long to get 2.6 out the door!
Phil
--[ Phil ]--