XMBC Switches Active Layer Back to Default on Startup

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links or images until they have at least 4 posts.
weebee
New User

XMBC Switches Active Layer Back to Default on Startup

Post by weebee »

XMBC Version: 2.18.8
Windows Version: Windows 10
Mouse Information (brand/model):
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): Intel Core i7
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): No
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): No
How long have you used XMBC?: several years
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: English/US

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:

I want a different layer than layer 1 to be enabled whenever XMBC first launches. I currently use a command line switch in my XMBC shortcut so that once I launch it, layer 3 is enabled. This works. However, it always reverts to layer 1 once I start typing something which ends up defeating the purpose. What could be the reason for this? (I have my "switch to" setting in Layer 3 set to Disable).

By the way, I don't see any option to change the default active layer on startup. If there is an alternative way to do this, I'd also be interested in knowing that.

phil
Site Admin

Re: XMBC Switches Active Layer Back to Default on Startup

Post by phil »

There is a new(ish) option to "remember the active layer when restarting" on the general settings tab - this may be new in 2.19 or 2.18 I cant remember for sure). If you turn that on it should start on the same layer as when you closed XMBC. There is no other way to set the active layer (other than the command line you already know about). As for it resetting when you type I don't know why that might be - I will have to investigate (not tonight!). Pray tell why you are using layer 3 as the default - I'm simply curious as to your reasoning for doing that?

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-9600k, Asus Z390-ROG, 16GB DDR4,
nVidia GeForce GTX 970, Evo 970 500Gb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)

weebee
New User

Post by weebee »

Great. I just upgraded to 2.19.1 . I do now see the setting. That's helpful.

My reason for using layer 3 as the default is because I happen to have set it up for external monitor use and tweaked the layer settings quite a little bit over time. For some time now, I have been using my external monitor continuously and so, I generally want to keep using layer 3 which I set up mainly for that purpose, even after a restart. Having the setting you pointed out helps but it would also be nice if that other issue didn't exist. It offers more flexibility if one wants to launch a specific layer through a shortcut, for example. The purpose is of course defeated if within a short while of intentionally starting a specific layer it always just reverts to layer 1.

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Yes, it certainly shouldn't revert to layer one when started with the command line to set layer 3 - I will certainly add that to the list of things to investigate!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-9600k, Asus Z390-ROG, 16GB DDR4,
nVidia GeForce GTX 970, Evo 970 500Gb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)