Switching tabs in Chrome requires mouse to slightly move for scroll to work

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
menace97
New User

Switching tabs in Chrome requires mouse to slightly move for scroll to work

Post by menace97 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:59 am

XMBC Version: 2.18.2
Windows Version: Windows 8.1 x64
Mouse Information (brand/model): Razer DeathAdder Elite
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC or Windows?: I noticed the issue only after upgrading to 2.18.1 or 2.182
How long have you used XMBC?: 5 years+
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: US-English

Clear description of the problem:
When switching between open tabs in Chrome 72.0.3626.96 x64 by CTRL-TABBING (so the location of the mouse pointer hasn't changed), scrolling with the mouse wheel does not do so. I need to slightly move the mouse to activate the scrolling action with the mouse wheel as it normally would perform.

After playing around with various settings that I had never tried, turning OFF "Make scroll wheel scroll window under cursor" seemed to restore the scrolling behavior within Chrome (I didn't need to move the mouse at all when switching tabs). The downside of this of course, is that as soon as I was hovering over a window in which I wanted to scroll, it of course wouldn't do so - I prefer having that setting ON. I thought I would mention my observations, as it may help with this issue for me.

NOTE: No extensions running in Chrome.

UPDATE:
Maybe something in Chrome changed this behavior? I tried going back to X-Mouse 2.16, 2.17 and 2.18... the issue was still present. I'm starting to second guess myself... I swear I didn't have to move the mouse at all to scroll web pages with the wheel before... :?

Thank you for your assistance! :)
Last edited by menace97 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

phil
Site Admin

Re: Switching tabs in Chrome requires mouse to slightly move for scroll to work

Post by phil » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:07 am

OK this makes some sense, because until you move the mouse, it does not detect the "window under the cursor" so when scrolling it is probably sending/redirecting the scroll message to the wrong (previous) window.

I will have a look and see if I can fix it (because using the keyboard alt+tab also runs the window detection, because obviously that can change the window under the cursor), I think the solution will be to simply do the same check when ctrl+tab is pressed as well as alt+tab). I'll let you know what I find.

I have reproduced the issue here (I'm at work at the moment so I can't do anything about it till I get home at best - I have a little list though as I was on Holiday in Canada last week and have a bit to catch up on - so I may not get to it straight away!). I'm a little surprised this issue was not present in older versions - I will have to check that (because if it was not, it may be a sign of more problems). I did attempt to reduce the amount of times the window check was performed (as its rather CPU intensive) but that shouldn't have made a difference in this regard.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-9600k, Asus Z390-ROG, 16GB DDR4,
nVidia GeForce GTX 970, Evo 970 500Gb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:30 pm

OK the same problem exists in 2.17 for me.
Anyway I have figured out the problem and fixed it - it will be in the next release.
--[ Phil ]--

menace97
New User

Post by menace97 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:37 am

Thank you so much Phil!

I hope you had a nice holiday here in Canada.

:cheers:

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:51 pm

I did indeed :). Was in the Quebec (MontTremblant) area for skiing and snowmobiling :).
--[ Phil ]--

menace97
New User

Post by menace97 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:37 pm

Good to hear about your visit to Canada. :D

I wanted to update this to reflect another observation... I don't know how I missed it before, but this behavior occurs for me even when going BACK and FORWARD through browser history (so I don't necessarily need to switch to a new tab or window for this to occur). Being that I have a Razer DeathAdder Elite, I'm using the two side buttons to navigate back and forward through browser history - so if I don't move the mouse at all, push one of the side buttons to go back or forward, then use the mouse wheel to scroll... the page will not scroll. Again, like before, I only need to slightly move the position of the mouse pointer to again start scrolling the newly loaded web page (in the same tab/window).

I feel silly, as I'm just not sure that this ever happened before a short while ago. So I don't know if it's Windows, Chrome or with XMouse Button Control... or if it's just my imagination. Something lately just feels different with scrolling with the mouse wheel. :?:

Thanks again! :D

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:15 am

Yes, I know and understand the problem.
I think I have fixed it, Im just chasing another (unrelated) bug before I make another release.
--[ Phil ]--

menace97
New User

Post by menace97 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:38 am

:D Thank you Phil!