Random Freeze Up

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
hopkins802
New User

Random Freeze Up

Post by hopkins802 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:26 am

XMBC Version: 2.18.1
Windows Version: 10
Mouse Information (brand/model): Logitech / M570
Computer Information: i7 6700k, 32gb RAM, GTX 1070
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC or Windows?: No
How long have you used XMBC?: 1 day
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: English

Clear description of the problem:

This is my first day trying X-Mouse Button Control out, my only need for it at the moment (though I can see it will have many uses in the future), is to allow my trackball to act as a scroll wheel when I have a selected button pushed. After a bit of research I have set the Right Button to a Button Held action. The Button Held action is Change Movement To Scroll. I have the setting held for 150 ms before activating. Within the Change Movement To Scroll options, I have the Axis/Direction set to "Don't Lock". I have the sensitivity set to 1, because my pointer speed is pretty fast. I felt that things got a bit more accurate when I lowered the sensitivity. Anyway, when it works it works great. I believe I solved my first issue, where the scroll would act erratically if I moved the trackball before the right button had been pressed for less than 150ms. It seems that if I hold the right button down a bit longer, then go to scroll, it works okay. However, I have had a couple instances where my trackball just freezes all together. I'm able to right click, and left click, but the trackball doesn't move the cursor anymore. This ends up only lasting for a few moments, and I have gotten out of it by pressing the right button and moving the trackball again. I have closed SetPoint, as I figured that might mess with it...Anything else you can think of that might freeze the trackball up?

phil
Site Admin

Re: Random Freeze Up

Post by phil » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:38 am

Hi,

Unfortunately it sounds like it could be a bug... I've not personally used change movement to scroll with button held and I bet something is getting confused in there. I will have to try to reproduce it here - unfortunately these "random" issues are far less easy to track down which makes finding the problem a real pain!

Could you try turning on debug logging and then try to reproduce the problem - it might help point me in the right direction. Turn on debug logging in the updates and logging tab, OK and apply that. Try and reproduce the problem and when it happens, make a note of the time (this is important so I can find the right part of the rather verbose log). Then send me the log file via PM or by email - or simply past a snippet around that time here.

The next two weeks are going to be difficult for me to look into it too much (I'm on holiday from Friday for 10 days and will be out of contact for most of that) but if I can narrow it down I may be able to find a workaround or fix before then.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-9600k, Asus Z390-ROG, 16GB DDR4,
nVidia GeForce GTX 970, Evo 970 500Gb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:21 pm

OK the positive news - I think I have found and fixed the problem.
Not 100% sure (can you ever be with random issues) but I think I know whats going on.

the first problem (which you overcame by waiting a bit longer): Is a genuine problem and is caused by movement of the cursor position between the right button press and the timer for the button held going off to enable the movement to scroll (MTS) - the MTS uses the original mouse cursor location (when the right button was clicked), not the current one - causing no end of confusion when working out how far the mouse moved and the erratic scrolling.
--> Fixed by using the current cursor position when initializing MTS.

The "random" lockup seems to be if you trigger the MTS but don't actually move the cursor before releasing the right button (very easy when using a timer of 150ms which is a bit quick!). XMBC releases the MTS with NO movement, it attempts to perform the default button actions... Which is ButtonHeld. This of course has already been released (which is what triggered the MTS release) and when it tries to release it again, it goes POP. And when it goes POP, it fails to release the MTS and therefore the cursor wont move because it believes its locked for MTS.

--> Fixed by checking in the button held "release" code that it has a valid state object, rather than trying to use a NULL object and going pop.

This seems to have fixed these issues. My only question is, is there something else at play that I have yet to discover.

I was just about to release 2.18.2 - so what I will do is put these two fixes in there (they are nice and localized to this configuration so low risk), and then you can try that one, in the hopes that its fixed completely. If the issue returns, I can investigate further with you (once I get back from holidays :)).

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--

hopkins802
New User

Post by hopkins802 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:17 pm

Thanks for hopping on this so quick Phil! I've been finding that if I'm just careful i'm usually okay. When I get in that mode when video editing it's hard to remember to wait before starting my scroll, but I'll just have to get used to it!

What will be the best way for me to know when the update is ready to go?

Thanks again!
Dan

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:12 pm

Its ready to go several hours ago! - 2.18.2 should be good?!
--[ Phil ]--

hopkins802
New User

Post by hopkins802 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:20 am

downloaded, thanks!

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:18 am

Please let me now if its better/worse/no different :).
--[ Phil ]--