Feature suggestion, Changing Cursor icon

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
nabkawe
New User

Feature suggestion, Changing Cursor icon

Post by nabkawe » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:03 am

First of all thank you, this app has made my work a lot easier and faster, you can't believe the hours I saved this month using this software, naturally I donated as soon as I could, I'm sure I'll continue to do so over time without expectations of support or updates.

I have small suggestions that'll go a long way towards making this application a bit more perfect and all of them involve Cursor icons.

* Button held is an amazing command it's what I use most, it's very versatile but lacks visual feedback.
I can't tell if the time set was passed sometimes and I end up with lots of trial and error, that why if you assign a unique cursor icons for each time stage it would make it a lot easier to utilize all three stages knowing I could cancel the command by moving the mouse anytime I mess my timing up.

* Simulated Key strokes, again to provide visual feedback it would be great if an hour glass cursor can be used as part of the simulated key strokes line like so {ShowCursorBusy} ---- commands --- {DisableCursorBusy}

* Layers and Cursor icon, Cursor icons can also be used to indicate the number of layer currently in use, making it a lot easier to navigate in apps that blocks the task bar.

Thank you so much for all of your hard work, I don't expect this feature to be implemented though I think you'll appreciate the usefulness it'll introduce to the app.

phil
Site Admin

Re: Feature suggestion, Changing Cursor icon

Post by phil » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:39 am

Well, that's a good idea that I hadn't considered :). XMBC does use cursors when locking the axis and when changing movement to scroll so its something that can be done. My only concern is that changing the mouse cursor system wide is strangely very CPU intensive (I don't know why) so if I can figure out a way to do so without too much resource usage that introduces lag, then I will give it a go.

Consider it added to my todo list (no promises as to when I might get round to it :)).
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-6600k, Asus 170-A, 16GB DDR4,
nVidia GeForce GTX 970, 2xEvo 850 (RAID 0), 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:35 pm

One problem, I cant set animated cursors globally - that is, I have to change the system cursors when doing this, and MIcrosoft's SetSystemCursor API (which is the only way to do it as far as I can see) does not animate the cursors..

So setting the busy cursor from simkeys will show the hour glass/blue circle but it will not animate :(.
--[ Phil ]--

sukemaru
Committed

Post by sukemaru » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:33 pm

Instead of changing the entire cursor, I will suggest to let numeric-icons (symbols) or pop-up-hint appear near the normal mouse-pointer, additionally :?:

suke
Logitech AnywhereMX (7 Btn), M555b (5 Btn) w/ SetPoint v6.32
Microsoft WirelessLaserMouse8000 (5 Btn), WLM5000 (5 Btn) w/ IntelliPoint v6.30
XMBC: now Latest BETA as Portable (since v1.48, 2009)

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:42 pm

Yes that would be nice, but unfortunately, while doing this in your own application may be relatively trivial, doing it system wide is less so, the only way I can think of doing it would be to create a new top level window that moves with the cursor - and goes above all other windows - effectively creating my own entire cursor view - and that might not play well with other top level windows, or in games (actually changing the cursor probably wont play well in games either).

The "simple" solution might be to add such glyphs to the cursor itself (maybe dynamically by merging the cursor image and an overlay image) and let Windows worry about displaying it, it just wont be animated while in this state.

Either way, its not a simple quick solution...
--[ Phil ]--