I have upgraded the board - please let me know if you have any problems

Double-click with drag?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
tstevens
New User

Double-click with drag?

Post by tstevens » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:51 am

Hi,
I'm a recent convert to X-Mouse Button Control, since Kensington can't get their act together & provide win7 x64 support for the expert mouse. I actually always hated their software, and I'm very impressed indeed w/this little app.

However (of course there's a however! :), there's one key behavioral difference that I can't get over. As I'm sure you know the expert mouse has 4 main buttons, I've got the upper right button defined as "double click".

In kensington MW, a double click will "drag" if you keep that button down; X-Mouse won't. Can that be added?

In other words, what I'd like it to do is send the first click, then the second click DOWN but not to send "UP" until the button is actually released.

It seems trivial I guess, but of course muscle memory of 10+ years of using the various forms of this trackball is hard to break.

Any chance this could be changed/added?

Thanks! :D
Tim

phil
Site Admin

Re: Double-click with drag?

Post by phil » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:32 pm

I'm not sure why XMBC cant already do this.

Firstly, FYI. I'm not aware of the Kensington mice or how many buttons it has or has not!
Does XMBC currently see this 4th button? If so, what does it show up as - button 4?

Are you asking for the double click action to be changed (or a new action added) so that it behaves differently if you actually double click the button? The main problem I see with this, is all of a sudden XMBC needs to look not at a single mouse message, but a combination of mouse messages, sent in a given sequence, and in a given time period, before deciding what to do. Admittedly its not rocket science, but its a reasonable addition to how it currently works.

What it would have to do (I guess - and tell me if you think this is wrong)

Code: Select all

Receive button down message
    -> Start timer for <x milliseconds> (where x is your windows double click time or something)
ether: Timer goes off
           -> Send double click
or:      Receive a second button down message (ie. before timer went off)
           -> Scrap the timer and instead send a "Left Click Drag"
Does that sound about right?

Due to the complexity, I will wait for your answer before thinking any further, and I cant commit to actually being able to do this until I've had a play around in the code to see if its possible!

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-6600k, Asus 170-A, 16GB DDR4,
nVidia GeForce GTX 970, 2xEvo 850 (RAID 0), 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)

tstevens
New User

Post by tstevens » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:32 pm

Hi Phil,
Thanks for the reply - my responses below:
phil wrote:I'm not sure why XMBC cant already do this.

Firstly, FYI. I'm not aware of the Kensington mice or how many buttons it has or has not!
Does XMBC currently see this 4th button? If so, what does it show up as - button 4?
Yes, it does see this top right button, it actually shows as button 5 (technically there are 4 big buttons & then also a scroll wheel/middle button). Top left button is button 4.
phil wrote:Are you asking for the double click action to be changed (or a new action added) so that it behaves differently if you actually double click the button?
I guess a new item added is preferable since people may already be relying on the current behavior.
phil wrote:The main problem I see with this, is all of a sudden XMBC needs to look not at a single mouse message, but a combination of mouse messages, sent in a given sequence, and in a given time period, before deciding what to do. Admittedly its not rocket science, but its a reasonable addition to how it currently works.
Not sure, but don't think it has to be too complicated. When a user clicks & holds the "normal" left button & then drags, text etc is selected. I expect there is nothing especially unique you have to do in that situation?

In the case I am talking about, it's basically like if the user double clicks but doesn't release the button immediately with the 2nd click, instead they drag to select, and then release when what they want is selected.
phil wrote:What it would have to do (I guess - and tell me if you think this is wrong)

Receive button down message
    -> Start timer for <x milliseconds> (where x is your windows double click time or something)
ether: Timer goes off
           -> Send double click
or:      Receive a second button down message (ie. before timer went off)
           -> Scrap the timer and instead send a "Left Click Drag"
Does that sound about right?
I think it would be more like this:

Receive button down message (button 5 in my example)
  -> Send first single click, followed by second single click+hold
Receive button up message
  -> release hold
But maybe it's not as simple as it sounds :lol:

Let me know if I'm not making sense... Thanks!

Tim

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:06 am

OK, yes your making sense - and if your theory plays out it will be nice and easy...
I will try and put together a version for you to test (typical you had to raise this 1 day after I released 1.50! :))

I'll let you know how I get on, and PM you a beta link if need be.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-6600k, Asus 170-A, 16GB DDR4,
nVidia GeForce GTX 970, 2xEvo 850 (RAID 0), 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)