Smoothing

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
sholle
New User

Smoothing

Post by sholle » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:42 pm

I have a problem with hand tremors. Do you have any plans to add something like "steady mouse" functionality to your product?

If not, would you be willing to share the technique you used for intercepting global mouse events and altering them?

I am an average c# programmer and would be willing to take a shot at it but what I've tried so far has really bogged the system. I have used the "Global Mouse Hook" tool so far. maybe I'm using the wrong environment? Is the code for XMouse written in c#, c++, ?

I would be completely willing to share whatever I come up with for your consideration and use.

phil
Site Admin

Re: Smoothing

Post by phil » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:03 pm

Hi, it is not something I have considered, but unfortunately its not something that I think csan be done reliably in XMBC. You seem XMBC also uses global mouse hooks, and it is not possible to modify the messages in there, only to intercept and throw them away and inject new messages.

This is likely to cause cursor lag and is why I have steered well clear in the past. I suppose it may be possible to filter out large movements (reject them) but again, not sure it will be reliable.

XMBC is written in C++ which probably gives it some advantage in performance over C# (at least the system does not have to go from unmanged to managed and back to unmanged for every single mouse message (which I can see really affecting performance!).

My feeling is that this really belongs at driver level where you can be sure of the timing and not have to wait around for the Windows scheduler to give you some time - thats the biggest problem with global hooks - its not so important with mouse buttons, but cursor movement messages come in very quickly!

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-6600k, Asus 170-A, 16GB DDR4,
nVidia GeForce GTX 970, 2xEvo 850 (RAID 0), 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)