½ key not working with ACDSee

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
r4ptor
New User

½ key not working with ACDSee

Post by r4ptor » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:06 am

I've created ½{right} as simulated keystroke, but ACDSee Ultimate 2018 isn't recognizing the ½ part (tilde key / the key above TAB). I tested with Notepad and here it worked.

Previously (until 6 months or so ago) I used X-Mouse along with an earlier version of ACDsee and didn't have this problem.

Any ideas?

phil
Site Admin

Re: ½ key not working with ACDSee

Post by phil » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:14 pm

I'm not familiar with your keyboard layout - that looks like a different key to that on my keyboard (above the tab) I have ¬.
Tilde is above the hash (UK layout). Can you link to a picture just to clarify?

If it worked before and it does not now then either ACDSee has changed or an XMBC change has broken it I guess. You could try older versions of XMBC to ACDSee to test if that is the case?

It may be possible to send the key using {VKC:xxx} where xxx is the virtual keycode for that key required (you may be able to find it on Google or I may if you can assist with the picture of the keyboard/name of the language/layout). But I suspect thats only going to help if the problem is in XMBC (which I doubt but cant be sure).

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-6600k, Asus 170-A, 16GB DDR4,
nVidia GeForce GTX 970, 2xEvo 850 (RAID 0), 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)

r4ptor
New User

Post by r4ptor » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:25 pm

It's Danish keyboard layout. Following photo shows both Danish and US layouts.

http://www.datacal.com/images/product/large/1114.jpg

I found the root of the problem and it boils down to keyboard layouts. Until about a couple of years ago, I used both Danish and US keyboard layouts throughout many many years whereas now, I only use Danish. I used to do that mainly, and ironically, because of hotkeys and a long time habit of using US keyboard layout, so much so that the US layout was my default too.

I found a fresh portable XMBC v2.9.2 on my computer and discovered, I also still have the previous "install" of portable XMBC v2.9.2, with its configuration file intact.

Here's my findings:
Fresh 2.9.2 with ½ key: will not work
Previous 2.9.2 with the old configuration: works - it uses the US equivalent hotkey.

If I once again add US keyboard layout:
Latest XMBC will work, but only when I switch to US keyboard layout. I actually don't like that as I don't want to use multiple layouts anymore.
Old 2.9.2 works regardless of the layout being used - in fact I don't need to add the US layout at all. I like that a lot.

I'll see about this VKC thing which is something I never messed with before - but beside that it looks like I'll have to use the older version - which I think is fine for me and for now, tbh.

I'm actually quiet happy I can use XMBC again even though I won't be able to use all 9 buttons on my mouse. I'm currently using Logitech Gaming Software and what a frustrating mess it is.

Edit: I can't get the VKC thing to work at all.

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:17 pm

Hi,

I'm a bit confused, you say a fresh install of 2.9.2 does not work, but the old install of 2.9.2 does work? Then there must be a different setting.
What have you got the setting "Load US English keyboard layout" set to in advanced settings (on both versions)? Thats the only think I can see that might have an impact?

Thanks,
Phil

PS. Sorry for the delay, I was ill last weekend.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-6600k, Asus 170-A, 16GB DDR4,
nVidia GeForce GTX 970, 2xEvo 850 (RAID 0), 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)