Disable the CTRL-ALT-Rightmousebutton doublecklick hotkey

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
alex
New User

Disable the CTRL-ALT-Rightmousebutton doublecklick hotkey

Post by alex » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:54 am

Is it possible to disable the hotkey that disables X-Mouse Button Control? I am playing a game (Guild Wars) and with this game it happens quite often that I press this combination in the normal gameplay and find my mouse configuration accidently disabled. This is very frustrating and actually prevents the proper operation of this fine program for me.

Another question: I have a 6 button mouse (Fujitsu-Siemens Laser Mouse GL5600) and Windows 7 64-bit. The ordinary 5 buttons and the two Tilt Wheel clicks are detected fine by XBC, but the additional (6th) button is not. Any chance to get this added? The mouse uses the Microsoft "HID-conformant mouse" driver and has an additional program that runs in the task bar. That program is able to remap mouse clicks just like XBC, including the additional button. This program stops working after hibernating and it does not allow application-specific configurations, so I would love to use XBC instead of it.

If I terminate the other program and enable debug logging in XMB, no message is logged for the 6th button. Do you listen only for known mouse messages? Or could you perhaps try to log every message that comes from the mouse driver and see which one could perhaps correspond to the additional button?

phil
Site Admin

Re: Disable the CTRL-ALT-Rightmousebutton doublecklick hotkey

Post by phil » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:04 am

I'll look inot adding a disable for the hotkey (and/or configuration of the hotkey) in the next version.

As for the 6th button, I believe Im already logging every mouse message (apart from mouse move - that would be a little silly) when you enable debug mode. Which would suggest that the 6th button is not sending normal windows messages - and inturn leads the the question... how does the supplied app work?!

I will try and check this tomorrow (its rather late here right now) and make sure Im correct on that last statement.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-9600k, Asus Z390-ROG, 16GB DDR4,
nVidia GeForce GTX 970, Evo 970 500Gb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)

alex
New User

Post by alex » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:32 pm

The supplied app does not install a driver, it is simply that app. It is a *.exe, a *.dll and a *.dat file.

So it seems to be possible to determine the pressing of the additional button from the standard MS driver. If it is possible to help you by installing some kind of message spying program or whatever, I am happy to help. Perhaps there is a generic way to detect additional buttons and this would work with every device.

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:32 pm

Perhaps there is a generic way to detect additional buttons and this would work with every device.
I wish that were true... but I know its not. There is one device so far, (with the rather generic name of "officemouse") which I have successfully detected the 6th button, using "standard" mouse messages it actually modifies some data in the extra info supplied with the button press. But all others don't do it that way (including my logitech mouse which I have never been able to detect in many years of trying different things).

I guess your mouse *must* behave like the office mouse that I have previously seen. Hopefully in the same way exactly because then all you need to do is enable officemouse mode (using the command line or a hidden setting in the XML file)!

I can provide a program to debug out all the mouse button messages received from the driver if XMBC isn't already doing that - but I'm at work right now so it will have to wait at least until I get home.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:27 pm

OK I can confirm, as suspected, that every non-"mouse move" message IS logged when you enable debug logging... So if you enable debug logging and then don't see any log entries at all when you press the 6th button, your out of luck.

Until you can find out how their software does it, I cant help. Its possible that they use use Direct Input which might give more information but does not easily work along side the low level hooks that I use because you essentially get two messages, at different times and its impossible to tie them together. There are programs out there to show direct input based mouse info which might help prove/disprove that theory.

EDIT: Incidentally, the OfficeMouse I was referring to sends a WM_MBUTTONDOWN/WM_MBUTTONUP (middle button) for the 6th button but has a flag on the extra info of 04 to signify that its not the normal middle button... So look in the log for ANY mouse message occurring when you press the middle button.

Thanks, and sorry!
Phil
--[ Phil ]--

alex
New User

Post by alex » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:57 pm

Thank you very much for your investigation. My 6th button does not give any message. Nothing happens in the debug if I press it, so it seems that my mouse don't work like your office mouse.
I looked for a message spy program, found something called "Interspy", and this program also shows every mouse move and every click of every button - apart from the additional button.

Then I am out of luck as you said, until I aquire and fire up a debugger and trace that mouse application, but that is something for a long cold winter evening or two.

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:05 pm

If you ever find a solution, please let me know so I can try and integrate it into XMBC.
Likewise, I will keep you posted if I ever stumble across a generic solution.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--

alex
New User

Post by alex » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:14 pm

I found something. The mouse app probably uses a second (proprietary) device that appears along with the mouse device.
Clipboard01.jpg
If I unplug the mouse ("HID-konforme Maus"), both devices disappear from the device manager.

Which leads me to my retired mouse, a Microsoft Razer Habu, and this device has the interesting feature that you can freely assign keyboard buttons to mouse buttons and you save this configuration to the mouse itself. You can now plug the mouse into any machine you want and immediately have the redefined buttons without extra driver installation. This works, because that mouse installs a keyboard-like device along with the mouse device. Unfortunately, that mouse misses the 6th button. oh well...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:57 pm

At least the other device explains how the 6th button is probably mapped through. Although its not something I'm going to be able to detect without extra custom code (and one of those mice to play with!) so I don't suppose XMBC will ever support that 6th button of yours :(

Thanks for the info.
Phil
--[ Phil ]--

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:55 pm

By the way,in the next version it will be possible to disable the global hot keys AND perhaps more importantly, you will be able to configure the hotkeys for various functions.

The next version is almost ready for testing but I cant say how long it will be before release (there are quite a few changes to test!)

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--