Installation

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
jputre
New User

Installation

Post by jputre » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:14 pm

This is so obvious it must be my mistake, so I apologize in advance.
In can't get XMouseButton to install. The Wizard runs and seems to quit half-way through, though it says it finishes. The file never appears in my Programs directory and seems not to run. I'm using Vista Business x32. Thanks.

phil
Site Admin

Re: Installation

Post by phil » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:22 pm

Firstly, what version are you using the latest (1.48.1?)
Do you get to the finish page that says "Run X-Mouse Button Controll"?

The installation should create an item in the start menu (all programs) under "Highresolution Enterprises\X-Mouse Button Control" and it should be in c:\program files\highresolution enterprises\....

If You should also see the program icon when its running (near the clock in the system tray).

Other than that I don't really know what else to ask, so I will wait for your answers :)
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9, Logitech MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-9600k, Asus Z390-ROG, 16GB DDR4,
nVidia GeForce GTX 970, Evo 970 500Gb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)

jputre
New User

Post by jputre » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:36 pm

"Firstly, what version are you using the latest (1.48.1?)
Do you get to the finish page that says "Run X-Mouse Button Controll"?

The installation should create an item in the start menu (all programs) under "Highresolution Enterprises\X-Mouse Button Control" and it should be in c:\program files\highresolution enterprises\....

If You should also see the program icon when its running (near the clock in the system tray)."

The version I d/l'ed this a.m. (9/4/09). That should be 1.48.1, yes?
Nothing appears in the start menu (the line at the bottom right), and no icon appears on the desktop. Both observations plus no listing in the Programs folder leads me to suspect that the program never completes running despite the appearance of the "Finish" button in the Wizard. I've tried re-running several times, but always with the same result. I'm baffled.

And many thanks for an astonishingly swift reply!!!

Thank you.

John

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:22 pm

OK sounds like you might have found a problem...
Yes 1.48.1 is what your will get if you download it from my download page :)

Downloadtube have been very nice and produced a installation tutorial video, perhaps you can have a look at that and tell me if the finish screen you see is the same as that one? It sounds like something is going wrong, and therefore maybe you getting a different finish screen (although that somewhat baffles me as I'm not sure how that can happen!)

The installation video is here: http://www.downloadtube.com/X-Mouse-But ... ndows.html (its based on XP but the screens should look the same). Can you compare that with what you see and tell me the difference if any?

Just to confirm, you are running the installation with an administrative account (UAC elevation)? I don't think you can run it any other way but its worth asking!

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--

jputre
New User

Post by jputre » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:46 pm

"Just to confirm, you are running the installation with an administrative account (UAC elevation)? I don't think you can run it any other way but its worth asking!"

Definitely worth asking, but yes. It's my machine. I'm the administrator and all else there is. I clean the screen when it needs it.

"Downloadtube have been very nice and produced a installation tutorial video, perhaps you can have a look at that and tell me if the finish screen you see is the same as that one? It sounds like something is going wrong, and therefore maybe you getting a different finish screen (although that somewhat baffles me as I'm not sure how that can happen!)"

I watched the tutorial. I never get the "Welcome" screen. Somehow the installation seems to cut out in the middle. As I say, there's no record of the installation in 'Program Files."

Has to be something elementary I'm doing wrong! Can my version of Vista be an issue? It's the one that came with my machine in 2007. If you need more info, tell me where to look.

I'm trying to install a Kensington Expert Mouse, if that's of any any help. I didn't install their Mouseworks, because I didn't think I should. Then, when XMouseButton didn't work out, I tried their software. But that didn't help -- as I thought it wouldn't -- so I uninstalled it and started again from scratch.

Again, thanks. I'm sure the error is one of those small and obvious ones that you hit yourself in the forehead for later.

John

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:37 am

Now I'm really confused, you didn't get the installer welcome screen either?
Did you get a screen asking for the folder to install to, and then a screen asking for the settings folder, with a check box to "delete (reset)" any settings?

I don't think there should be any problem with you OS, although I would recommend installing the latest service pack (SP2) if you haven't already done so (although I wouldn't expect that to help here). The only think I'm starting to wonder, is if something went wrong with the download. What is the full filename and size of the file that you are running to install this?

Can you take a screen shot (press PtrScn or ALT+PrtScn and then paste the result into an email) of the first (and final) screens and email them to me at Image

Many thanks, and sorry I cant think of anything else just yet.
Phil

PS. If your going to quote my message then the Quote button makes it a lot easier to read :)
--[ Phil ]--

jputre
New User

Post by jputre » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:07 pm

Good morning --
I couldn’t make the print-screen work, so I’ll try to do this verbally.
First, the d/l seems to have worked. I have both 1.47 and 1.48.1 stored on my machine. I’m looking at the Properties screen for 1.48.1 as I type. D/l’ed yesterday, 2.35 MB, so it seems to have arrived intact.
AND I MAY HAVE JUST FOUND THE ANSWER!
There’s a “Security” warning at the bottom of the Properties-General screen. I can’t copy it – I just tried – but it says “Security This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer.” There is than an “Unblock” button to the right.
I’m going to unblock it now and try a re-run.
And it still didn’t work. I leave the above as a footnote which may be useful to someone else.
When I go to where the file is stored (my documents folder), it shows it as application file. When I double-click on the file, it starts a Wizard which says “This Wizard will help install XMouseButton 1.48.1 on your computer . . . .” It offers a Next button which takes me to an approval screen for placement in the program file which I accept, then a second placement button for an alternative location for settings which I decline by pressing Next with no alternative entered to accept the original.
The Wizard then starts what seems a normal installation. The green progress line begins to move across and notes on the progress appear below. Then, about a third of the way across, the green line abruptly quits and the Finish screen for the Wizard appears. But, of course, when I look back, no installation has taken place.
If you want to give my further instructions on the screen shot, I’ll try again.
Meanwhile, continued thanks.
John

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:01 pm

Well it sounds pretty normal to me... but you didn't describe the finish page...
Does it look like (exactly) this?
finish.png
Just worth noting, the progress bar only seems to get to about 50% on my machine before it dissapears and moves onto the finish page - I think that's just how the nullsoft installer works out its progess (ie. not very well) with only a few small files to install (which is quick) but I will check. When this happens for me, it has installed fine.

I'm still at a loss as to what could be wrong. If the files do not end up in C:\Program Files\Highresolution Enterprises\X-Mouse Button Control (do the folders even get created)?

One other thing to check, open up the services control panel, and see if there is a service called "XMouseButton Launcher" (which should be there after an install on Vista).

Thanks
Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--[ Phil ]--

jputre
New User

Post by jputre » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:51 pm

Success. And humiliation.

After about an hour of searching I found the Highrez File -- where it should have been, and was all along, under Program Files. My problem -- it was not in alphabetical order as are the rest of the entries, but rather was at the top of the file. XMouse runs perfectly now.

My assumption; my own stupidity.

Thank you for the program, and, more especially, for all your help.